[UPDATE] TFD: Early Morning Apartment Fire Leaves One Dead

[UPDATE] 3-15 5:07pm

A man is found dead inside of his home after his apartment goes up in flames.

"I was woke up by people yelling and screaming and I came out and saw the fire."

Annie Dudley says Apartment 4E was fully covered in flames by the time she was awakened Tuesday morning.

Firefighters say someone at the Capital Ridge Apartments off Capital Circle behind Zaxby's in Tallahassee called 911 just before 12:30.

Dudley said, "It was frightening. The entire building was engulfed in flames and the people were all out here trying to see what was going on. There were three fire engines and a lot of police."

The man who lived in that apartment was found dead inside.

Firefighters say before discovering his body, it took them 30 minutes to battle the blaze.

Travis Oaks, the Tallahassee FIre Department spokesperson, said, "The initial unit that arrived on scene reported fire showing through the roof; which is an indication that it's already burned pretty much througout the whole apartment and now had burned through the roof."

One neighbor says he tried to do the first thing that he thought of to help. He says when he ran outside and saw his neighbor's apartment on fire, he says he grabbed a bucket of water that he happened to have sitting on his front porch, and through it on the flames.

Dudley said, "It's a tragedy. He was a really, really nice guy."

The fire also spread to the apartment next door...but, firefighters say no one was home.

The victim's identity has not been released.

The state fire marshal's office is investigating the cause of the fire.

---------------------------------------------------------------

[UPDATE] 3-15 1pm --

A fire tears through a Tallahassee apartment complex, leaving one man dead.

It happened at the Capital Ridge Apartment complex on Capital Circle Northeast just after midnight (3-14).

Five units from the Tallahassee fire department battled heavy fire and smoke coming from two apartments for thirty minutes before bringing it under control. When firefighters arrived on the scene, the fire had already torn through one apartment and had spread into another. Neighbors reported the blaze after they saw flames shooting through the roof.

Officials are estimating that the fire did about $250,000 dollars in damage. It is unknown what sparked the flames at this time.

Officials have not released the name of the man who died. We'll have more tonight on Eyewitness News.

_________________________________________

Tallahassee, Florida -- March 15, 2011 --

This morning at 12:27, five units from The Tallahassee Fire Department responded the 3200 block of Capital Circle to Capital Ridge Apartments for a building fire. Firefighters battled heavy fire and smoke coming from two of the apartments for 30 minutes before bringing it under control.

Cause is under investigation and early damage estimate is 250,000.

One fatality in the apartment where the fire originated. No other injuries were reported.

Stay with WCTV for details.

• by Anonymous on Mar 16, 2011 at 07:53 PM
    And why are they not releasing the name of the man who passed away? This seems odd to me.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 16, 2011 at 07:53 PM
    @ Mom in Kalamazoo- how old is your daughter? And what size is she approximately? I have a bunch of clothes that she can have if she is an 8-10. I'm 28. What happened is very tragic and I'm glad to hear your daughter escaped to safety!
  • by Mom in Location: Kalamazoo, MI on Mar 16, 2011 at 04:05 PM
    Thank so much to the Tallahassee Fire Dept., and the Red Cross, and all who are helping my daughter. She lived in the other apartment that was destroyed, along with everything she owned. We are so glad that she is safe, and we are very sorry for the family of the man who lost his life. If anyone has a bed, couch, blankets, she could probably really use it. Thanks ... Mama (wish I was there!)
  • by A neighbor lives in Capital Ridge Apartments on Mar 16, 2011 at 03:08 PM
    This is such a sad tragic accident that happened. I live in the apartment complex. This apartment was 2 units behind me. Words cannot express how i feel at this moment because it was very close to me. A man lost his life. Why would you talk about politics at a time like this? My prayers are with his family
  • by I Love Obama Location: Tallahassee on Mar 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    @D Last time I check everyone that has held office local or otherwise where CHRISTIANS and I hope you don't consider yourself one because that statement you made was not very CHRISTIAN LIKE
  • by K Location: Tallahassee on Mar 16, 2011 at 06:39 AM
    D, That has nothing to do with the story above. A man died. Put aside politics for a little while, please.
  • by D Location: TLH on Mar 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    I agree "Support our First Responders"; Let's also prayer that God draws near our FL Legislature,House and Senate/White House Leaders; I would like to experience just one term of office where there are Christians leading us!
  • by Support our First Responders Location: Tally on Mar 15, 2011 at 08:29 AM
    All too sad. Rest in Peace dear Soul. The fire could have been worse and done more harm. God bless our First Responders and the lives they save. We pray that our FL Legislature are insightful enought to value their true grit bravery and herorism.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 15, 2011 at 06:17 AM
    This is behind Zaxbys if I am not mistaken.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117995014 - wctv.tv/a?a=117995014