Diseased Trees Tumble Across Tallahassee

By: Amy Long Email
By: Amy Long Email

Tallahassee. FL -- Tuesday, the Sessler Family awoke to a tree crashing though their roof. No one was injured, but the damage could have been prevented.

"For the longest time I thought it was the healthiest tree and needless to say it snapped at the base." says Karl Sessler.

Bryan Wilson with Miller's Tree Service says he's seen the scenario time and time again, and warned Sessler of other potential hazards in his yard.

"We've got two trees that need to come done and after the event that happened, believe you me, my name is on the schedule." says Sessler.

Experts say that all a tree needs to appear healthy is a health exterior, but with many trees, the whole interior could be completely rotted out.

Bryan Wilson, an arborist with Miller's says, "Walk around, analyze the tree structurally... Look at the canopy of it... [to see] if you see a lot of dead limbs."

Wilson says knowing the history of the trees and damage they may have seen early on, and looking for growths, can also be other good indicators of tree rot.

Professional arboring will cost some green, but after the rude wake-up call, Sessler and his neighbors are thinking twice about the risks hanging overhead.

• by R Location: G on Apr 8, 2011 at 06:29 AM
    enough with the bickering! I just want to know how long before this pine tree dies or will I have to remove it? How do I get State Farm to help with the costs?
  • by Tallahassee Lassie Location: Tallahassee on Apr 7, 2011 at 04:20 PM
    We lived in Killearn Acres and two weeks before Hurricane Kate hit, we had 33 diseased slash pines taken down. During the night, we heard trees crashing all around us. In the morning, we were the ONLY house in Killearn Acres with no trees down on our property. It's definitely worth the $$ to have them cut down and removed.
  • by Lip Cheese on Apr 7, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    As a tree hugging limp wristed liberal this saddens me.
  • by Rebel Location: Mayo on Apr 7, 2011 at 07:30 AM
    Yankee: I think a simple statement about cutting trees would have sufficed. You did not have to fill your comment with satire, and you seem like you have some angst built up toward our culture. Why are you even down here if thats the case?
  • by Anonymous on Apr 7, 2011 at 07:10 AM
    Yankee...this town is full of tree huggers that will force a lane shift of a major road to save one tree. I love trees but I totally agree when it comes to keeping them away from the powerlines. Most do not realize how many of these old oak trees are rotten in the center and just an accident waiting to happen. Give it another 10 years and you will see a lot more of them falling all over Tallahassee...only a matter of time. The City and County are pretty strict when it comes to tree removal and you will pay a hefty fine for removing trees without the propoer permit. Pine trees are normally pretty strong trees but are lighting rods.
  • by R Location: G on Apr 7, 2011 at 06:52 AM
    I have a Pine Tree that was struck by lightning. The picture was posted in the storm article the other day. The lightning hit at the top and scored the tree all the way around and down to the ground. What do I do with it and how can the insurance company help with its removal?
  • by R Location: G on Apr 7, 2011 at 06:47 AM
  • by Please remove diseased trees Location: Tallahassee on Apr 7, 2011 at 06:17 AM
    Many property insurance companies do not cover damage caused if a diseased tree falls even in a storm. I think the Leon County Extension Service will still come out free to let you know if your tree is diseased. It would be a good idea to remove your diseased trees. You may be on your own if your dead tree falls across the fense and damages your neighbor's house or vehicle. Please check with your homeowner's insurance policy of your rights. If a dead tree falls without the wind from your neighbor's lot and falls on your house, you may have a right to collect for damages from your neighbor's policy. Your insurance company may abandon you like mine did. I have since changed insurance companies. I had to do my own fighting in 2001 against my neighbor's insurance company, who first denied it was her 100 ft. huge diseased tree that fell on my home. I finally won without going to court, after I told her insurance co. agent that I would file suit. Then neighbor's homeowner insurance policy paid for my damages to my house roof, chain link fense, dog house, 4 healthy trees that were all destroyed. I lost my 40 yr. old fig tree, a red oak & bay tree when her heavy diseased pine came tumbling down without rain or wind. My husband and I were home at the time and witnessed this. Thank God our puppy was not in his dog house at the time. Our homeowner insurance policy agent refused to help me. OUTRAGEOUS! Homeowner's rights can get complicated. I was very lucky that our neighbor's insurance policy paid us for our damages.
  • by brad Location: tallahassee on Apr 7, 2011 at 05:12 AM
    The trees make tallahassee what it is. They shouldn't clear cut everything near a power line then it will start looking like a northern city with little trees around. The canopy roads in Tallahassee are rare and people should enjoy them. They come at some risk but much less of a risk then getting hit by a car crossing the road in tallahassee, and don't blame the trees on that. I think the trees keep the city much cooler in the summer than otherwise. Diseased trees need to go but replace with new ones.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 7, 2011 at 05:10 AM
    Even trees need to practice safe sex.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119375284 - wctv.tv/a?a=119375284