FAMU Tuition Increase Proposal Approved

Tallahassee, FL -- June 8, 2012 --

The FAMU Board of Trustees voted on a proposal to increase tuition by fifteen percent.

During the board's meeting Thursday, Trustee Torey Alston rhetorically asked if students will get an increase in education.

Elizabeth Davenport, Ph.D, a FAMU professor addressed the board to give her answer. She says, "I really don't know if they will. We have a math department that needs more math teachers. We have an English department that needs more English teachers and we have sciences that need to be re-staffed."

Administrators say tuition hikes make it difficult to keep students.

FAMU President Dr. James Ammons says new student enrollment went down 18 percent from last year and administrators say that could mean a $2.5 million hit.

"We have to find a way to reduce student debt loads. this is important work that needs to be done. It has my focus to ensure that we find a way to lower the cost of attendance here at Florida A&M University."

Dr. Ammons says nine percent of funding comes from alumni.

He says they hope to get it up to 12 percent by next year getting the financial support to go with their undeniable school spirit.

Tommy Mitchell, FAMU Alumni President, says, "We have the best thing in Florida."

Administrators say FAMU will begin 2012-2013 with a budget of $147.5 million.

• by jim Location: ga on Jun 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    i seen one white person in the whole vidio. maby the parents send them off to get rid of them.
  • by help Location: tallahassee on Jun 10, 2012 at 09:12 AM
    Get rid of all the unneeded stafff...get rid of the non teaching ghetto attitude filled people....make it free to attend...more staff than students
  • by anon on Jun 9, 2012 at 06:47 PM
    famu is one step above community college reall 32 percent rate over 6 years they need to raise rates because of the parents pulling their kids out of that place and sending them to a respectable university. when you say i graduated from famu people automaticall associate it with hazing and financial cover ups not to mention the murder i wouldnt send my kid their if it was free they should rename it thug university
  • by Selara Spires Location: Clearwater on Jun 9, 2012 at 06:31 PM
    I am unconcerned about the tuition increase because I am in the band but do not have to pay tuition or expenses because they are give to us in grants. It will only be a problem if they require us to attend classes or the grant money is given to other schools.
  • by Kate on Jun 9, 2012 at 04:11 PM
    @Rick--I hate to burst your bubble but I have two master degrees and as Dave Ramsey says--I am debt free. I would never think of applying to such a sorry school as FAMU.
      by senior on Jun 10, 2012 at 06:38 AM in reply to Kate
      Take that, Rick!! LOL
  • by Current Student on Jun 9, 2012 at 02:50 PM
    I currently attend FAMU and I am absolutely disgusted with some of the comments I read on these FAMU stories. Many of you don't have a stable pot to urinate in but yet, you bluster endlessly about your "taxes". What you don't realize is that the students who receive financial assistance receive that from the federal government. The state funding goes toward the upkeep of the academic programs and like expenses. This money is not disseminated directly to students. It is utterly despicable that one can formulate a judgement about an entire university based on skewed media depiction. If you have attended any post- secondary institution, you would know that some students do not represent that institution as well as others. FAMU is no different. Just as easily as one can find poor FAMUans, you can find tens of thousands of successful FAMUans who have received a degree from this university and went on to become leaders in their respective communities. Wake up people biased hatred and prejudices have NO PLACE in this advancing society. The students at FAMU aren't the uncivilized ones, you are.
      by Where oh Where on Jun 9, 2012 at 04:42 PM in reply to Current Student
      Where does the Federal government get the money? Selective understanding, or more appropriately the lack of it, is why you and your cousins get thrown into one lump. Because it is pretty universal as you have demonstrated. I wan to explain something to you. I am a business owner. I will not hire FAMU graduates. The reason for that is simple; the FAMU graduates that are functionally literate are the exception, not the rule. Think about that. We are not talking rocket scientist here. We are talking people who can read, write, and speak, English.
      by Dee on Jun 11, 2012 at 07:53 AM in reply to Current Student
      Reality dispells lofty ideas: I have worked with FAMU grads and was appalled at their English skills. High school grads should speak and write better! I won't even get into their work ethic......
  • by FAMU on Jun 9, 2012 at 02:28 PM
    Im not sure if you all understand how the University system works. One does not close down a university simply because you ask them to. The fact is that Florida A&M University is the largest producer of black professionals earning its position as a top school for minorities. Furthermore, FAMU four major programs (Engineering, Pharmacy, Allied Health and Business ) that have earned this state a spot alongside the best places to study in these subjects. So, obviously FAMU is here to stay. Yes the university has some flaws but I assure you they are not disproportionate to those of the other schools in the Florida State University system. God Bless you all and may love fill your hearts where senseless hate currently resides.
  • by rattler on Jun 9, 2012 at 02:03 PM
    To everyone with comments about taxpayer dollars, don't forget that there are current students, as I, that attend FAMU and does not recieve ANY thing much than a $5,000 Pell Grant from the government. And that's split between the Fall and Spring semesters. Let it alone be the fact that I am an out-of-state student who wishes to not be in an "assload" of debt when I graduate and struggling to find proper employment in this economy. FAMU'S popularity amongst the nation has nothing to do with the issues that hit home. The increase does effect the students as well as parents, and will ultimately effect the university as a whole.
  • by Kate on Jun 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Hopefully this place will close. A professor doesn't have to have any brains to work there. All you have to do is read the writing and grammar on these comments.
      by Rick on Jun 9, 2012 at 02:35 PM in reply to Kate
      Kate, I'm a FAMU graduate and I can assure you that I'm much more intelligent than you or anybody in your family. My FAMU Degree has opened many doors and done wonders for me. Because of my FAMU Degree, I was recruited by numerous employers around the country. In an effort to convince me to come work for them, I was flown, all expenses paid, to their headquarters for an interview. Upon graduating from FAMU, I received received numerous job offers. I decided on a very good company that paid for moving expenses, housing and they gave me a brand new car as a bonus. As a matter of fact, the company's recruiter told me that his company was very impressed with the caliber of FAMU graduates that they have been able to convince to work for the company. So while you're sitting in your trailer with no lights and running water, I'm living very good, donating to charity and to FAMU every month. Life is good at FAMU and we're looking forward to the next wonderful 125 years. Sorry you were denied admission.
        by Bubba on Jun 9, 2012 at 04:14 PM in reply to Rick
        Kate would now feel sad for herself if she could feel herself. Underclass blues...
  • by Bayshawn Location: United States on Jun 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    You all are disgusting....I'm a FAMU student who pays tuition. I'm come from a household that has an income of over 140k and have parents with graduate degrees from schools both better than any in this state. Stop trying to label black people with stereotypes. And seeing how my family pays more taxes than the people posting, I can make the argument that you free load off my parents taxes because they most likely put more money into the system than you have.
      by Uh HUH on Jun 9, 2012 at 01:06 PM in reply to Bayshawn
      You are the exception, not the rule. Stereotypes still in effect. What do your parents do, Bayshawn? Both have grad degrees from fine universities and only pull down 140K between them? My very educated guess is that they work for some kind of gov't entity, yes? So in effect, they are STILL drinking from the public fountain, no?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 158271525 - wctv.tv/a?a=158271525