Comcast Sued Over Response to Emergency Calls

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Boynton Beach, FL (AP) - The family of an 81-year-old Florida
grandmother has filed a lawsuit against Comcast over its response
to the emergency calls she made before her death.
Sidell Reiner was preparing for Thanksgiving at her Boynton
Beach home when a piece of crystal glassware fell on her foot. She
began bleeding profusely.
The lawsuit claims Reiner dialed "0" and reached a Comcast
operator, who transferred the call to police but could not provide
her address.
It allegedly took 16 minutes to determine her address and for
parademics to arrive.
Records show emergency workers left after finding the home
locked and getting no answer at the door.
Reiner's husband later found her body.
Comcast told the South Florida Sun Sentinel the company does not
comment on pending cases.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by KC Location: Tally on Oct 28, 2010 at 08:51 AM
    To Comcast customer: You will only have service for as long as the backup battery in your modem is working, which is not very long. We had a power outage that lasted for about 6 hours and the battery in our modem died only after about 2 hours. I don't understand why the emergency workers left. Obviously someone in extreme distress could not have answered their own door. The ball was dropped on alot of levels here.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 28, 2010 at 08:47 AM
    Cable Companies and Cell phone providers are not regulated by the Florida Public Service Commission and do not meet their requirements for quality of service. Service is good, quality is good so I'll keep my landline phone. Call me old fashion.
  • by Comcast customer Location: Tallahassee on Oct 28, 2010 at 08:33 AM
    To Danu, If you have comcast for your phone service you still have regular 911 service (just like everyone with Century Link) and your modem has a back up battery in it if the power goes out you still have a phone, you just need to keep a corded phone on hand because a cordless phone will not work without power
  • by Sara Location: Tallahassee on Oct 28, 2010 at 07:05 AM
    I think the emergency workers are the ones that should be sued.... they were grossly negligent by just leaving when nobody answered...
  • by Danu Location: Tallahassee on Oct 28, 2010 at 07:02 AM
    Internet Phone Service is cheaper but it has many flaws. Delayed 911 services... and if your cable goes out...so does your house phone...If your electricity is out...no house phone either... I am trying to decide if I want to drop my CenturyLink house land line because it is roughly $30 bucks for simple local service and caller ID. I have a few cordless house phones, but I like the idea of having phone service when the electricity is out so I keep a cord connected phone hooked up to always have access to 911 with easy address identification. Still... it is hard to toss $30 bucks on home phone land line service when in my family we all have cell phones and use those for most calls and our long distance calling.
  • by TMP Location: Tallahassee on Oct 28, 2010 at 05:48 AM
    1 - she was probably in shock and unable to communicate very clearly which is why she may not have been able to give her address. 2 - why did the emergency workers leave!? When someone is bleeding profusely there is a high probability they will pass out and be unable to come to the door. This was handled wrong on ALL fronts. My condolences to the family.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 28, 2010 at 04:31 AM
    She was transferred to the police, all SHE had to so was provide them with an address!
  • by Dorothy Location: Tally on Oct 28, 2010 at 04:22 AM
    The people at Comcast are idiots anyway. If they cannot even handle your cable services, HOW could they handle an emergency call??
  • by Patty Location: tally area on Oct 28, 2010 at 03:13 AM
    And this is why the cable company should not control your land line phone. Had she been able to call 911 regularly, they would have been able to find her right away. My prayers go out to this family and I hope they get big bucks
  • by Jamie Location: Live Oak on Oct 28, 2010 at 02:13 AM
    maybe cheaper but is it worth it?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 105919933 - wctv.tv/a?a=105919933