Florida Unemployment Compensation Draws Complaint

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Tallahassee, FL (AP) -- May 24, 2012 --

Two legal groups say Florida's violating federal law with procedural barriers that deprive thousands of jobless workers from receiving unemployment compensation.

They also say data shows Florida has erected more obstacles to unemployment compensation than any other state.

Florida Legal Services and the National Employment Law Project on Thursday released a letter outlining their allegations sent last week to U.S. Labor Secretary Hilda Solis.

They contend a 45-question, online skills test and reporting requirements for job searches and availability to work have unfairly prevented otherwise qualified jobless workers from getting benefits.

The groups allege those barriers violate requirements in federal grants the state has received to administer its unemployment insurance program.

That includes prompt payment of benefits to workers who meet basic eligibility requirements.

• by Rick Scott Location: tallahassee on May 29, 2012 at 06:26 AM
    If 1 does the math its simple, a certain % of 1's pay is put into "unemployment" thus those who work jobs (not under ground employment) can claim "unemployment".. However for me to save face I have made it a requirement to "test" everyone who applies for it (unemployment)... Y'all are lucky i dont make y'all pee in a cup! Now here is the best part, as long as y'all cant claim unemployment, then the "numbers drop/ unemployment % drops" and we as a "state" look better!!! LOL :)--- So good luck and happy hunting!
  • by Mary Location: Tallahassee on May 25, 2012 at 05:55 AM
    This is 100% accurate! I STILL have money left over from when I was on unemployment because that made it impossible for me to get it so I seriously just gave up trying to use their system and THANKFULLY was able to find a REAL job on Craigslist. Get it together Tallahassee. I was born and raised here and everyday I am getting less and less proud of saying that. I am almost embarrassed. So now I am saving to move!
      by Anonymous on May 25, 2012 at 10:08 AM in reply to Mary
      How do YOU have money left over? If you didn't apply for it, it's not your money.
  • by Question on May 25, 2012 at 04:40 AM
    To the Florida Legal Services and the Natl Employment Law Project staff: Why do you advocate for the people who want to take bread out of my mouth?
  • by Anonymous on May 24, 2012 at 07:11 PM
    If a full assessment was made there are probably many more laws in Florida that exceed the bounds required by federal law and many more could be found unconstitutional.
      by Anonymous on May 25, 2012 at 04:58 AM in reply to
      The jobless should be looking for work. Not sitting on their duffs for 99 weeks.
        by Agree on May 25, 2012 at 08:08 AM in reply to
        ...sitting on their duffs and getting money to do so!
  • by God Bless America on May 24, 2012 at 07:09 PM
    legal groups are being paid by the naacp.
  • by Tally Location: Havana on May 24, 2012 at 06:06 PM
    So these liars, I mean lawyers, contend that Florida shouldn't require jobless people to show that they are actively searching for work and then must report a work search in order to receive compensation/benefits?!? Funny, that sounds just like something our government would try to enforce.
  • by BS on May 24, 2012 at 02:01 PM
    Giving people money because they are not working is insane.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 153767595 - wctv.tv/a?a=153767595