Tallahassee Police Investigating Possible "Salesmen" Scam

By: TPD Release
By: TPD Release

Tallahassee, Florida --

Yesterday, October 21 at approximately 4:00PM, the Tallahassee Police Department responded to several complaints in reference to broken windshields. Five citizens contacted the Tallahassee Police Department complaining about two door-to-door “salesmen” who wanted to repair the owners’ vehicle windshields. In each case, the owners were not aware of any damage until the “salesmen” pointed out the damage.

The incidents all occurred in the 3500 block of Lands End Lane and the 3200 block of Emerson Lane. The Tallahassee Police Department reminds citizens to report suspicious activity and verify the business license, including references of any solicitor before allowing work to be completed.

• by Tally is onto you Location: Uranus on Oct 22, 2010 at 03:47 PM
    Year or two back this company almost got me. I figured out that their replacement glass wouldn't be covered under my insurance (so I'd be stuck with a 1k bill as, "oops when trying to fix that crack -your windshield broke"). One of the salesmen from this company (probably not one of these two -as I imagine they have a high turnover) even went as far to mislead me to a 3rd party "insurance vendors". I got in touch with the "insurance vendor" to cancel the 'repair'. Since then they've stopped by 4 more times, once within 15 minutes apart. They've called me numerous times as they farm their contacts list out to new hire salesmen. I know exactly which "company" these guys work for.
  • by sam Location: street on Oct 22, 2010 at 01:46 PM
    I don't want any body creating business. click clack...
  • by Anonymous on Oct 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM
    We had the same thing happen twice within a week. Two young guys with clipboards saying they will be in the neighborhood next week to replace a windshield and wanted to know if we wanted ours done too. We called the cops. The guys are casing the neighborhood to later come back and rob the place. Call the cops when this happens.
  • by ReadTheSignDummy Location: Tallahassee on Oct 22, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    I live in this neighborhood and there are clearly posted signs not to solicit when you enter the neighborhood. I know from experience that the signs don't mean anything to these guys. They are just looking for a quick buck at anyone's expense.
  • by CharlieBrown Location: Tallahassee on Oct 22, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    There are LEGITIMATE businesses in our area that do assign Salemen/Ladies to designated areas everyday for up to 10-12 hours @ day to solicit & write up claims to get windshields repaired or replaced with proper insurance coverage. Please don't knock the "legitimate Salesperson" because one of them is my son and he's working long and hard hours to provide for his family.
  • by Commonsense Location: Tallahassee on Oct 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    This has been going on for atleast few years. They have come to my door twice in the last 18 months or so. They give the speal about repairing/replacing your windshield (if damaged), then charging the bill strait to your insurance company. I told them it there was any damage to my windshied I would take care of it myself, with me choosing who and where to have the work done. I don't think these guys are (all) trying to scam people, but I think it is a little too over zelous sales tact. Whats next, Car salesmen walking through neighborhoods trying to sell cars to people with older vehicles parked in the driveways? Not the kind of sales tactice that would make me want to do buisness with that outfit.
  • by GARY Location: CRAWFORDVILLE on Oct 22, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    I have had on two seperate occasions, a person solicit me at my home in Crawfordville trying to get me to do the same thing until they notice my car is brand new, then they leave. I thought it suspicious too, and even if my car weren't new, i would not do business with anyone that just walks up into my yard with a clip board in hand, obviously drenched in sweat from walking around the neighborhood. Just reaks of scam in my opinion; not to mention both times the person just looked "Shady".
  • by Sara Location: Tallahassee on Oct 22, 2010 at 09:19 AM
    They probably were salesmen... My boyfriend briefly had a job with a company in Tallahassee where they went door to door "selling" windshields. The people actually didn't have to buy anything... The windshields were replaced through their insurance, at no cost to the consumer. NOT A SCAM, in other words....
  • by Anonymous on Oct 22, 2010 at 08:42 AM
    this same thing happened to me about a week ago at my apartment complex. funny thing was that i actually had a crack in my windshield, but i still thought it was rather odd.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 105527183 - wctv.tv/a?a=105527183