Daughter Helps Save Father's Life

By: Mike Springer Email
By: Mike Springer Email

Tallahassee, Fl --May 26, 2012--

A daughter's skills as a doctor and the quick actions of a community are being credited with helping save a father's life.

As an emergency room doctor, Jennifer Lynes has saved a few lives. But she never thought one of those would be her own father's.

"I'm thinking this cannot be happening. I cannot lose my dad. My life cannot change like this right now," says Lynes.

Lynes' 66-year-old father, Harvey, had stopped over Monday 5-21-12 for a visit. But just as the grandfather of five and semi-retired handyman, was pulling out onto the road to head home, he had a heart attack.

"All of a sudden I heard my mom in a very frightened voice yelling my name "Jenny, Jenny," says Lynes.

Lynes, standing just yards away, heard her mother's cries for help and ran towards her father's limp, blue body.

"We just got him out and laid him on the asphalt of Thomasville Road and I immediately started CPR, " says Lynes.

Police quickly arrived with a defibrillator to jump start his heart as those nearby came out to help Lines and her family while she continued to work on her father.

"If my sister had gone inside after they left the house...30 seconds could have been the difference between him being here and not being here. She really saved his life," says Bethannie Smith, Lynes' sister.

And helping make sure man who brought her into the world stuck around a little longer in hers.

Lynes' dad is recovering at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital. The family says he is doing well.

• by Cecil Location: Tallahassee on May 28, 2012 at 09:50 AM
    What a great thing to happen and I am so happy for all of you.My prayers are with you.God has blessed you for everyone being at the right place at the right time.
  • by Bobbie Lynes Location: Savannah, GA on May 27, 2012 at 01:13 PM
    I am Jennifer's mother-in- law. My husband, Rick & I, had been planning to come toTallahassee for Memorial Day weekend to see our son, Richard, his wife Jen, and our two beautiful grand daughters. We never expected the weekend to turn out like it has. We all have been blessed......Jennifer has told me of all the amazing people who stopped that evening. There was an under-cover policeman, a fireman, an ICU nurse and many, many concerned citizens of this fine city. She also thanks the wonderful staff at TMH. If any one of those individuals had not been at the precise place & time, the patriach of the Swisher family may not be here with us. Had Jen not become a physician, had she not stayed to play with her girls in the front yard,had one of the players in this miracle not been in his fateful place in time, this miracle may have never occurred. I also believe Jen's love for God was as powerful as her love for her incredible Dad. It was through Him that everyone was where they were suppose to be. I thank you all.
  • by :-) Location: Tallahassee on May 27, 2012 at 01:02 PM
    This is a great story! So glad it ended happily! God she's hus daughter for a reason, just like I believe everyone in this world is here to serve a purpose & her purpose is well done(outstanding)! She's a living angel!
  • by Bonnie Location: Tallahassee on May 27, 2012 at 08:25 AM
    Ive heard this story a million times in the waiting room this past week but it never gets old. What a Great story about how everyone coming together to save her dads life. Mr. Harvey should be proud to have such a great family. I am happy Mr Harvey is doing better everyday.
  • by Marsha on May 27, 2012 at 06:24 AM
    How nice to read something on WCTV that has a happy ending. I hope your father continues to improve and God Bless You all.
  • by NicoleMccloud Location: Atlanta, Ga on May 26, 2012 at 08:14 PM
    I am so proud of you Dr. Lynes. I have always known you were a great doctor, now everyone in the tallahassee area knows it too. Kiss Mr. Harvey for me and let him know that I am praying for him and the entire family. I miss working with you in the ER. God Bless you and your family.
  • by denise Location: c'ville on May 26, 2012 at 07:25 PM
    So is it Lynes or Lines? And wonderful job, ma'am.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 154622265 - wctv.tv/a?a=154622265