Cold Case: Cedric Johnson 17 Years Later

By: Gary Parker Email
By: Gary Parker Email

Gadsden County, FL -- November 23, 2011 --

It's the cold case you've probably never even heard of; a case back in 1994 was hardly even covered by the press. But even after 17 years, Gadsden County Cold Case detectives are still determined to find out who killed Cedric Johnson: a man whose murder was witnessed by many, but nobody's talking.

For Mary Johnson Harris, visiting her son's grave is just as painful now as it was 17 years ago.

Mary says, "We are suffering. I try to hold myself up for my daughter, [cries] for another member of the family, but I try to be macho; I'm not macho. It hurts, it really hurts."

22-year-old Cedric Johnson was a former Tallahassee Mall security guard. He wanted to go into corrections.

On June 12, 1994, Cedric and his relatives, including cousin Derick Reese went to the Ross Country Club in Quincy's Sawdust community.

Cedric went away for 10 minutes to visit his son, living with his mother in a home behind the club. When Cedric returned, he was upset.

Derick Reese, Cedric's cousin and best friend, says "The only thing he said to me and he kept saying was, 'he shouldn't have did what he did, he should've said what he said.'"

Cedric never said who he argued with. He and Reese then decided to leave.

Cedric was supposed to follow Reese home. Cedric never came back.

"We were together every single minute of the day except for 15 minutes and during that 15 minute period, I lost him."

Witnesses on scene that night say Cedric had been hitting and kicking cars and then a fight broke out.

Cedric was shot once in the chest with a .25 caliber automatic.
Two men left in a black and gold Nissan 240ZX.

Reese rushed back as soon as he heard the news. Cedric was dead.

Reese says, "There were a lot of people down there that I knew that *he* knew, but to this day most of those people haven't come forward. I don't understand why if you say you love a person, if you say you care about a person, if you say that's your friend, I don't understand why more people haven't come forward and told the truth."

So many witnesses but who was the killer? None of them would say and still won't to this day

CPT John Franklin of the Gadsden County Sheriff Cold Case Team says, "We want to bring closure for the family. We know that this case will be solved, we know it can be solved, but we're asking the public to come forward. Someone had to see what happened. Someone has to have knowledge as to what happened."

The detective says there are two male suspects.
Reese has worked tirelessly himself to find out who killed his cousin and best friend.

Reese adds, "Most people won't talk to me because they know how close me and Cedric was."

Reese says everybody knows but nobody tells.

"If you're man enough to do a crime, be man enough to stand for it."

Harris says knowing her son's murderer will not bring her son back, but it will ease some pain.

Mary says, "If you're afraid to go to the Sheriff, you can come to me... you can come to *me*... just come and tell me, and I will help *you* out."

Until then...
A grave without rest...
A mother's anguish...
A family without closure or justice... wondering... if 17 years of guilt... will get one eyewitness to finally come forward... or the killer to confess.

• by The Truth Location: Close by on Dec 10, 2011 at 06:47 AM
    My heart go out to the Family of Cedric The 3 Detective Over that's cold case Know the truth but won't the story to be told the way they won't it told especially John F. I have been interviewed several times told the same story he was worry about who was going with Cedric I have come forward several times and told the story the case should have been and open and close case by now if the retiree would take the stores like it went I'm at the jury or the judge but to me it was a self-defense case I know the family may not wanna to hear the true but the was man was just coming down the raod when Cerdic start pick him up over his head slammin in the road about 4 to 5 time to be exact he slammin him in the road the guy was trying to get a way from Cedric when the guy fired 1 shot he was able to get away from Cedric running and before thats he came from Ross club hitting a woman in the face sitting in a car the man got look at how big Cedric was and got back in the car and him and the lady that got hit they drove off
    Now I'm sorry for what happen and Derek the only thing thats
    hurting you is the statement you made before you drove off and you now have to live with what so said I'm sorry but the truth hurts so we must be careful and very mindful of what we let come out of the mouth cause when it come out we can go back and retrieve it
  • by The Truth Location: Close by on Dec 10, 2011 at 06:45 AM
    Now I'm sorry for what happen and Derek the only thing thats
  • by Sick-N-Tired Location: Tallahassee on Nov 28, 2011 at 05:23 AM
    I think a little more attention to the editing and proofing of this article is called for. Maybe Gary Parker needs to go back to school. What a poorly written story. There are statements that contradict themselves???
  • by Betty Location: FL on Nov 24, 2011 at 06:34 PM
    There should be a reward for credible information leading to an arrest, then someone will come forward. Sad but true. I saw a special and a lot of people across the country are coming forward on cold cases but of the harsh economic times. Sheriff Young- do something good for the community instead of always campaigning, put up some money for info. I hope this family receives justice and peace.
  • by CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG PLZ Location: LAPTOWN on Nov 24, 2011 at 05:25 PM
    JUST WONDERING WHEN SAWDUST BECAME A PART OF QUINCY? I THOUGHT IT WAS A COMMUNITY IN GREENSBORO (BUT I GUESS BECAUSE QUINCY POSTAL DELIEVERS THERE)JW. WELL THEN SYCAMORE SHOULD BE QUINCY TO.
      by anonymous on Nov 28, 2011 at 07:26 AM in reply to CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG PLZ
      Sawdust is a part of Quincy because the mailing addresses in Sawdust are Quincy, Florida, NOT Greensboro, Florida.
  • by GOLDMOUTH Location: MIDWAY FLORIDA on Nov 24, 2011 at 05:07 PM
    I remember this day like yesterday ..it was during our family reunion...wut a sad reunion it turned out to be...I will never forget my cousin...I hope that someone comes forward so that my Family can have closure and the broken hearts can start to heal..I love my family and just know that God will always keep us strong Happy Thanksgiving Family :)
  • by Eddie Penn Location: Quincy on Nov 24, 2011 at 02:54 PM
    The reason why some people won't come forward is because the three retirees that they have over cold case murder ask the same question over and over make people feel that they are the ones on trial.They need to hire professional instead of family and friends for that job
  • by lucille on Nov 24, 2011 at 07:14 AM
    start checking in shiloh near second store within that general area somebody know
      by Why not Tell on Nov 24, 2011 at 02:50 PM in reply to lucille
      If you know this much why not tell the police! I get sick of stupid behind comments as such.
        by Do the right thing anyway on Nov 24, 2011 at 05:36 PM in reply to Why not Tell
        Because he/she knows what crazy people do to snitches and their family. I would love for all cold cases to be solved but the truth is people dont care until its one of there family members. U can come forward but then they want u to testify. Then u are looking over your sholders every 5 minutes. The police are suppose to protect u but what if the killer is one of their relatives. Just saying it is alot of consequences behind coming forward but i think u should just suck it up and TELL!!!
          by Big Jake on Nov 25, 2011 at 03:05 AM in reply to Do the right thing anyway
          DO you know how to spell the word YOU ???
  • by Alice Location: Palatka on Nov 24, 2011 at 05:43 AM
    what a nice family! It is a shame they show this much courage and it goes unmatched amongst the very people involved. Is FL so communist that people cant find the justice to just come out and speak? I pray for this family because family counts!
  • by Mrs B Location: Quincy on Nov 24, 2011 at 04:44 AM
    It is a very sad and stressful situation that Cedric was murdered and no one is willing to come forward to confess what they know or admit to taking this young mans life.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134439458 - wctv.tv/a?a=134439458