The Florida League of Cities this morning presented Gov. Rick Scott with the attached report from its Keys to the Cities Task Force entitled The Keys to a New Era of State and City Partnership. Mayors Manny Marono of Sweetwater and Patricia Bates of Altamonte Springs made the presentation to Gov. Scott.
The 37-member Keys to the Cities Task Force, created by Florida League of Cities President Joy Cooper, mayor of the city of Hallandale Beach, and chaired by John "Jack" P. Seiler, mayor of the City of Fort Lauderdale, developed the Keys to the Cities as a resource document for Gov. Scott to highlight issues important to Florida's cities.
Among the major points in the document are:
* Cities play a major role in economic growth for our state.
* State leaders should work to protect local self-government and create a new partnership with cities.
* The state should pay for its own good ideas.
* Taxpayers should know which government imposes financial burdens upon them.
* State policy changes should be made to avoid a municipal public safety pension benefits crisis.
* Cities are the center of economic activity in our state and can encourage job creation through the continued development of Florida's business-friendly environment.