Fla. Program Makes it Easier to Evict Criminals

By: AP
By: AP

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) --

It's about to get easier for property managers in Orlando to evict criminals.

The Orlando Police Department plans to officially roll out the
Crime Free Multi-Housing program this week.

It works like this. When crimes are committed in Orlando, the
suspects' names and addresses are entered into a database available to apartment managers who are enrolled in the program. If a
tenant's name pops up, property managers can start eviction process
for violating the terms of the lease.

The program began in Arizona during the 1990s after law
enforcement officers grew tired of responding to apartment
complexes involving problems with the same people. Arizona
officials say they've seen a 15 to 20 percent reduction in crime at
participating complexes.

• by Ya Ya Location: Tallahassee on Jan 31, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    Will this law make it easier to evict a sheriff that hits and runs in Wakulla county?
  • by what do you expect Location: greedyville on Jan 31, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    there are not many hotel in americafit or clean enough to live in. i am glad i dont have any rental property. but if i did i would not charge 1200 a month for a trailer.
  • by Libertarian on Jan 31, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    Way too easy to abuse or misuse this. Too much power in the hands of government. If you have committed a crime AND are causing problems in the complex then evict may be warranted but not just for committing a crime. What if your teenager does something stupid - will your whole family get put on the street? Will a DUI or pot possesion charge trigger it? What about an argument between hsband and wife triggering a domestic charge? This law needs some tweeking because it's going to cause a lot of problems.
  • by Angelina Location: Tallahassee on Jan 31, 2011 at 08:19 AM
    This could be a two edged sword, eliminating homes for people guilty of crime could create more homeless criminals. Do you want gangs of homeless crooks roaming the streets? We should be careful who we evict and why. Once we start discriminating against people, who's to say that Jews or blacks or you won't be next in line?
  • by Hmmm? Location: Valdosta on Jan 31, 2011 at 08:18 AM
    So just getting arrested, without actually being convicted, is enough for an eviction? Amazing how the government can take so many liberties.
  • by Tex Location: Lake County on Jan 31, 2011 at 07:58 AM
    So if I pled "no contest" to some very petty fraud issues, adjudication was withheld, I never went to jail, etc. As the judge stated-"just a slap on the wrist, an eye opener", does that mean I I get evicted from my apartment? If it were a violent crime or sex crime I could definitely understand but in my case I filed a worker's comp against the Postal Service and my doctor and their doctor wrote me a prescription for the same medication. I was always told not to ever try and file a worker's comp against the Govt or they would fire back and they do. I was hurt very bad, had to have surgery and have a permanent injury for a lifetime. I have no video evidence of my fall. I even passed a lie detector test. Do I get evicted???
  • by dog Location: gone on Jan 31, 2011 at 07:37 AM
    Criminal's should NOT live on PUBLIC Funds. DRUG TEST, AND CRIMINAL CHECK All That recieve Public assistance.
  • by Ally Location: Tallahassee on Jan 31, 2011 at 06:44 AM
    They need that here in Tallahassee. Would have been able to get rid of some of the riff raff a lot quicker.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114927714 - wctv.tv/a?a=114927714