5 Teens Die in Florida Motel Room

By: CNN; AP
By: CNN; AP

Authorities are investigating the deaths of five teenagers, apparently of carbon monoxide poisoning, after they were found Monday afternoon in a motel in Hialeah, Florida, police and fire officials said.

The five males were located in a room of the Presidente Motel, above a garage where authorities found a running car, Hialeah Fire Department Lt. Cesar Espinosa said. A stairwell door linking the room and the garage was open, he said.

A fire crew that responded to the scene smelled gasoline and evacuated the hotel before finding the five males unconscious inside, Espinosa said.

The gasoline smell came from power tools in a room next door and was apparently unrelated to the deaths, Espinosa said.

The dead included two 19-year-olds, one 18-year old and two 17-year-olds.

Police are waiting for autopsy results to determine the official cause of death, according to police Det. Edward Rodriguez.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Michelle Location: TLH on Dec 29, 2010 at 09:49 AM
    You left a car running in a garage where the vapors can easily rise into other areas. It sounds like murder.
  • by a mama on Dec 28, 2010 at 08:46 AM
    This story is ridiculous! Life is way too short and my heart goes out to all of the families involved in the incident.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 28, 2010 at 07:49 AM
    Tom, You don't know, and can't prove why the door was open.
  • by Tom on Dec 28, 2010 at 07:39 AM
    The stairwell door was probably left open because of the gasoline smell, so I'd say it's related.
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112550039 - wctv.tv/a?a=112550039
Gray Television, Inc.