Alcohol Detection Devices

By: Jill Chandler Email
By: Jill Chandler Email

Proposed legislation in the United States Senate would redirect 60 million dollars in highway safety money to fund research to develop an alcohol detection device for cars.

The "breathalyzers" can test alcohol levels with a touch of a button, or by testing the air in the car. Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) are already behind the new measure.

Connie Beard, a mother who lost her son because of a drunk driver, says, "If this can prevent any other parent from living my nightmare, than it is a fantastic thing. No one should have to lose their child, their loved one, to the violent, selfish, and preventable crime of drunk driving."

The devices would be available in 8 to 10 years.... Some say this would come as a blessing for the state of Florida, which sees more than one-thousand alcohol related deaths a year.

• by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2011 at 07:43 AM
    no they need one for all of the drugs and alcohol and even something for all these stupid drivers who think they need to talk or text on a cell phone.....loved one killed by drunk driver also was high on everything else
  • by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2011 at 06:55 AM
    Stupid idea. I do not drink, and I do not condone drunk driving, or even impaired driving. What about all the crack heads, heroin users and pill junkies. This would only hit the tip of the iceberg.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2011 at 05:16 AM
    Does Rick Scott have a company producing this equipment that we are unaware of? Maybe it is his wife's business?
  • by Surprise Location: leon county on Mar 29, 2011 at 03:12 AM
    I don't drink get out of my car Uncle Sugar. GRrrrrrrr. ~ Give em and inch and their in your boat, your home and then your person.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 28, 2011 at 08:54 PM
    Somewhere there is a politician who is related to or friends with someone who will make a great deal of money here, regardless of whether or not the product ever hits the market.
  • by danielle Location: tallahasee on Mar 28, 2011 at 07:59 PM
    so how can the designated driver drive home their friends??????????????????....stupid idea!
      by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2011 at 05:30 AM in reply to danielle
      It doesn't fully explain completely how these devices work. It describes 1 way by testing the air in the car for traces of alcohol which does not actually indicate that the driver has been drinking. I am sure there are other ways for this device to test only the driver. Also if this is a device to be put in all cars, how long will it be before there is a hack for it. It will not bee fool proof.
  • by Lip Cheese on Mar 28, 2011 at 05:58 PM
    I vote yes on this one!!
  • by state trooper Location: ga on Mar 28, 2011 at 05:56 PM
    it only cost $12 hundred moreONLY
      by BeMe on Mar 29, 2011 at 03:51 AM in reply to state trooper
      Whay should I pay for a device like that when I don't even drink nor do I allow others to drive my car. This should only be mandatory for people that have had at least one DUI encounter or arrest. I say no.
  • by anonymous Location: tallahassee on Mar 28, 2011 at 05:50 PM
    Do I still live in the United States or did this country become Oceanian? Big Brother is watching you.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118809844 - wctv.tv/a?a=118809844