FSUPD Arrest Student for Possession of Firearms at Alumni Village

By: FSU News Release
By: FSU News Release

TALLAHASSEE, Fl. - On January 27, 2011, the FSU Police Department received an anonymous letter indicating a resident at Alumni Village a Florida State University housing facility, was in possession of firearms in violation of Florida law on university property. Officers responded to Building 172 and made contact with resident William Zimmermann, 29, a graduate student.

Officers advised the reason for their visit and after receiving consent to search the premises, officers discovered an AK-47 assault rifle and a high-powered rifle with a scope in addition to approximately 460 rounds of ammunition.

Zimmerman was subsequently arrested and transported to the Leon County Jail, where he was booked on a felony charge of possession of a firearm on school property. Follow up investigation by the FSUPD has not revealed any motivations by Zimmermann for possession of the weapons. Zimmermann remains in custody at the jail.

• by nooneofimportance Location: Tallahassee on Feb 10, 2011 at 06:26 AM
    It's sad how many people are totally ignorant of firearms. There are more than 750,000 concealed weapons permits in Florida, and many of these, I'm sure, are in Tallahassee. Just because one idiot student accidentally wastes a life, this doesn't mean that more of them will. Whoever said the 29 year old shouldn't be living in student housing.. ever think that MAYBE he's getting a Ph.D or some sort of advanced degree? Grow a brain please. My Mini-14 rifle will arrive today, as will 200 rounds of .223 ammo. I keep my pistol in my car at work every day. I am a law abiding citizen, one who is defended from criminal intent. I, and 99% of the people like me, will never commit a gun crime.
  • by zoe404 Location: tally on Feb 4, 2011 at 07:15 AM
    Man good thing i not one of his teachers grading his papers. I would hate to see what happens. But for real he knew the rule of the campus and the florida laws, so he just ruined his whole career and life. bummmer
  • by Anonymous on Feb 1, 2011 at 08:35 AM
    LOL, I am all for guns I own them myself and was just curious on the AK-47...used to be the SKS you bought as semi-auto not the AK...need to freshen up :)! I stocked up on amo also, .223 ammo was very hard to come by. Bottom line, everyone freaks over guns on campus these days. I am betting he brought them from where he grew up for a past time and meant no harm.
  • by Anonymous Location: Tallahassee on Feb 1, 2011 at 07:54 AM
    Everything I learned about guns I learned from Call of Duty. =)
  • by Anonymous on Feb 1, 2011 at 05:21 AM
    To 5:05pm: AK-47 is not illegal, there are many rifles that can be auto or semi-auto. You can go to pretty much any gun store and buy a semi-auto AK-47.
  • by Georgia Boy Location: Cairo on Feb 1, 2011 at 03:41 AM
    An AK-47 can be rendered legal by removing the mechanism that allows it to be put on full automatic. I own an M-1 carbine that is military and was full automatic in service, but is semi-automatic now. It is perfectly legal, and I suspect his AK-47 is, also, or he wouldn't have allowed the FSUPD into his house without a warrant. I see some posters, obvious gun control advocates, think the worst of this young man. And I am sure they will, if some haven't already, point to the amount of ammunition he has. Be advised, when Obama was elected his stance on guns was well known and many perfectly sane, law abiding people stocked up on ammunition solely because of some of the things he floated that would have made buying weapons and ammunition difficult.
  • by Scott on Feb 1, 2011 at 03:18 AM
    Never really noticed but... do FSU cops carry guns? I mean, God forbid the Police be held subject to the same laws the rest of us are...
  • by billy on Jan 31, 2011 at 08:50 PM
    he is not charged with an automatic or illegal gun.. so that indicates the rifle was not illegal. he has a absolute right to possess a gun, he is obviously not a convicted felon (otherwise he would be charged as such) this is just an adult with a firearm in his house (alumni village are like homes not dorms).. Does FSUPD have anything better to do?? like idk maybe keep drugs off campus, keeping students from consistently getting robbed? Naw Come to FSU give up your constitutional rights, and get robbed on the rape trail because FSUPD cannot get there act together.
  • by KJ Location: Tallahassee on Jan 31, 2011 at 02:25 PM
    Good job FSUPD. Who knows what was prevented by them doing this.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 31, 2011 at 02:05 PM
    AK-47 is illegal to posess unless he had a permit for it...fully automatic weapon. Did they get the gun description correct?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114944569 - wctv.tv/a?a=114944569