[UPDATE] Fatal Accident on North Monroe

By: Eyewitness News Email
By: Eyewitness News Email

[UPDATE] 2-9 2:45PM --

At approximately 11:05 p.m. on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 the Leon County Sheriff’s Office responded to a single vehicle crash in the 4900 block of North Monroe Street. Traffic Homicide Investigators from
the Leon County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene. The preliminary investigation revealed that a 1993 Toyota Truck driven by Justin M. Sirmons, 25, was traveling north on Monroe Street. The vehicle left the roadway, swerved and began to spin out of control until striking a power pole on the shoulder of the road. Sirmons was pronounced deceased at the scene.

Preliminary results from an autopsy performed today indicate Sirmons’ death was consistent with trauma associated with a traffic crash and appears to be consistent with the evidence located at the
scene.

The investigation into the circumstances surrounding the crash is continuing.

__________________________________________

[UPDATE] 2-9 8AM --

LCSO reports that power has been restored and that the roads are clear.

__________________________________________

UPDATE] 12:50AM- We have confirmed that one person has died in this crash.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tallahassee, FL - The Leon County Sheriff's Office has confirmed a traffic accident is affecting traffic on Highway 27 north of Perkins Road and south Capital Circle NW/Old Bainbridge Road.

The accident happened sometime around 11pm on North Monroe near the Lake Jackson area. A power pole was knocked down from the accident and power lines are stretched across the street. Officers are blocking off traffic in both directions on Highway 27 until the scene can be cleaned and is deemed safe.

No word and what caused the accident or how many vehicles were involved. Also, there has been no update given as to injuries, or how long traffic may be rerouted for.

WCTV has a crew on the way and will provide more information as it becomes available.

• by Brenda Location: Tallahassee on Feb 15, 2011 at 01:47 PM
    My mother and I both knew Justin. He was a great guy and a great friend. I was so shocked when I heard about this. I'm just glad he didn't suffer at all.
  • by Sonny Location: Tallahassee on Feb 11, 2011 at 08:15 PM
    Oh...I've been censored by the media...shocking...
  • by mike Location: tally on Feb 11, 2011 at 02:06 PM
    i know the mother of hunter she is a smart woman who is deeply hurting right now as she will at a later time have to tell hunter how his daddy died going to the store for milk for his son he was not drunk he died instanty (thank goodness) he did not suffer my deep condolances to her and hunter and family
  • by low12 on Feb 10, 2011 at 06:57 PM
    may god b with all friends and family of rooman! u wil b missed bro!
  • by TallyTrashTalks2 Location: Tallahassee on Feb 10, 2011 at 02:51 PM
    @Aunt Carrie: Very nicely worded post! My condolences to you and all the family in your loss. I have to assume the negative comments are made by those so fortunate to have never suffered the loss of family or friend from a car accident, or any other form of accident. I haven't been so fortunate many times and the shock, grief and sadness of something so sudden was nothing like the warning you get from cancer or other illness that death is coming. May you and the rest of your family find comfort in memories of Justin and not worry about the negativity from some, as I'm sure if they live long enough they too will have a walk in your shoes one day.
  • by Sam on Feb 10, 2011 at 02:13 PM
    RIP, way too young to go, my thoughts are with his family
  • by Amy Location: Tallahassee on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    My prayers go up for you, Pam. I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I pray that God gives you everything you need to get through the toughest period of your life and then gives you the strength to endure the rest of your life without Justin. You still need to think about Hunter and what you can give him. It will be hard, but I know you can do it. I love you girl and I am here for you anytime you need me!!!
  • by Anonymous on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    I do not believe that bringing up texting, talking, DUI, doing make-up, reading the paper, watching a movie, or anything else I have seen people doing while driving is saying that this is what this young man was doing. It is just making on observation about the state of drivers today. If you are so sensitive to these comments that you feel they are heartless or insensitive, maybe you shouldn't be reading them.
  • by ADB Location: Tallahassee on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    I agree with most everyone here (with the exception of "cold", what an idiot). For family members reading these comments (myself included), this is not a memorial for Justin, it's just a news story and the comments here should not be taken personally. It's only human for people to wonder and speculate on someone and something they don't know. I'm in no way condoning some of the comments here but I also know that they do not define Justin and the young man that he was. He will be remembered by those who know & love him for the rest of our days, this article/comments are only temporary. @ Tommy - Never say Never. I have read the article atleast 10 times and will probably come back to it 10 more times before I let it go. Whether alcohol or speeding was a factor or not, this should still be a lesson to anyone who gets behind the wheel, no matter how safe of a driver you think you are, this could happen to any one of us on any given day.
  • by tommy on Feb 10, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    why are family members even reading the blog section? The nature of the internet is insensitive, why do you want to know the opinion of random people you dont even know? Reading the blog section would be the last thing i'd be doing right now.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115619059 - wctv.tv/a?a=115619059