Florida Gubernatorial Debate

By: Angela Howard Email
By: Angela Howard Email

With just two weeks left before the general election, gubernatorial candidates Rick Scott and Alex Sink squared off in an hour long debate Wednesday night. During that time, a number of topics were discussed, starting with jobs.

"I'm providing for tax cuts for businesses that agree to hire more Floridians, I'm also providing a plan for reviving our economy and diversifying our economy by bringing new industries to the state," said Democratic Candidate Alex Sink.

"I'm gonna be the jobs governor. I'm going to do what I've done every day in business; I'm going to go out and figure out ways to get people to build their businesses. I'm going to cut property tax rates by 19% and phase out the business tax. We'll be the number one state," said Republican Candidate Rick Scott.

The candidates had only 75 seconds to respond to each question, but both used every bit of their time to outline their plans for everything from cutting taxes to immigration to education.

Scott: "What we've got to do is look at each child as an individual. We've got to make sure each teacher is sufficient at moving each child from this level to this level."

Sink: "It can't be just one thing like a test given on one day. I would build out a n umber of factors and I would test it out."

Sink and Scott fielded questions from a panel of three, discussing the housing crisis, their respective business backgrounds and why they ultimately want to be governor.

"I have a detailed 7 step plan. I'm going to hold Tallahassee accountable for every dollar they spend," said Scott.

" I want to bring my values to the governor's office. I'm just still that girl who grew up on a family farm," Sink said.

• by Jon Location: Tallahassee on Oct 22, 2010 at 07:44 AM
    Tarisha, you do realize that there are three branches of government, right? You can't blame everything on the former administration when there was a Democrat controlled congress.
  • by TMP Location: Tallahassee on Oct 22, 2010 at 05:52 AM
    Yes, because when someone disagrees with you and puts out a reasonable statement of concern over the system, they must be crazy. If you have something intelligent to respond to Steve's statement with, say it. If all you have is the same tired old insult (tired on both sides, by the way) then you are a part of the problem with the over-abundance of mud-slinging politics in this country today.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 21, 2010 at 03:05 PM
    Steve- Keep on drinking that Obama/MSNBC koolaid.
  • by Tarisha Location: Florida on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    The reason the economy is in such dire strait is not because of Obama but a previous administration that allowed the Havest o do as they pleased. If everybody would just stop putting the blame on Obama who has been in office less than 2 years to clean up a mess that started before he even considered running for President. Let's put the responsibility for this crisis where it lays. Thsi country is in a mess because we have stopped living as a nation and instead living as individual countries within the United States. Obama did not start this problems, he did not cause people to lose their jobs in Florida, the people lost their jobs because the employers did not want to provide health care for them because it would cut into profits. Greed is what is destroying this country and will continue until somebody take a stand hold everybody accountable for their actions. Nobody held President Bush and his administration responsible when 9/11 happened.
  • by Jon Location: Tallahassee on Oct 21, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    Steve, I agree that there is a need to regulate the financial sector, but there is a thin line between regulation and over-regulation. Before you know it, you have politicians dictating what the private sector can and can't do. There is a reason most politicians majored in law rather than finance.
  • by Karen Location: Winter springs on Oct 21, 2010 at 09:24 AM
    I don't even know if I'll vote this year. There is no candidate I can support. It's scary.
  • by Steve Location: Tallahassee on Oct 21, 2010 at 09:24 AM
    Susan - If it weren't for "Obama's MESS", unemployment would be at 15% nationally, resulting from the complete failure of the auto industry and financial sector. We need tighter, more strictly enforced regulations to prevent this from happening again and PROTECT US from the unscrupulous people in charge that want to steal from the government or everyday average citizens. The lack of regulation and enforcements lead to stuff like the financial collapse requiring the bailouts to save millions of jobs, as well as the environmental destruction caused by the Deepwater Horizon oil disaster. Somebody has to care about ALL of us, not just a select few.
  • by Susan Location: Tallahassee on Oct 21, 2010 at 07:45 AM
    Alex Sink agreed with Obama's MESS and that in itself makes her un-fit.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 21, 2010 at 07:36 AM
    The sponsors don't have the 3rd party candidates, because they don't have a chance of winning the election. How many people even know all the names of everyone running for Governor? This happens at the national level as well. How many Presidential debates include every candidate? Get over it.
  • by Thomas Location: Tallahassee on Oct 21, 2010 at 06:57 AM
    Shame on the sponsors of this debate for not involving the Independent and 3rd party candidates! What good is a debate if it only helps contribute to the two-party hegemony over this country's political system?!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 105402103 - wctv.tv/a?a=105402103