Five Years Later Barney Taylor Murder Still Unsolved

UPDATED 9.21.2012 by Julie Montanaro

A Tallahassee man was gunned down in his own business five years ago today.

Yet the gunman is still on the loose. Deputies have never been able to figure out who did it.

68 year old Barney Taylor was killed in his office at Tallahassee Roofing September 21, 2007.

Deputies believe Taylor was robbed and shot early that morning before anyone else showed up for work. No one has ever been arrested for it and Taylor's family is still waiting for justice.

"This is no more easy news to take for the family than it was five years ago," Leon County Sheriff's Office SGT Leilani Marsh said. "We are not at a position at this point to name a suspect."

Marsh says this case may be cold, but tips continue to come in, including some this year.

"We have actually received a couple of leads that have been worthwhile leads, without going into great detail," Marsh said.

"So this case file has been opened in the past year?"

"Yes, absolutely," Marsh said. "We have taken visits out of town. We are actively pursuing this case."

A $31,000 reward posted soon after Taylor's murder still stands, Marsh says.

If you have any information about the robbery and murder of Barney Taylor, you are asked to call Crime Stoppers at 850-574-TIPS or the Leon County Sheriff's Office at 850-922-3300.

"They need to call and share with us what they do know about this case, because what they've got may absolutely be pivotal," Marsh said.

September 2008 by Julie Montanaro

It's been a year since a Tallahassee business owner was gunned down in his office and the killer is still on the loose.

Sunday will mark the one year anniversary of Barney Taylor's murder, and though leads have been few and far between, his family remains optimistic that one day it will be solved.

September 21, 2007. 68 year old Barney Taylor is found shot to death in his office at the Tallahassee Roofing Company on Tower Road.

A year later, a sign with his picture on it still sits out front, his family hoping someone will eventually slip up or call and they will have the answers they desperately seek.

"It's tough. We just keep hoping for the best, hoping that one day somebody, somewhere will say the right thing at the right place and they'll be able to solve it," his son Gene Taylor said.

Siblings Gene, Tracey and Cindy now run the business their father built. Their mother won't set foot in the office where Barney Taylor was robbed and murdered.

Leads have been few, the case all but cold until a tip last month.

Still there are no suspects, no arrests and plenty of frustration.

"It's very difficult. I hate to go to them and have to tell them, you know, I don't have much to report. It's hard to say, because I know it's just something they want solved and I want it solved also," said lead case detective Wiley Meggs.

Gene, Tracey and Cindy say they'll spend the painful anniversary with their mother and visiting their father's grave.

"It's hard, I mean, I just keep hoping that they'll solve it. That's my only thought that one day it'll get solved. You know, I still don't understand why for a few dollars they did what they did," Gene Taylor said.

There's lots of reward money on the line in this case too, $31,000 that the family hopes will help convince someone to come forward.

If you have any information on the murder of Barney Taylor, call Crime Stoppers at 850-574-TIPS.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Dave Location: TLH on Sep 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM
    Too bad TPD cant investigate it, maybe then it would get solved
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 28668494 -
Gray Television, Inc.