93-Year-Old Fla. Man on Motorcycle Dies After Hitting Van

By: AP
By: AP

SEBASTIAN, Fla. (AP) --

A 93-year-old died when the motorcycle he was driving hit a parked van.

The incident occurred Tuesday afternoon (1/5) in the Barefoot Bay
mobile home community. Police say Gordon Couchene was riding a
Yamaha motorcycle and did not wear a helmet.

Authorities say 37-year-old Lynn Bedus had parked at the western
end of the 5,000-home retirement community while she waited on a
school bus to arrive.

Paramedics initially revived Couchene, but he later died at the
hospital.

The Florida Highway Patrol says there will be no charges in the
wreck. It was unclear why Couchene ran into the van.

• by RetiredMarine Location: Tall;ahassee on Jan 6, 2011 at 06:08 AM
    Sounds a lot like Coach Bowden. The old guy just didn't know when it was time to quit....
  • by Anonymous on Jan 5, 2011 at 09:49 AM
    CaptainDisbelief, read before you type. It clearly says the van was parked. I think they will figure out a way to overcome their guilt. My sympathy to all.
  • by Surprise Location: leon county on Jan 5, 2011 at 06:21 AM
    Thats the way I won't to go if I make it to that age. "Heart Warmimg Story" RIP.
  • by Human Location: Wakulla on Jan 5, 2011 at 05:45 AM
    YEP!! Better than dying in a nursing home or worse. Hope i am still able to ride my motorcycle when i reach my nineties.
  • by CaptainDisbelief Location: Tally on Jan 5, 2011 at 05:38 AM
    Really? They're unclear as to what caused the accident? A 93-year-old man on a motorcycle... hmm, what a mysterious accident. My sympathy to all involved, especially the driver of the van who will actually have to live with what happened.
  • by Tallahassee Location: Florida on Jan 5, 2011 at 05:25 AM
    dog grooming that isnt as hard as riding a motorcycle dog grooming is just plain queer
  • by Anthony Location: Tallahassee on Jan 5, 2011 at 05:15 AM
    Of course it is a tragedy anytime someone dies, but I get the feeling this guy went out doing what he loved: riding his motorcycle. Kudos to him. I hope that at age 93 I am able to still do what I love....dog grooming.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112928509 - wctv.tv/a?a=112928509