Fla. Bill Would Ban Doctors From Asking About Guns

By: AP
By: AP

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) --

A bill that would prohibit doctors from asking patients if they own guns or denying treatment if patients refuse to answer questions about gun ownership earned its first approval.

The Senate Justice Committee voted 4-1 in favor of the the
measure (SB 432) Tuesday over the objection of several doctors.

Doctors said they sometimes ask patients about gun ownership
during domestic violence screenings, after shootings or to provide
advice to parents on how to keep children safe from accidents.

But bill sponsor Sen. Greg Evers (R-Crestview) said there is no
need for doctors to know about gun ownership and described one case where a child was refused treatment when a question on gun
ownership wasn't answered.

• by Tdog Location: Gainesville on Feb 25, 2011 at 04:14 AM
    I went with my son to his doc for a physical. Was I ever shocked when my son was asked if by the PA if were there firearms in the house? The PA then asked where were they stored? When she asked if he knew how many guns were in the house, I ended the questioning. If the pediatricians want to give information or training on gun safety please feel free to do that. There is currently an initiative that will pay physicians to convert to electronic health records. Without this bill, the government would know what kind, how many, and how and where your firearms are stored. All neatly available by computer. This is a total invasion of privacy. We the People have the Constitutional right to bear arms. It is NONE of the physicians business if there are firearms in a persons home. If this is occurring in your state take action. http://www.claremont.org/projects/pageid.1748/default.asp
  • by airborne on Feb 22, 2011 at 08:44 PM
    Seriously? Are these geniuses that bored with their responsibities we elected them to carry out? It is none of their business or responsibility what a doctor asks a patient or how they treat a patient. That is the AMA's responsibility. If they want to be the Captain, maybe they should go to Captain school. The bottom line is I will trust a physician who has to have at least 14 years of post-high school education, and usually has more, anyday over some of these self-serving bloated politicians who are stupid and ignorant in more ways than one.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2011 at 03:48 PM
    kris, Like I'm really sure that everyone who sees their Dr. for depression will answer correctly. Why don't we ask them if there are any poisons in their house or if they live near any trees or bridges or lakes or swimming pools or if they drive a car. There are plenty of ways to kill yourself, why ask only about firearms.
  • by Doc Location: Florida on Feb 22, 2011 at 01:37 PM
    These "Gun People" have lost their mind! It mirrors Florida's Right-Wing Republican legislature!
  • by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2011 at 01:10 PM
    What a terrible story. No indication about why or how often doctor's ask about guns. I've seen MANY doctors over the years with kids, family, etc., and I've never been asked about a gun. I hope this is really an issue considering the needs of Florida. If this is some type of pet project then Senator Evers better get back to focusing on the economy. I didn't hire him to play on my time.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2011 at 01:03 PM
    It's Senate "Criminal" Justice Committee
  • by CaptainDisbelief Location: Tally on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    You know, you have the option of lying to your doctor, or just not answering the question at all. The roar of stupidity in our state legislature right now is deafening.
  • by Mike Location: Tallahassee on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    way to go! I can not imagine someone who, even after 20 or 30 years straight of doing it still calling what they do "practice" having any right what-so-ever to ask such questions. Neither myself of my family should be penalized in any way for upholding a citizen's RESPONSIBILITY under the U.S. Constitution.
  • by kris Location: tallahassee on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    This is dum If a patient is depressed he can alert the family or friends about the gun within reach and could have avoided a tragic suicidal attempt .Law makers usually think afterwards not preventive .
  • by dog Location: gone on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    Let's see I am a CRIMINAL ,wife beater, drunk,drug addict, Idiot, so you know I would not lie to a "DOCTOR" about owning a Gun, which is probably Illegal because I am a Felon. Get to work legislature and stop wasting MY money on usless Legislation.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116673699 - wctv.tv/a?a=116673699