FAMU Faces 8 Million in Budget Cuts

By: Jill Chandler Email
By: Jill Chandler Email

Tallahassee, Florida--

Florida A and M University is facing millions of dollars in budget cuts.

Schools across the nation are facing budget cuts. Florida's newly approved legislative budget leaves FAMU looking at 8 million dollars less for this year alone.

Tola Thompson is the Director of Governmental Relations for FAMU. He said, "It's not something we want to do , it's just something we have to do because of the economic environment, in our state, in our nation, and in our world. Until this economy turns around in the foreseeable future this is kind of the rut we're in right now. "

Over the past four years the University has been forced to trim more than $35 million dollars from their budget, and students are seeing the impact.

Student Body President Breyon Love said, "Of course students are upset if they didn't have their degree offering still offered, but we are making sure that those students needs are met and they are advised and they can move forward with their education here at the University."

Some students said they feel like the legislature doesn't understand the importance of education, and it's up to the them to unite and let their voices be heard.

Patricia Dixon is a freshman at FAMU. She said, "I'm starting to wonder, how important is education? what are they doing with all of the money?"

With cuts every year, some students wonder how state universities can continue.

Riccardo Jean is a graduating senior. He said, "If we keep walking blindly, before we know it- there's not going to be an H.B.C.U. Florida A and M University."

Universities across the state of Florida are having to rely heavily on donations. FAMU President James Ammons are asking more alumni to donate to the university. Right now only seven percent of the school's graduates are giving back.

• by Will on May 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Time to finally close the school.
  • by Alice Location: crawfordville on May 13, 2011 at 06:30 AM
    do what FSU did sell your soul to KOCH i.e. Gov Bald Bully bud,the FOR SALE in on and there is a FIRE SALE GONING ON.
  • by @ThePowellReport Location: Tallahassee, Fl on May 13, 2011 at 05:39 AM
    Only 7% of FAMU Alumni donate back to the University. That's a shame, as well as the fact that the Legislature feels it's OK to continuously cut the budgets of our Educational Institutions. I'm a FAMU Alumni & even though I experienced all the BS related to "That's just the way we do it at FAMU", but that is also the reason that I donate back to my school. Most of the BS ways that we experience have been addressed & corrected. I BEG you all to give back. Even if it's $5, that's more $$ to save somebody's degree program. If we don't support FAMU then who will. It's apparent that we can't count on some elected officials to.
  • by Biscuit Location: Tallahassee on May 13, 2011 at 05:23 AM
    Yet they are spending a fortune to renovate an old building and adding a campus in Crestview. Another waste of taxes.
  • by Rattler Location: Georgia on May 13, 2011 at 04:18 AM
    FAMU's alumno are not giving back because of the treatment they received while they were in school! Down computers during registration, net-checks not processed, incompetent and surly staff in university offices - the list goes on. "That's just the way we do it at FAMU" means "we don't give any money back when we're gone."
  • by Anonymous on May 12, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    I'm sure if they ask the president, he'll send them a big fat check.
      by D on May 13, 2011 at 05:27 AM in reply to Anonymous
      hope so they sure could use it these education cuts are getting ridiculous
  • by student Location: tally on May 12, 2011 at 05:18 PM
    why is education (the most important thing) the first to go? priorities aren't straight
      by Alum on Jun 2, 2011 at 07:38 AM in reply to student
      I appreciate my alma mater but resent that it spends more time trying to make sure I know what the band is doing and who the football team is playing than doing the work for raising money. I tried to do a donation in memory of a loved one and no one on the campus could even return my calls! I guess they didn't want my money. Shame on you FAMU! That is no way to do business! Shame on you for modeling poor professionalism to students who are trying to thrive! I hate that they'll be the losers in this. They deserve better.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121738149 - wctv.tv/a?a=121738149