FSU Holds Briefing on Supreme Court's Health Care Ruling

By: Matt Galka Email
By: Matt Galka Email

Tallahassee, Florida- July 6, 2012

A lot of questions still surround the Supreme Court's ruling upholding most parts of the health care reform plan.

Two recent polls: one from the Pew Research Center and the other from the Kaiser Family Foundation showed that less than 60 percent of Americans knew what the Supreme Court Decision was.

"I understand that people might not understand the issues in depth, but the fact that people aren't even aware is a little distressing," said Marshall Kapp, the Director for the Center for Innovative Collaboration in Medicine & Law at Florida State University.

Kapp didn't lead this health care decision forum because of the poll results, but the goal of the briefing was to educate those out there that may not entirely understand how we are affected.

"The issues are complicated. Each one is a potentially multi-billion dollar issue," said Kapp.

Health care providers will be affected by the bill. That's why many med students showed up to see what they could learn.

"I was hoping to get some of the impact towards physicians on insurance premiums and things of that sort being that I'm going to be a future physician," said second year medical student Keniel Pierre.

Kapp says that anyone with questions shouldn't be afraid to ask around.

"The more different perspectives that you can listen to and try to absorb and take into account, the better understanding you're likely to have," said Kapp.

Tallahassee, Florida - July 6, 2012

Two new polls show that many Americans either don't know about or don't care about the recent ruling on President Obama's health care plan in Washington. The results come despite widespread publicity about the case.

The two polls were conducted by the Pew Research Center and Kaiser Family foundation, respectively, but showed similar results about a disconnect with the American people and the health care decision.

Both polls were conducted after the Supreme Court upheld most of President Obama's health care reform plan. The Pew poll showed that just 55 percent of the public knew that the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the affordable care act. The other 45 percent either thought it was struck down, or they had not ruled yet. The Kaiser poll showed only 59 percent of the public knew the correct ruling.

The poll results paint the picture of why FSU is holding a briefing on the health care decision. The university has invited experts in health policy, public health and law from the college to participate and break down the bill.

Stay with WCTV for much more on this story.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 161624025 - wctv.tv/a?a=161624025
Gray Television, Inc.