FSU Students Hold Candlelight Vigil for the Earthquake Victims of Haiti

By: Amy Long Email
By: Amy Long Email

A crowd huddled together and braved the cold to pay their respects to those who have not had comfort for the past year.

Students gathered on FSU's campus for a candlelight vigil Wednesday night (1-12), remembering those lost in the earthquake that shook Haiti one year ago. Shivering hands held flickering candles, as the Haitian anthem filled the air.

Lawrence Gonzaluz, who moved to Florida from Haiti when he was 9, says he still can't believe what he saw on his tv that fateful day. "I'll be honest, I cried mainly because my friend never had a chance to see it how I saw it before."
The one year anniversary reminds Aurelie Mathieu there are still unanswered questions."Don't forget Haiti, keep Haiti in your prayers. I lost many friends, family members and people that I knew..Even to this day, there are still people from my childhood that I'm not sure if they are alive or not."

Those who have seen Haiti first hand after the devastation know the amount of work that has yet to be done. "There were still piles of debris, piles of trash buildings were still in shambles.", "It's actually worst than it ever will be and it will never be the same after that."

"It's going to take a lot. Haiti is a third world country and it's going to take a lot more. Years and years and years.

• by Franklin Thompson Location: Tallahassee on Jan 13, 2011 at 09:41 AM
    No kidding it's still in ruins. Third world countries suffer in the best of times because they have 'leaders' who are crooks and the people who replace them either by 'election' or 'other means' are crooks also. In the worst of times such as these, the citizens suffer exponentially. Over $10,000,000,000 has been sent to Haiti and only $1,000,000,000 has reached its intended relief destination. I'm sure that's just a mistake and it will all get there soon. HA! HA! Oh by the way does anyone remember Hurricane Ike which devastated the Texas coast in 2008? Anyone willing to step up for relief efforts there? They belong to us you know.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 13, 2011 at 09:32 AM
    This is so stupid. Candlelight vigil for Haiti? Come on. We should have one for our country...we're going down the tube!
  • by Me on Jan 13, 2011 at 07:39 AM
    I heard yesterday that over 10 billion dollars was raised but only 2 billion has actually reached the country. What is really going on?
  • by yep Location: tally on Jan 13, 2011 at 06:48 AM
    Help AMERICANS first fix our problems first! My family, friends, and I are not proud of these students. To Living for Jesus, Helping another nation's people is good but not when your own people are suffering instead. No thanks to you. You deserve no pride.
  • by Infidel on Jan 13, 2011 at 06:22 AM
    It has been reported that only one quarter of the donated money has reached the Haitian people....yes, they are wasting their time.
  • by it is what it is on Jan 13, 2011 at 05:47 AM
    You can hold all of the vigils you want to but the fact remains that the crooked govt of Haiti is stealing every dime that is being sent down there for aid. Until you fix that problem, you are wasting your time.
  • by Living for Jesus Location: Tally on Jan 12, 2011 at 09:14 PM
    I was down in Haiti at the beginning of August and there was a lot of devastation still down there.I have friends that are down there now and there is a lot of progress being made but its going to take Prayers and people going down there to help.God is doing amazing things there ii saw a lot of what he is doing.I was able to help rebuild houses and distribute food to several Churches in Port Au Prince.I will always be in Prayer for the people of Haiti.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113432169 - wctv.tv/a?a=113432169