5 Children Killed After Fire Engulfs Florida Home

By: AP
By: AP

CITRA, Fla. (AP) --

Five siblings were killed in a fire that erupted at a home in central Florida.

Neighbors heard screaming Monday night (11-8) and ran outside to see a house engulfed in flames. The children's mother, Krista Jordan, and
another relative escaped through a window, but the children were
trapped inside. Three brothers, ages 15, 13 and 8; and two sisters,
ages 12 and 6, were killed in the blaze. Their 21-year-old aunt,
Kyla Cole, was severely burned.

The fire does not appear to be suspicious, but the State Fire Marshal's Office is investigating the cause.

• by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    I would have saved my babies even if it meant dying.
  • by TallyTrashTalks2 Location: Tallahassee on Nov 9, 2010 at 09:59 AM
    Losing one child would be unbearable, but to lose five?! Oh my, what a horrible tragedy for any parent to endure. May God bless the mother of those children!
  • by Just can't leave them on Nov 9, 2010 at 09:45 AM
    I would have died in the fire trying to save my kids. No doubt about it. God bless those poor kids and the family. God have mercy on the adults who made it out alive.
  • by ~J~ Location: Tallahassee, FL on Nov 9, 2010 at 07:33 AM
    My heart goes out to the family...May God watch over them during this horriable time.
  • by Zoey Location: Tally on Nov 9, 2010 at 07:04 AM
    If the house was "engulfed" in flames when they awoke, no one can really say what they would do. It is a powerful lesson in the importance of having and maintaining smoke alarms, and for families to practice/drill what to do in a crisis like this. Little kids cannot effectively open windows, doors, locks and latches, particularly in a crisis, so someone has to be charged with rescuing them in the drills. BUT without a smoke alarm, you might simply die in your sleep from the smoke or awake to a home engulfed in flames, and never have the opportunity to escape or to rescue others. I cannot imagine losing your entire family like this. It is truly heart-wrenching.
  • by LOL Location: Tallahassee on Nov 9, 2010 at 05:56 AM
    My initial reaction was the same...how do you escape and leave your children. But then I felt awful for that. It is likely by the time they were escaping there was no way and too late to reach the children. It is a sad sad day. They will feel extreme guilt. They do not need us, with negative thoughts, to add to that.
  • by sunshine Location: monticello fl on Nov 9, 2010 at 05:40 AM
    Lord hold this family in your arms,may they find comfort in your love. praying for the family.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2010 at 05:32 AM
    My heart and prayers to this family. Please Lord, bring peace to this family and help them through this horrible tragedy.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2010 at 05:32 AM
    Why is it that the parents always escape while the children perish. I would die trying to save my child.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106950678 - wctv.tv/a?a=106950678