Final Judgment Related to Restrictions of Property Within Wakulla Gardens

By: Wakulla Co. Office of Policy & Public Information Release
By: Wakulla Co. Office of Policy & Public Information Release

Crawfordville, Florida –

On November 5, 2010, a Final Judgment was entered on behalf of Wakulla County that the provisions relating to the restriction of property within the Wakulla Gardens Subdivision to “white people only” is illegal, unlawful, invalid and void.

In June 2009, the Board directed the County Attorney to research legal action relating to a racially restrictive deed covenant applicable to all lots located within the Wakulla Gardens Subdivision after several realtors and citizens expressed concern. The deed restrictions for Wakulla Gardens were adopted in 1964 by The Panacea Development Corporation and included a particular restriction stating that all lots in the Wakulla Gardens Subdivision are restricted to white people only and for residential purposes.

The Wakulla County Attorney’s Office took proper action and it was determined that the offensive restriction is illegal, unlawful, invalid and void. The County will record a copy of the Final Judgment in the Public Records and filing a notice reflecting the invalidity of the provisions relating to the restriction. “It is a brighter day in Wakulla due to the actions of this judgment. This has been long overdue and it’s a sad thing that discrimination still lingers on the books from a darker time in our society”, commented Commissioner Mike Stewart.

• by In the Gardens Location: Wakulla Gardens on Dec 8, 2010 at 08:03 AM
    Like many others, I also live in Wakulla Gardens and I am black. I was a bit hesistant when I saw the covenants but, I signed them and purchased my home. I filed a complaint with the U.S. Housing Authority and was told I did not have a complaint because I was not discriminated against. The person I spoke with was taken aback and couldn't believe that I actually had to sign such a document. Perhaps the case doesn't need to be taken to court but, the covenants need to be removed all together and any other properties they may exist. If we continue to turn the other way things will never get changed. I commend the person who shinned a light on the issue.
  • by RT Location: Tallahassee on Dec 7, 2010 at 03:13 PM
    There are plenty of subdivisions in Tallahassee with similar deed restrictions still on the books. Since they are now illeagal they are unenforceable and therefor void. This "news" story is a non issue, a waste of time and anwarranted as is the legal case.
  • by Resident Location: Wakulla on Dec 7, 2010 at 08:07 AM
    Hey More Waste, the previous stories say that the county attorney handled this case for free.
  • by I wanna know Location: Wakulla on Dec 6, 2010 at 04:28 PM
    @just guessing-since you seem to know so much, why don't you tell us? Inquiring minds want to know...
  • by just guessing Location: wakulla on Dec 6, 2010 at 02:47 PM
    wouldn t you love to know who owned the panacea developement corp
  • by Wakulla Gardens resident Location: Wakulla on Dec 6, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    I bought my home seven years ago and that was one of the first things my partner and i noticed in the deed. We brougth that to our realtors attention and she was very upset after reading it and told us she was immediately going to report it. Well, we bought the home and are still there, and we also helped a friend of ours (black) to decide to buy there also. So, we do have a great lil community, but it is just so unfortunate that that was ever implemented in the deed in the first place. I do understand that was a different time, but it was only the SIXTIES!! I am glad they removed it from the deed however and i hope that it does not dissuade more people of all races to move into the area. Times, they are a changing...
  • by manny Location: wakulla gardens on Dec 6, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    Yes, there are all races and creeds and people who are my neighbors. And they are mostly wonderful people! Except you! And you know who you are!~
  • by crystal ball Location: 3rd dimension on Dec 6, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    I see....I see.......Wakulla Gardens reparations coming soon to a neighborhood near you....
  • by more waste on Dec 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    the only winner's in this story are the lawyers. this was an outdated restriction that was not being enforced anyway, so why waste court time, and media exposure for it? someone just wanted to see their name in the paper doing something that means nothing anyway. When will these elected officials, especially the judges stop allowing such stupid things to clog up the system, it could have been changed behind the scenes without further encouraging any discord between races. Lora doesn't live there or she drives around with blinders on if she hasn't noticed the other races living in HER town.
  • by wondering Location: tally on Dec 6, 2010 at 09:37 AM
    Are there people living in Wakulla Gardens NOW that aren't white?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111380954 - wctv.tv/a?a=111380954