Church in a Club

By: Jill Chandler Email
By: Jill Chandler Email

When some people think of churches, they think of larger than life buildings and a stuffy atmosphere.

Lead Pastor of Genesis Church Brian Hunter said, "We think that the church building often times is the biggest barrier, that most people are searching for God in some way. They have a lot of questions, they want to know something about it but they wont dark in a church door. I think having church in the club dispels all that."

That's why Genesis Church is transforming a nightclub into a place of worship. On Sundays, the church will set up shop at Floyd's on the Tennessee Strip. Floyd's Music Store is located at 666 West Tennessee Street in Tallahassee. It's a new idea they hope will be more inviting for non-conventional and non-believers.

"It's open to everybody. We don't care where you come from, what you believe, what you don't believe, but we just want you to show up and see if this is something for you," said Pastor Hunter.

Organizers of the church say they hope the kids who party here on Friday and Saturday nights, come here Sunday as well.

There will be live bands, lights, and a high energy atmosphere. Pastor Hunter said, "It's going to be what people would expect at Floyd's and they're going to have a Floyd's experience, but the whole church and God thing will be mixed in."

There won't be alcohol served at the bar during the service but students we spoke to say they are open to the idea of "Church in a Club."

FSU Student Megan Mullins said, "If it's in a bar setting it's kind of like going out with your friends, but for a better purpose."

"I like to go to church, I go to church as often as I can, and I wouldn't mind going to church at Floyd's," said Travis Cooke.

Opening Night of Church in a Club will be on March 27th at 6 p.m. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.

For more information on Church in a Club click the link below.

Floyd's Music Store is located at 666 West Tennessee Street in Tallahassee.

