[UPDATE] Curbing Road Rage: Getting Slow Drivers Out of Left Lane

By: The News Service of Florida; AP
By: The News Service of Florida; AP

The News Service of Florida - May 3, 2011 -

An effort by Rep. Scott Clemens, D-West Palm Beach, to bring up legislation that would require drivers holding up traffic in the left lane to move over to the slow lane, was run off the road Tuesday. The House was considering a catch-all highway safety bill (SB 1150) with several items related to the Department of Highway of Motor Vehicles, when Clemens tried to introduce the proposal, noting that it passed the House in 2005. Clemens listed the names of several Republicans who voted for it then, including current House Speaker Dean Cannon. But the sponsor of the bill, Rep. Ben Albritton, R-Wauchula, raised a point of order that the language was the part of another bill (HB 177) which has failed to get even one committee hearing this year. Clemens then withdrew the amendment, leaving the left lane requirement appearing unlikely to pass this year.

_______________________________________

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- April 6, 2011

The Florida Senate has passed a bill aimed at reducing road rage by requiring motorists driving in the far left lane of a multiple lane road or highway to move to the right to let faster vehicles pass them.

The bill (SB 244) that won approval Wednesday would allow police
to ticket violators for aggressive careless driving.

It makes exceptions for such instances as preparing to make a
left turn, driving the speed limit while not impeding the flow of
traffic and traffic conditions that would make moving to the right
dangerous.

The bill passed 37-1 with Sen. Evelyn Lynn, an Ormond Beach
Republican, voting no.

It next goes to the House where a similar bill (HB 177) has been
filed but not yet heard in committee.

• by liberty Location: fl on May 3, 2011 at 01:20 PM
    if it is a good thing those worthless sobs wont pass it
  • by just curious on May 3, 2011 at 01:10 PM
    Ever try and get back into the left lane to make a turn during rush hour traffic on one of our major roads here in Tallahassee???????? Next to impossible, and no one will let you in, because it will delay them by a few precious seconds.
  • by Anonymous on May 3, 2011 at 09:43 AM
    First of all, yes there are speed limits but if some people choose to speed, let them. It is their business and hit on the wallet. When I started driving 30 years ago the left hand lane was ALWAYS for faster moving traffic. Now we got the slow pokes & idiots in both lanes slowing down traffic & causing issues, so I can see where this causes road rage. Use some common sense people-that is if you have any!!!
  • by Anonymous on May 3, 2011 at 09:23 AM
    Move over I need to hurry up and get home and do nothing.
      by so what on May 3, 2011 at 10:08 AM in reply to
      r u the "do nothing" monitor...who cares why they are in a hurry its not your business just get out of the way before they make road kill out of all of us!!!!
  • by slow drivers move over on May 3, 2011 at 09:01 AM
    I am sure that you people on here commenting are the ones that get in the "passing lane" and drive right next to the person in the right lanes, right?? If you dont want to speed then dont but get out of the way of people who do and let them get their ticket...you guys play a dangerous game in the name of right...right never stopped a raging idiot from pulling out a gun and shooting someone just because of road rage...GET OVER the rager is weaving in and out of traffic causing more possibilities of accidents when u can get out of his way and just let him go! You people are not thinking smart AT ALL!!!!
  • by Ya Ya Location: In the left lane on Apr 8, 2011 at 02:38 AM
    I do not know if I am qualified to comment because I only have 3 million miles of accident free/ticket free driving on my record. Many times it is often unsafe to safely get back into the right lane because impatient speeders cut from the left inside of you to the right. As long as a vehicle is travelling the speed limit, the left lane should be allowed to be used legally. The bill as written would encourage people to speed in the right lane while the law abiding citizen gets a ticket. Road rage can be prevented by locking the fools up and put them in the cell with Mayor Marks and Willie Meggs. David Harvey should be the driving instructor. He is skilled at hit and run and avoiding the law. Ya Ya agrees with Teresa. Go home in the right lane.
  • by Teresa on Apr 7, 2011 at 07:25 PM
    What a waste of taxpayer money. Sitting around talking about cars in the left lane, going the speed limit, and these witless people think they're Speed Racer and need to go faster. Go home, legislature, go home.
  • by Dangerous Law, caters to law breaker speeders who cause road rage! Location: Tallahassee on Apr 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    I agree with John. I will not yield to law breaker speeders tryer to pass me breaking the sound barrier, while honking, cussing, tailing me, or giving me the finger, trying to force me to move over to the right if I am not speeding like them when I choose to drive the exact speed limit. My sister was pulled over for passing someone only going only 5 miles over the legal speed limit while passing and was ticked for speeding. I was driving the exact speed limit on the way to Tampa and saw one State Trooper pull over 4 speeders all at one time. That won't happen to me. I will contine not to react when rude drivers look like the fool in road rage. I will continue to watch them pile up ahead in a crash ahead or get pulled over by the law for speeding. How dare our stupid FL Legislature make such a dangerous traffic law giving speeders the right of way with permission to speed! Let's see if they pay your speeding ticket. Road rage is caused by frustrated traffic law breakers, not law abiding citizens who respect the highways. These fools will have to continue playing with themselves, not with this ole gal.
      by haha on Apr 7, 2011 at 01:07 PM in reply to Dangerous Law, caters to law breaker speeders who cause road rage!
      can't wait for you to get pulled
        by slow drivers move over on May 3, 2011 at 09:02 AM in reply to haha
        I agree!!!
      by get over yourself on Apr 7, 2011 at 01:09 PM in reply to Dangerous Law, caters to law breaker speeders who cause road rage!
      they don't flip out until you REFUSE TO GET OVER. Tell me this: What is your logic to stay in the left lane? There is NO REASON
  • by Guy Location: Here on Apr 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    I agree with this bill 100%. It's simple: get in the right lane if you have traffic behind you. People whining about it are typically the ones holding traffic up.
  • by TMP Location: Tallahassee on Apr 7, 2011 at 09:46 AM
    Haha, so now we are legislating common courtesy!? Thanks, Tea Party, for keeping the government out of our personal lives - you're doin' a heckuva job!!!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119333004 - wctv.tv/a?a=119333004