Florida Renewable Energy Bill Dead

By: The News Service of Florida
By: The News Service of Florida

Tallahassee, Florida - April 27, 2011 -

A bill that would have allowed investor-owned utilities to increase rates by 2 percent to pay for renewable energy is likely dead after being essentially gutted and then temporarily postponed during a Senate Budget Committee meeting Tuesday. "I pronounce that one dead," said Budget Chairman JD Alexander, R-Lake Wales, who sponsored the amendment. "I don't routinely do that, but I think that one's dead." Alexander's amendment removed the rate hike and would have limited the rate utilities could charge per kilowatt hour for renewable energy projects to their retail rate -- generally far lower than what advocates say is necessary to draw power from solar energy, a key target of the bill. Alexander said the bill was brought up during Tuesday's meeting mostly to put a final version of it on the record. "I was sending a message to whoever, anybody that thinks that that's a good idea," Alexander said. "I think it's a terrible idea."

• by Joey on Apr 27, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    Hmmm seems government still doesn't wanna let go of oil.
      by OneMoreThing on Apr 27, 2011 at 03:08 PM in reply to Joey
      Yeah, haven't you figured this out yet. There is no shortage of oil, there's just a shortage of those wanting to get rich off overpricing gasoline. It's the average person who is paying more. And we are paying for those who are rich from oil even more money, if we stop buying so much gas a the pumps and consolidating trips, gas prices would begin to drop. That's how it's always been, supply and demand.
  • by Steve Location: Tallahassee on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    Today, I am once again embarrassed to call myself a Floridian.
  • by Smokin Joe on Apr 27, 2011 at 08:29 AM
    How many jobs might this bill have created? Weren't jobs the whole point of this legislative session?
  • by Anonymous on Apr 27, 2011 at 08:21 AM
    Good, energy customers did not need to be stuck with an increased cost just so utility companies could make more profit. Now how about some legislation to help homeowners install alternative energy production on their own property?
      by Steve on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:03 AM in reply to
      As much as I would love to install alternative energy things to my condo, 1) It is not permissable to alter the outside of the units and 2) I could not afford it anyway right now. However, utility companies using alternative energy means WE ALL ARE! They are not cheap, but my utility bill going up 2% would not make me broke... we are talking about $3.50/month. That is NOT an expensive price to pay for alternative energy production! Oh, and it is better for the environment.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120778889 - wctv.tv/a?a=120778889