• by Ryan Location: Florida State University on Mar 14, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    We knew there would be doubters. Come and see what we are putting together and decide for yourself. Genesis Church @ Floyds is designed to help spread the word to other lost students like me who had a hard time finding their way to god. Genesis Church is doing great things and through Floyds we can do even greater things by reaching more students and spreading the word of god. It shouldn't matter what is on the wall or behind the bar. If even one student is hearing the word of god and incorporating it into their lives in a positive way, than we have succeeded and all the hard work and dedication that the Staff at Genesis Church and the Staff at Floyds has put in has been worth it. This I Believe.
  • by marion Location: tallahassee on Mar 12, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    God ask Solomon to build him a temple where he could come and be amoung his people also for the saints not to forsake to asemble ourselves together We have been commanded to go ito the world teaching and preaching the gospel bidding the sinner man to come The Lord never told us to take the church to the people he said bid them to come to the wedding the wedding was never taken to the people they were only given an invitation to come Enough is done to take down the gospel Why is there a need to take the church to the people and sinners are not suppose to feel comfortable in the church what would make them change if they are comfortable in their sins If you are not peaching the word to make a person want to change and to feel uncomfortable then you are not reaching that person sin A fornicator would see sex outside of marrige as being wrong A lier should see lying as wrong as backbiter or gossiper all should have a desire to change just as the sinner man in the church and not at the bar
  • by Y Location: Not on Mar 10, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    Hmmmm I wonder what the cover charge will be. Ladies free before 11.
  • by angel on Mar 5, 2011 at 08:06 PM
    @2cents....You are confusing me. :)
  • by 2cents Location: Tallahassee on Mar 5, 2011 at 08:46 AM
    My name was the point..I am really for this movement.. the fact is that if one soul is reached, it would be worth it.. I just wanted to provoke more conversation.. agree with the church needing to reach people.. I too have attended Genesis for years and know the staff also.. some will only hear the Word if it is in their arena.. thanks to the American Church for that.. the church of American has gotten lost and blends in with the landscape therefore brings no threat to those who oppose Christ.. this action definitely expresses that there are those who will come out of the crowd and let themselves be seen for the cause of Christ... gotcha !!
  • by Lexiekat Location: Tallahassee on Mar 4, 2011 at 06:31 PM
    Genesis Church is REAL. It's only mission is to reach people for Christ. The way to reach people who avoid "church" is to go where they do and visit with them, tell your story, etc. This pastor may appear confident, which he is, but if you don't know him, you do not know how very humble he is. The lazy way would be to keep doing same, same. But people are turning away, so we shake things up a bit and show that religion doesn't have to be stuffy. Pastor Brian is an extemely dedicated, selfless, loving and humble man. To 2cents: your comments are worth about as much as your name. Watch and see all the good that will come from this venue. It has been proven over the years with Genesis. I've been a member for about 7 yrs. I know the truth. Please come and listen. Then you will be ashamed for trying to drag down a true church of God-loving people and the best pastor & staff I have ever been involved with in church. P.S. My father was a pastor. I have a lot of background.
  • by angel Location: Tally on Mar 4, 2011 at 03:40 PM
    @2Cents....I am a part of a church, and I have many friends in "real life." As a matter of fact I have many many friends that do not go to church and are not Christian. I have not always been the church going kind myself and have spent a lot of time in worldly behaviors in my past. I am very different now than I used to be because of the love of God. I think that Genesis Church is trying to meet "real life" people by holding church in a "real life" setting. I do not think that they are just trying to be controversial or grow the church for number's sake. You do not sound any less prideful than anyone else here, and Jesus is the reason that they are doing this as far as I can tell.
  • by kris on Mar 4, 2011 at 02:39 PM
    I am astounded at the negative comments that Church at Floyd's has brought. The comparison between Jesus in the temple and this endeavor to meet people where they are is not remotely theologically sound-Jesus was against the pharisees, the people who spoke of Him but could not recognize Him face to face. I am saddened that the American Church would look at going to where the people need Him so desperately in such a negative light. Pastor Brian has never watered down the Word of God so to say it will be a club with a little bit of church is quite amusing. Jesus clearly stated what our mandate is as Christ followers-go into the world and make Him known. Sadly it seems that our American culture says stay in the church building walls and take care of each other and make a million programs that "reach out" to the lost with in these confines-maybe that is why our churches are in the state they are in, I wonder how many of these "God- filled' establishments would recognize the real Jesus?
  • by 2Cents Location: Tallahassee on Mar 4, 2011 at 02:30 PM
    I have read all the comments and in my opinion.. sounds like a typical Christian argument for both sides.. we are right and everyone else is wrong.. try this: if everyone one in your church, whatever church, would get involved in being a friend to someone in real life, just think, the conversion rate would be a lot more than all of this plus it would not cost as much and would not cause so much controvery.. tired of hearing all of you using Jesus as an excuse to do what you do. He established the church, you didn't; He is the reason for the church, you are not.. you should resprent Him well.. to do controversial things does more good for your egos than it does for Christ and making Him known.. you show that you and the opposition are doing exactly what the non-believers have seen for a long time.. arguing, feuding, try to elevate selves... if a humbleness was there rather than ego, it might make a difference, don't you think? No humbleness here, just pride and a lot of it...
  • by ZoesMom Location: Tallahassee on Mar 3, 2011 at 08:59 PM
    We as Christians are called to love the sinner, no matter our feeling about the sin. I feel like a lot of stereotypes and assumptions are being made here regarding the behaviors at Floyd's. Not all students go to Floyd's to drink or get drunk (which according to Paul is the actual sin, not drinking - Jesus changed water to wine after all). I work on FSU's campus and have had the opportunity to ask my employees and students about their feelings about a church using this venue. Many of them are excited to see what Genesis Church is going to do. Additionally, they are open to the idea of a church reaching out to them, where they are - not just physically, but in life. One student I spoke to liked the idea of being able to learn more about Christianity without the added pressure of what he sees as "hypocritical, Bible thumpers that are out of touch with reality". God is working through this church to save the souls of so many that would not be saved through "normal" means. How exciting!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117202178 - wctv.tv/a?a=117202178