[UPDATE] The Defense of Casey Anthony

By: CBS News; Associated Press
By: CBS News; Associated Press

[UPDATE] 4-15 Noon -

It’s a murder case that has become a national obsession, gripping headlines since it began nearly three years ago. Casey Anthony, a 22-year-old single mother, was charged for the murder of her 2-year-old daughter Caylee. Caylee’s remains were found in December 2008, near her grandparents’ home in Orlando, Florida. Authorities say duct tape was found wrapped around her skull and her body had been stuffed into two garbage bags and laundry bag. In the days following Caylee’s disappearance, Casey did not show any signs of concern for her missing child, instead, she was seen out at dance clubs and visiting friends. Ever since, there has been a strong public outcry against the Anthony family and many the residents of Florida and around the country say they are convinced she was the one responsible for Caylee’s death.

Now, with the trial just weeks away, 48 HOURS MYSTERY Correspondent Troy Roberts has gained inside access into the defense team and some of their experts who question the accuracy of some of the forensic evidence in the case. They hope to cast doubt on the prosecutions’ evidence against Casey. If convicted, Casey could face the death penalty. Her two leading defense attorneys, Jose Baez and Cheney Mason, share with 48 HOURS MYSTERY how they plan to refute the prosecutions’ evidence, and Forensic Expert Larry Kobilinsky explains that there is not sufficient evidence to prove that Caylee Anthony was even murdered.

_________________________________________

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- The judge in the murder trial of a Florida mother charged with killing her daughter says jurors may be picked from the Orlando area if they can't be found in another location in Florida.

Circuit Judge Belvin Perry said at a hearing Friday that he still planned to pick jurors outside the Orlando area for Casey Anthony's trial next month. Jurors will be brought to central Florida, where they will be sequestered for the trial. If jurors can't be chosen in a week, the judge said he will consider
returning jury selection to Orlando.

The judge wants to use jurors outside of Orlando because of the media attention the case has gotten.

Anthony has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder. She says a babysitter kidnapped her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.

• by Meaghan Location: Columbia, Maryland on May 18, 2011 at 01:10 PM
    I have been following the pre-trial. Why I do not understand why the Judge insist that "age" ie a mitigating circumnstance. Now a days any child of 7 yeaqr s old know that "he/she cannot kill." Another is school performance,etc.... Why? It looks ridiculous and confound the jurors. For her attitude she seems to be "cold", disinterested, some time flirtatious with her lawyers. Why she wear" different/new clothes everyday" She has worn 18 different outfits since the first preliminary hearing. I'm not sorry for her. She deserves at the least life in prison.
  • by Christina Location: Texas on May 7, 2011 at 09:03 PM
    This story haas really gotten to me because I have a daugther the same age and if she was missing for even fifteen minutes I would call 911 not party at a bar she is guilty in publice opinion and my own personal opinion and I dont think that where ever they have the trial she will be found guilty because of the evidence against her and how the medi has leaked so many details I am glad that they decided to seek the death penalty it is a lot more humane than what happened to that poor little baby
  • by Jan Location: Tallahassee on Apr 16, 2011 at 04:08 PM
    I will gladly sit on the jury.
  • by John Location: Lake City on Apr 16, 2011 at 09:49 AM
    I have followed this case from the beginning and no other childs murder has affected me this way. Well, I do remember Jessica Lungsfrod poor little girl. There has been so much strong evidence in this case. I don't understand even a mock jury finding her not guilty. She has people wooing her and she is God like to them. I just don't see any other out come. GUILTY
  • by Patti on Apr 15, 2011 at 06:27 PM
    From what we've heard and read, she appears to be guilty of this horrible crime. However, she still should be considered innocent until all the evidence is seen and heard. I feel bad for the jury having to go through all the evidence and see such heartbreaking photos. May they listen well and return a verdict that fits this case.
  • by terry Location: leon on Apr 15, 2011 at 06:05 PM
    how does she remain so strong? even after all this time in jail. JUST A EVIL WOMAN. if it was me they would have to weel me in court in a weelchair.
  • by linda Location: St. Petersburg on Apr 15, 2011 at 02:20 PM
    I just love this judge! He minces no words, tells it just like it is and is going to be all legal. To me it seems this lawyer is desperatly trying to get all evidence thrown out so she can be declared innocent. It's almost as if he is to emotionally involved with his client and needs to put the "brakes" on. Grasping at straws won't work, it only makes him look bad.
  • by Ms. Opinionated Location: Tallahassee on Apr 15, 2011 at 01:48 PM
    I think it's all a circus - Casey Anthony is the epidemy of arrogance. She's still very much caught up into herself. I've notice that whenever Her Atty Jose Baez is not present @ any of her hearings she's a wreck. The total opposite when he's by her side smiling and grinning as if it's all about her. Well Casey - sorry to disappoint you but it's all about Kaley and what you've done to her. Casey please don't think that your charm & sultry ways is working for you with Atty Baez - at the end of the day you're just another criminal. All lawyers make you feel as if they have your best interest at hand. Trust me darling you're only going to be one less bell to answer after your guilty verdict. Stop getting it twisted - you're a murderer in the worst kind of way. ***BABY KILLER**** and a selfish one at that. May your soul burn in HELL! Kaley continue to rest in peace and enjoy the many Angels that surrounds you daily. R.I.P. Little One!
  • by Anonymous on Apr 15, 2011 at 01:23 PM
    What if..........she really did not do this?
  • by Justice? Location: TLH on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    Considering the state agency that pays the bills for this trial is out of funds (for expenses, the lawyers don't get paid until after the trial, right now they're working for free), one wonders is this case is EVER going to trial.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119529559 - wctv.tv/a?a=119529559