[UPDATE] First of 33 Trapped Chilean Miners Rescued

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

[UPDATE] 10-13 - 2:06PM --

Miami, Florida (AP) --

South Florida's Chilean community is celebrating the mine rescue in their homeland.

At Sabores Chilenos restaurant in Miami, about 40 people gathered late Tuesday night, October 12, to watch the rescue. As the first miner
entered the capsule and began the journey up, they held hands and
said the Our Father prayer -- an act Chileans around the United
States participated in.

On Wednesday, people continued to come in and out of the
restaurant, eyes glued to the television as other miners made their
way out.

At Viva Chile restaurant in Davie, Emily Garcia ordered empanadas and other treats for her office to celebrate the rescue.

Owner Carlos Mena said roughly 30 people crowded into the
restaurant Tuesday night, far more than usual, to watch the rescue.

------------------------------------

[UPDATE] 10-13 - 10:12AM --

San Jose Mine, Chile (AP) -- The rescue of the Chilean miners has
been proceeding smoothly and methodically, but somewhat faster than
expected.

By mid-morning 13 men had been extracted in roughly 10 hours,
with some emerging as quickly as 39 minutes apart.

They've been riding up the more than 2,000 foot escape shaft in
a special capsule. The 28-inch-diameter shaft has some curves, but
Chile's health minister says the capsule has not been rotating as
much as officials had expected as it moves through them. That's
allowed the trip to go faster.

After 69, days, the miners have survived being trapped
underground longer than anyone on record. Their vital signs are
being closely monitored as they make the journey up the shaft.
They've been given a high-calorie liquid diet donated by NASA
that's designed to prevent nausea from any rotation of the capsule.

At the current pace, all 33 miners should be out before sunrise
tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------------

*** UPDATE 10-13-2010 8:56 AM ***

San Jose Mine, Chile (AP) --

One-third of the trapped Chilean miners are now up and out of their half-mile-deep mine.

No. 11 came up into the desert sun just over 10 hours after the
rescue capsule dubbed "Phoenix" extracted the first miner.

He is 55-year-old Jorge Galleguillos and he's worked the length
of Chile in various mines.

Officials said before the rescue kicked off around midnight
Tuesday that the first four miners out would be fit and the next 10
would include those with health issues.

-------------------------------------------------

*** UPDATE 10-13-2010 7:55 AM ***

SAN JOSE MINE, Chile (AP) --

The oldest of the 33 miners, Mario Gomez, has been freed from his underground prison. He dropped to his knees and bowed his head in prayer, clutching the Chilean flag.

The 63-year-old Gomez was pulled up from the ground and embraced
by his wife, Lilianete Ramirez.

He is the most experienced of the group, first entering a mine
shaft to work at the age of 12.

Gomez has silicosis, a lung disease common to miners. He has
been on antibiotics and bronchial inflammation medicine.

---------------------------------------------

*** UPDATE 10-12-2010 11:35 PM ***

SAN JOSE MINE, Chile (AP) -- Florencio Avalos, the first of 33
miners to be rescued, has surfaced after 69 days underground.
He stepped out of a rescue capsule amid sobs from his young son
and received a bracing bear hug from Chilean President Sebastian
Pinera.
Avalos smiled widely as he hugged rescuers, then Pinera, as his
wife, two sons and father looked on. His 7-year-old son Bairo
sobbed, as did Chile's first lady, Cecilia Morel. Then Avalos was
escorted into a medical triage center for the first of a battery of
tests.

*** UPDATE 10-12-2010 11:05 PM ***
SAN JOSE MINE, Chile (AP) -- Florencio Avalos, first miner to be
rescued, begins journey up escape shaft to outside world.

------------------------------------

*** UPDATE 10-12-2010 ***
San Jose Mine, Chile (AP) - A rescue worker has finally entered
the chamber where 33 trapped miners await their escape to the
outside world.
Manuel Gonzalez climbed out of the escape capsule and was
greeted with cheers by the miners, who chanted "Chi Chi Chi, Le Le
Le!" and could be seen huddling around him as he began to give
them instructions.
Gonzalez, a rescue expert with the state copper company Codelco,
will be followed by Roberto Ros, a paramedic with the Chilean
Navy's special forces. Together they will prepare the 33 miners for
their journey up the 2,041-foot (622-meter) shaft.
President Sebastian Pinera cheered as well and shared hugs with
his ministers while they watched video of the capsule entering the
miners' chamber.
In the family camp outside the mine, relatives of Florencio
Avalos, the miner chosen to come up first, cheered, sang and
prayed.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

---------------------------------------------------------

*** UPDATE 10-12-2010 ***
SAN JOSE MINE, Chile (AP) -- Rescuers in Chile are lowering a
still-empty escape capsule into the shaft that will finally provide
a way out for 33 trapped miners.
Last-minute adjustments had to be made to systems that will
enable communication between the miners and the surface during
their trips.
President Sebastian Pinera met with the rescuers who will soon
descend into the mine, and he patted the side of the capsule,
standing in the clouds of steam rushing up from the mine where the
men have endured sauna-like conditions for 69 days.
A huge spool of thick steel cable is holding the capsule. After
the tests, they plan to send rescuers down and then first miners
up. Mining Minister Laurence Golborne still hopes to have the first
miner out before midnight.

----------------------------------------------

*** UPDATE 10-12-2010 ***
SAN JOSE MINE, Chile (AP) -- The president of Chile has made it
official, telling the mother of Florencio Avalos that he'll be the
first of 33 men to be rescued from the collapsed mine where they've
been trapped for 69 days
His mother, Maria Silva, says he's not surprised he was chosen
and that she's very proud of him.
President Sebastian Pinera teased the journalists gathered on a
viewing platform to await the rescue, saying he's pretty sure the
first one out will have the last name of Avalos.
There are three men with that name trapped below.
Florencio's mom confirmed to The Associated Press that Pinera
himself told her it would be her son.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

-------------------------------------

San Jose Mine, Chile (AP) - Chile's president says the rescue of
miners trapped for more than two months will begin in two hours,
keeping his promise to never abandon them.
The 33 miners are about to breathe fresh air for the first time
since they were trapped a half-mile below the surface on Aug. 5.
Pinera says "it has been a very long journey," but he's
optimistic that everything will go smoothly.
He says his government "made a promise to never surrender,"
and kept it.
The miners will surface in a custom-made capsule in a highly
choreographed operation designed to protect their health and
privacy.
But first, two rescue workers will descend into their
underground chamber to prepare them for the trip up.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 104821729 - wctv.tv/a?a=104821729