Fla. Boy Left on School Bus After Falling Asleep

By: AP
By: AP

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) --

A 7-year-old boy spent the day on the school bus after he fell asleep on the way to Parkway Elementary School and went unnoticed by the driver.

Officials say the child wasn't found until sometime after the
driver returned the bus to the school district's transportation
compound Monday, Jan. 24. The child's father was called about 1 p.m. The child was unharmed.

St. Lucie County School District officials say the bus driver
has been assigned temporary duties pending an investigation.

For a few days, the first grader's father says he will drive his
son to school.

• by shelly on Jan 26, 2011 at 06:40 PM
    If you have a young child, take him/her to school yourself. Oh yeah, it's easy to watch out for one. Try taking care of 66 on a bus. Not so easy... yet they are way underpaid.
  • by Highway 20 Resident on Jan 26, 2011 at 06:14 PM
    @yep Location: tally on Jan 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM: This happened 10 years ago and after the incident, they did not ride the bus anymore. I had some very harsh words for the bus driver and the school principal.
  • by marie Location: live oak,fl on Jan 26, 2011 at 09:31 AM
    I think the driver should be FIRED!!How hard is it to walk and make sure everyone is off?Thank god the child was ok.
  • by yep Location: tally on Jan 26, 2011 at 09:26 AM
    The kid must be a heavy sleeper to not be wakened by all the noise. @ Highway 20 Resident: It's terrible what happened to your daughter but I wouldn't let my 5 year old ride a school bus to or from school.
  • by tlh on Jan 26, 2011 at 08:37 AM
    This is why my kids go to a Charter School and even though they have a bus with private drivers, I still drive them across town to get to and fro. After the last few years of bus incidents, I do not think my kids will ever ride a bus. Even though they say they would love it.
  • by friday Location: tallahassee on Jan 25, 2011 at 09:58 PM
    Isn't it pretty unusual that a 7yo gets up in the morning (after presumably sleeping all night), goes to sleep on the bus and sleeps ANOTHER 4 or 5 HOURS?
  • by Highway 20 Resident Location: Tallahassee on Jan 25, 2011 at 06:09 PM
    My youngest daughter fell asleep on the bus on the way from school. She was only 5 years old at the time. This is something that should never happen to any child. It is a very scary and traumatic experience for both the child and the parents. Thus the bus driver just shrugs their shoulder and say "oh well", which totally PO's me.
  • by same thing Location: Ga on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    This happened to my daughter 2 years ago...she has asthma and it was during the hot months...needless to say that driver is no longer a driver....
  • by Anonymous on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    How long will it take to investigate this. I would think that the policy for school bus drivers states that they actually check the bus for occupants before leaving the bus parked. He either checked it or did not. A simple question would be all the investigation that is needed. If he did check it, then he obviously is not competent to safely drive a school bus. If he didn't check it, he should be reprimanded and possibly removed from the job for violating policy.
  • by Parent Location: Georgia on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    It only takes a few minutes to walk the isles. These are precious cargos that you carry every day. Take the time to check please
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114572929 - wctv.tv/a?a=114572929