Leon County Democratic Executive Committee Votes Out Chairman

By: Amy Long
By: Amy Long

UPDATE 12/10
Larry Simmons, the former Leon County Democratic Executive Committee Chair, held a press conference this afternoon 12/10 to talk about what he's calling a bogus election. But - he's not the only one.

Some members of the Leon County D-E-C are also pondering why they did not get a chance to vote on the newly-elected panel, which was voted in on Monday 12/6.

As Committee Chair, Simmons changed the original election date from December 6th to December 13th, but some members still showed up to cast their votes on the 6th ... and Simmons says the election of those new members is valid ... although some are hoping the elections can be overturned.

Michael Brown DEC Parliamentarian, "We're really hoping that the membership that has been dually noticed of this meeting on the 13th, will show up and will have a quorum and that we'll be able to elect permanent officers."

Members of the committee are still holding a meeting on Monday Dec. 13th at First Presbyterian on North Adams at 7pm.

-------------------------------------
"I do feel that there were some folks that wanted to participate and they didn't have the opportunity." says Florida Democratic Rep. Alan Williams.

Monday night members with the Leon Democratic Executive Committee held elections- One of the positions voted to change hands was the chairman- That vote ousted Larry Simmons and brought in Teri Cariota- BUT Controversy surrounds who did and did not show up to vote.

Chairman Larry Simmons says, "There were over 50 some odd people plus elected officials who were not there."

Chairman Elect Teri Cariota says, "I made arrangements for another location and my first obligation was to notify my supporters. However, I did contact the communications chair."

Official Leon County DEC post cards show and members all agree the first scheduled election date was Monday December 6. However, Simmons says he changed that date and sent a post card in ample time to meet guideline requirements to reschedule the vote to Monday December 13th.

"Our bylaws say 7 days advance notice." says Simmons

"They're saying 7 days notice. I'm told 14 days is required." says Cariota.

To some- the vote is said and done.. but Simmons thinks there's another issue at hand. "All you had to to was have gone to that meeting and seen that there were over 90 percent Caucasians there."

Cariota says, "That's not me at all. This is not about race. I'm a member of the human race."

Both members campagined on trust, leadership, and credibility ... Now, other members hope the party will stay strong despite this uncertainty.
REP Williams says, "Whatever happens needs to happen fairly quickly and we need to get a resolution to what every problem is there."

Simmons says one of his options is to appeal the vote. Meanwhile, Cariota won in a landslide, beating Jacob Eaton for the chairmanship.

• by Surprise Location: leon county on Dec 12, 2010 at 04:27 AM
    If its not W. Bush's fault its the race card being played 24/7 - 365 and its long got old with me bummer. I can't wait for 2012 so we can correct the mistake of 2008 giddy up & if i have to crawl on my hands & knees pushing a golf ball with my nose to get to the voting booth I will. "Enough"
  • by Anonymous on Dec 11, 2010 at 08:18 AM
    I can't get a job,loan or anything because i'm black!! But i can get welfare,WIC,foodstamps,free medical and government housing and drive off in a expedition since i'm black. I am so sick of the race card. Attention: All black people who feel mistreated. Please go back to your motherland and see how well you're treated. P.S. Take osama-obama back to kenya with you.
  • by Kelli Location: Tallahassee on Dec 8, 2010 at 08:46 AM
    WOW!!! Another person claiming to be pushed down due to race...UGH!! I am tired of this card being played whenever someone doesn't get their way. You don't hear white people yelling and kicking because we don't have a White History Month, or a White Channel (like BET), or a college fund just for our children, just to name a few. Grow up and take responsibility for your own actions and stop playing this race card. We are all part of the Human Race and should act accordingly.
  • by just sayin, going forward Location: tally on Dec 8, 2010 at 06:56 AM
    ok...he played the race card...how much money and power does he want? Every time this happens I see a culture of fine people being dragged backwards. What a shame...and for the people that shout this racism...Don't worry, I'll still smile but that's about it.
  • by Elizabeth Location: Tallahassee on Dec 8, 2010 at 05:39 AM
    O Please get over yourselfs DEM O RATS me think that you proctest toooo much. COME TOGETHER as John Lennon would say. that is why i vote (I) these two parties are tooooo full of themselves.in other words WHATEVER
  • by Billo Location: Tally on Dec 8, 2010 at 05:32 AM
    Democrats playing the race card...and the sky is blue.
  • by Docker Location: Tallahassee on Dec 8, 2010 at 04:59 AM
    Larry Simmons has exceeded the limits on his race card. It is therefore null and void.
  • by Franklin Thompson Location: Tallahassee on Dec 8, 2010 at 03:11 AM
    Democrats being racist. What a shock!!
  • by Julie Location: Tallahassee on Dec 8, 2010 at 02:19 AM
    Race......... Really, Again...........ugh.......... Isn't this the first time that white folks have been 1 and 2 in the rankings in over 60 years? Please stop with the race crap.....
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111504254 - wctv.tv/a?a=111504254