10-year-old Hit by Car This Morning in Tallahassee

By: Eyewitness News Email
By: Eyewitness News Email

The 10-year old boy was walking to school with his friend on Old St. Augustine Road when he crossed the street illegally in front of a car and the car hit him.

He was transported to TMH and with minor injuries.

The driver of the car will not be charged.

No other information is known at this time.

Stay with WCTV for details.

• by Whooboy Location: Tallahassee on Jan 21, 2011 at 01:25 PM
    Who knows what the details are, but all you have to do is watch the kids in the play area at Chick-fil-A to see that parents don't make their kids follow the rules. I agree, he should not have been walking without a grownup...but then I see kids at the stop near ours in the road while the parents sit in the cars, and this is at the bottom of a hill that you can't see until you are close to the bottom!
  • by Anonymous Location: Tallahassee on Jan 21, 2011 at 09:13 AM
    There is no "FAULT" to one person. It can be a group of things...it could be that the child lives in a 2 mile range and is not on a bus route and has to walk. It could be that with the time changes with schools his parents are at work and they have no money for before school care, it could be the simple fact that there is not enough sidewalks on any of the roads in tallahassee. have you had a look on Whirlaway Trail! There is NO sidewalk and there are tons of kids having to walk to school to roberts or montford. Scarry when people don't drive decent. It could be the child who was just not paying attention. Again, its not one persons fault. Just don't know WHO's fault it would be.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 21, 2011 at 07:51 AM
    I see people that will not move out of the road as well. I teach my kids that a person in a car does not always see you, so don't assume that the do. I also tell them to always use the crosswalk when there is one, I see people a few steps away from the cross walk in the middle of the downtown traffic. Makes no sense.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 21, 2011 at 07:41 AM
    I am not sure if the road is city or county, but, there are county and state roads inside the city limits. DESIGNATED Canopy roads are HIGHLY protected within Leon County. It is close to impossible to have that changed. I don't agree with it at all. I think they are beautiful but lives can not be replaced. There are some that will say that a 80-100 year old tree can not either, but I feel lives are more important.
  • by Hank Location: Tallahassee on Jan 20, 2011 at 09:25 PM
    anyone who knows anything about children knows that at that age they shouldnt be walking without an adult. PERIOD. They are too young!!
  • by Soowhatt . Location: California on Jan 20, 2011 at 06:41 PM
    Either way, he's 10 years old.! Some of you are so heartless. It doesn't mean his parents did a sucky job at raising him, just because he didn't know what cross walks were. I'm 15, & just learned THIS year what they were. Selfish people. It's so sad.
  • by Heike Miller Location: Valdosta,GA on Jan 20, 2011 at 03:48 PM
    The important thing is, he's ok. Thats all that matters. Accidents happen, its not necessarily anyones fault. God was certainly there with him. He's a very lucky kid
  • by Ima Location: Tallahassee on Jan 20, 2011 at 03:02 PM
    Nicole, if you "DIDNT KNOW WHAT CROSS WALKS WERE AT 10 YEARS OLD", your parents did a crummy job of raising you. Too many parents do a SLOPPY job of raising their kids, and think that nothing bad will ever happen. Well, bad stuff does happen when you do stupid, careless things and your parents disn't teach you any better.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2011 at 02:54 PM
    Surprised, Please don't take this as a smart reply. I know that building sidewalks and widening the roads make it safer. Why don't we do this? We don't have the money to do this. We have deficits at all levels of government because we have put too much onto our governments. If the road isn't safe for pedestrians, then pedestrians do not need to be there. We can not fix every problem, and we shouldn't try. You have to take some responsibility for yourself (we all do) and not depend on anyone (especially the government) to keep us safe.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2011 at 01:47 PM
    NICOLE, Who's fault do you think it is if isn't his fault. Please do not blame this on Bush. If he is not old enough to walk to school, or bus stop, (or doesn't know how to walk and cross the road) his parents shouldn't have let him walk. His parents were not there to make the decision to cross the road where he did, so they can't be blamed for that decision. He was walking without supervision so it is his fault he crossed the road. No one else made the decision to cross the road where he did, only him. Please quit playing the pity game because it is clouding your judgment. Sometimes you make bad decisions and you get hurt. He is lucky he only got hurt. I know you're going to flame me for my position, but it's OK because deep down you know I'm right.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114273099 - wctv.tv/a?a=114273099