16-year-old Florida Boy Dies in Vehicle Crash

By: Eyewitness News Email
By: Eyewitness News Email

A 16-year-old boy dies in vehicle crash over the weekend, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Devon Allen Bozeman was driving a Ford Ranger alone on S.R.-247, about 12 miles south of Lake City, when he struck a large Oak Tree that was located on the edge of S.R.-247`s northbound right of way.

The tree strike was on the driver's door.

Suwannee County E.M.S. pronounced Bozeman deceased at the scene of the fatal crash.

The family was notified by the Florida Highway Patrol.

• by Mark Bozeman Location: Branford on Mar 16, 2011 at 06:16 PM
    Thanks Amy, Jessica,Blahh and John for your words, they mean alot. The young Child/Teenager/Son/Nephew/Brother/Friend was my son. To let those that think he was texting or talking,he wasnt, his phone was in his pocket;eating,wasnt doing that either;drunk or on drugs, toxicology shows 0% so thats a no as well. He simply fell asleep driving while headed to go hunting (lack of sleep, cant wait for Sonny and the others to attack this). I love the fact that people jump to what they feel would have changed this. The fact is it happened, your smart remarks wont bring him home to me, his mom, his sister, or his 10 yr old brother. He is gone...to Pete who called us stupid...thanks! I have two daughters in college, my 16 yr old son was prepping for college, and my 10 yr old is already talking future. I dont think we failed as parents or by any means stupid. Accidents happen and that is what this was, people die in accidents everyday of all ages. I pray none of you ever face this, not even close!
      by Amy on Mar 21, 2011 at 11:51 AM in reply to Mark Bozeman
      Let us know please, Mark and family , if there is anything we can do. I know it hurts, and it probably always will. But, hopefully through friendship and love, we can maybe make it bareable. I hope you see the sunshine again. My son is still at the highschool. I believe your daughter knows him. D. Blunt. Please feel free to contact us through him or to shout out through facebook. It is Amy Rutherford. May God be with you today and always..
  • by Amy Location: Lake City, Fl. on Feb 20, 2011 at 06:37 PM
    I think it is absolutely rediculous that people post on things like this without either knowing the family or the teenager/child in this accident. My son was a friend to this boy.I think it is a shame that conclusions are drawn and statements are made soley on an article placed in a paper. 16 may be young, but it doesn't have to mean that you are irresponsible. And why is it, that it always ALWAYS is the teenagers ( childs) fault, automatically? Maybe you were irresponsible and so assume that every teenager/ child must be the same. Way to profile. Just so you people know, not all of the details are placed in ads or posts. And, just something else I think you should know, This boy was known by many, and loved by all of those people. He had a bright future ahead of him. This "irresponsible" teenager/child was prepping for his future, looking into becoming a Wildlife Officer. I agree with the fact that driving is a huge responsibility, but accidents happen people. Accidents happen.
  • by Sonny Location: Tallahassee on Feb 11, 2011 at 08:20 PM
    Jessica..a 16 year old does not possess the wherewithal to be in charge of 2000 lbs of metal. They just don't. And I don't want to hear about "how mature" you were at that age, or anyone else in your family. I'll admit I wasn't, and if I'd have been driving at 16 (not legal where I'm from) then I'd probably be dead too. PS...you answered you're own post when you identified him asa "child" instead of a teenager.
  • by Sonny Location: Tallahassee on Feb 11, 2011 at 08:17 PM
    yep...I think at least 18 is close enough. Still not mature enough, I know I wasn't. But, since they're able to move out and pay their own way at 18, might as well let them drive. My kids won't be driving until they're 18.
  • by Jessica Location: Lake City, Florida on Feb 10, 2011 at 09:47 AM
    It amazes me that readers simply assume that because this child was 16 he was a irresponsible driver and may have contributed to the cause of the accident. This family has lost their loved one and my heart goes out to them!
  • by Hard At Work on Feb 10, 2011 at 07:30 AM
    I totally agree with Pete Zahut.
      by Mark Bozeman on Mar 18, 2011 at 08:52 PM in reply to Hard At Work
      I am shocked....I lose my son and not one but two people call us stupid.....Thanks! I have 2 other kids, can you give me fatherly advice, since you and Pete know everything....we need all the help we can get.....being stupid and all......
  • by Pete Zahut on Feb 10, 2011 at 05:54 AM
    Wanna make a difference? - don't let children drive alone (without an adult) until they're 18 - AND - actually make them learn to drive. Not the way their stupid parents and about 2/3 of the "drivers" drive - but make them actually learn how to control a car and, above all, PAY ATTENTION to the road and their surroundings. That means NO cell phones, NO texting, no eating while driving ... TAKE IT SERIOUSLY, folks.
      by Mark Bozeman on Mar 18, 2011 at 08:46 PM in reply to Pete Zahut
      I am shocked that at the loss of my son, you found a reason to call us stupid.You dont know us and by thinking changeing the age of driving would stop an accident from happening. You dont think for a second that I wish I could have done something different, you dont think that I wish I would have told him no on hunting, going off...something...but I guess I am just stupid! I wish wehen we ate together for the LAST time, I would have told him to ride with me and not drive. I wish when I woke him up that morning for the LAST time to stay in bed all day...but the LAST time i made a decision was my LAST decision on what he could do while he was alive. My following decision for him was what clothes he would wear to his funeral, what color casket....Im surprised I could make such a decision being stupid and all. I am not sure if you have kids or not Pete...if you do look at them, hold them...then imagine never holding them again! Then go another step and read where some guy calls you stupid. Thanks Pete, I am going to go cry again due to my stupid decision I made for my son. I pray you never even come close to what we have lived thru, I pray protection over your family, its unbelieveable looking in a casket and a part of you is laying there.....
  • by yep Location: tally on Feb 9, 2011 at 05:46 PM
    Look at that trees jumping out in front of people again! @ sonny: What age should people start driving then?
  • by Sonny Location: Tallahassee on Feb 9, 2011 at 01:28 PM
    ...and this, boys and girls, is why 16 year olds do not belong behind the wheel...wake up people.
      by Mark Bozeman on Mar 18, 2011 at 08:50 PM in reply to Sonny
      Thanks Sonny, I think we are awake now! Since you seem to have all the answers, I have a ton of questions for you! i hope this never happens to your family....ever!
  • by John Location: Tallahasee on Feb 9, 2011 at 01:12 PM
    Just want to offer my condolences to the family and friends of this young man.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115655004 - wctv.tv/a?a=115655004