"FIX" the Problem of Unwanted Animals

By: Amy Long
By: Amy Long

Be the Solution, Inc. held it first ever SPAYgehtti dinner to support education on spaying and neutering pets.

In 2009 alone, more than half of the animals taken into the Leon County Animal Services Center had to be euthanized.

Be the Solution, Inc. looks to prevent unwanted litters and try to "fix" the problem of abandoned animals.

Gerry Phipps, Be the Solution, Inc. President says, "We have helped 2,800 pets get fixed. It's putting the money and attention at the beginning of the problem, instead of at the end."

Learn more about how you can help and how you can get financial help to spay or neuter your pet:

• by animaloveralso Location: leon on Nov 5, 2010 at 07:40 AM
    animallover I agree with ya. POOR THING yOu also. IT does seem like lately there isn't any rights for animals. The law can't keep up with all the abusment case they have and then the shelter,i think they could xtend the waiting time before putten them down. This makes me to sad to volunteer. I think i will,then i know i'll be like i just can't do it. At my house now I Have 4 that I keeped from landing there.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 4, 2010 at 02:19 PM
    What are those meatballs? Good cause, but bad choice of dishes. I don't want to hear about neutering while eating "meatballs".
  • by Been There on Nov 4, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    I hate to say this being an animal person myself. I worked in a shelter in a medium sized city that took in 20,000 animals a year. Both stray and turned over. Sad fact is maybe 25% of the best can get adopted. What to do with the rest? You can't put 15,000 animals on a piece of property and hope for the best. Please spay and neuter your pets.
  • by PoorThings Location: Tallahassee on Nov 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    It sickens me that an owner can go to jail for hitting his dog, but they can endlessly kill all the unwanted animals they want. Where is animal rights on that???
  • by Animal Lover Location: Thomasville on Nov 4, 2010 at 08:46 AM
    My son volunteers at our local humane society. He has told me how sad it is to see animals that he walked one week being put down the next week just because they were not adopted. I do not understand why the humane society could not have a CLEARENCE SALE on these animals. Like sale them for a fraction of the cost of the normal fee instead of killing them. Just give them a chance of a goog life instead of death!
  • by juswonderin Location: everywhere on Nov 4, 2010 at 05:48 AM
    I have the land....just no fence, or food, or money to help.....I would love to, but people do not donate like they used to. Maybe someday, if I win the lottery, I will do this.
  • by teaspoon Location: quincy on Nov 4, 2010 at 05:28 AM
    Wish I could afford to take in all these animals, at least for 1 day. To show them the love and care they so much need....sorry, I'm broke
  • by secret place Location: tally on Nov 3, 2010 at 09:31 PM
    I wish I had the room and board for every animal that is unwanted....I would take them all in.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106663628 - wctv.tv/a?a=106663628