Court Will Not Overturn $5 Million Slander Award

By: AP
By: AP

The Supreme Court will not overturn a Florida surgeon's $5
million slander award after a hospital executive said he would not
send his dog to the doctor for surgery.

The high court on Monday refused to hear an appeal from Lawnwood
Medical Center, Inc. It argued that the award given to Dr. Samuel
Sadow was excessive.

Sadow and the hospital had been fighting in court because the
doctor was denied privileges to do surgery in Lawnwood's open-heart
institute. A Lawnwood official then told another doctor about
Sadow: "I would not send my dog to him for surgery."

Sadow sued for slander, and a jury awarded him $5 million in
punitive damages. A Florida appeals court upheld the award.

The case is Lawnwood v. Sadow, 10-371.

• by Give me a break on Jan 11, 2011 at 05:10 AM
    Oh Steve, please stop the drama. An attorney you are not.
  • by Be a professional on Jan 11, 2011 at 05:08 AM
    The executive should had kept his mouth shut.
  • by Dan Location: Tallahassee on Jan 10, 2011 at 06:57 PM
    One more example of how the judicial system is broke and why health care is so expensive, The rich get richer and the poor get poorer, so much for the American dream. Good outcome is this terrorist is so rich he will not have to cut up anyone anymore
  • by T-TownGal Location: Tallahassee on Jan 10, 2011 at 06:49 PM
    To Steve Location: Lake Park on Jan 10, 2011 at 01:09 PM In my opinion, you seem to be a big time jerk, who learned that a not liking what someone says can get you money with the right jury. Who is to say that you will be able to get a good jury to sue Allen from Thomasville, maybe he should sue you for harrassment since that is what I see you did to him. Hopefully, I will get to be on the jury panel, just saying.... and also, my opinion is this was a very bogus lawsuit, that the Dr. got away with crying waa, waa, waa, all the way to the bank, that just goes to prove to me that he is a big crybaby who can't take criticism, and probably wasn't that good of a surgeon. I hope that he is out of a job, oh wait, with all of that money, he doesn't need to work, so patients won't have to worry about whether of not he will be performing possibly (again just my opinion-not a matter of fact) a bad surgery on them.
  • by info on Jan 10, 2011 at 06:02 PM
    It is amazing a doctor can get $5 million dollars because someone made a remark, but being injured by a former employer means nothing,
  • by corrine Location: quincy on Jan 10, 2011 at 04:05 PM
    Having your own opinion and voicing it does not mean you can always do that? If you have anything harmful to say about someone, keep it to yourself. My golden rule is: if you have nothing good to say about someone, keep it to yourself.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 10, 2011 at 01:48 PM
    so much for freedom of speach. open your mouth and you are sued. Guess that's what happens when lawyers make the laws. and remember, a judge is just a lawyer in a black robe.
  • by GV Location: Ga on Jan 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    i would not let steve operate on my dog because he is an idiot.Now sue me.
  • by Lela on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    The comment was not slander it was his opinion. I thought that slander was spreading viscious rumors that damaged peoples reps. Not a simple statement. I thought the we all had the right to our opinions. I've heard alot worse come from people and nothing said about it other than "What a jerk" and such. People get a grip I'm sure every doctor has had patients say alot worse about them. I know I have! I know several Dr.s that need their lic. pulled and have made it a point to tell otherrs not to go there and why. And I've been told many stories about Dr.s that I like and the story didn't sway me away. So see an opinion doesn't hurt. The final decision rests with the people that the stories are told to. I hardly think that the other Dr. that was told the dog comment was planning on seeing that Dr. and later cancelled because of the statement.
  • by Allen Location: Thomasville on Jan 10, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    How do you figure that his reputation was damaged by $5 million, much less more than that, over one comment spoken to another person in private? We are so "politically correct" minded in America today that we can't speak the truth out of fear of hurting someone's feelings. If he wasn't credentialed, then he wasn't credentialed. The man's comment would not have changed that. That's the problem with America today, we've become so "civilized" that we now sue each other over trivial matters. Go tell someone in Haiti who is still living in a tent that this man deserves $5 million in damages for a single comment. They'll laugh you out of town.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113203414 - wctv.tv/a?a=113203414