Gay Community Brings Awareness to Domestic Violence

By: Donnitra Gilbert Email
By: Donnitra Gilbert Email

Hundreds of gay and lesbian couples packed a church sanctuary in Tallahassee, to shed light on domestic violence in the homosexual community.

This comes after the murder of FAMU student Shannon Washington, who Deputies say was stabbed by her girlfriend Starquenishia Palmer, on September 4th.

Yolanda Fairell is told her story of how she, too, was involved in domestic violence. But she says she wasn't the victim.

"Yes, it happens and it's unfortunate like the heterosexual community, we try and cover this up," says Gay Activist Ron Bunting.

Ron Bunting tells me he's a gay activist and was once married with children prior to coming out.

"Same sex relationships are beautiful relationships and what we need to do is take violence out of those relationships, like we need to take them out of heterosexual relationships," says Event Organizer Yolanda Fairell.

According to a study drafted by the University of Wisconsin:

25-33 percent of gay and lesbian couples experience domestic violence.

Each year between 50,000 and 100,000 lesbian women and gay men are battered.

"I want to learn about domestic violence and how you can get help and how can you report it without being scared," says Event Participant Nialah Robinson.

That's the message Fairell says she wants to put out there.

• by Tom Location: FSU on Sep 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    I'm a white, privileged male who could't get special treatment so now I'm Gay and now I can get special treatment. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
  • by anonymous Location: tallahassee on Sep 12, 2011 at 06:31 AM
    Just a thought: Jesus hates the sin... if referring to the 'same sex' acts that occur, aren't those the same things that heterosexual people do too? Some seem to be forgetting that in the days that Jesus walked the earth, oral sex, manual sex, and masterbation were all sins. So just because you're doing this with someone of the opposite sex (or yourself) doesn't make it not a sin. Oh yeah, and how many of your stone casters were virgins when you got married? It's funny that it's okay for hetero people to do whatever they want. Live with your girlfriend/boyfriend. Have sex with them (all of the same acts that 'gay' people do) but go to church and eventually get married and you're okay? Hmmmm, can anyone spell hypocrit?
      by Anonymous on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:10 AM in reply to anonymous
      H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E.
  • by 850 Transplant Location: Tallahassee on Sep 11, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    Jesus loves me! This I know, For the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong; They are weak, but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me! Yes, Jesus loves me! Yes, Jesus loves me! The Bible tells me so. Jesus loves me! This I know, As He loved so long ago, Taking children on His knee, Saying, “Let them come to Me.” Jesus loves me when I'm good, When I do the things I should, Jesus loves me when I'm bad, Though it makes Him very sad. Jesus loves me still today, Walking with me on my way, Wanting as a friend to give Light and love to all who live. Chorus Jesus loves me! He who died Heaven’s gate to open wide; He will wash away my sin, Let His little child come in. Chorus Jesus loves me! Loves me still Tho' I'm very weak and ill; That I might from sin be free Bled and died upon the tree. Chorus Jesus loves me! He will stay Close beside me all the way; Thou hast bled and died for me, I will henceforth live for Thee.
      by Anonymous on Sep 11, 2011 at 01:35 PM in reply to 850 Transplant
      My first image here is of you with hands clamped tightly over your ears, elbows sticking out and rapidly pacing around singing this really LOUD as someone tries to explain that we should all respect each other regardless of our differences - whatever they may be. No matter how you try to spin it, interpret it or make it up, Jesus would not have turned away anyone.
        by Dee on Sep 12, 2011 at 04:25 AM in reply to Anonymous
        Jesus will not accept an unrepentant sinner. Twisting facts to try to justify your perversion won't work.
          by Anonymous on Sep 12, 2011 at 05:43 AM in reply to Dee
          As stated in an earlier post, Jesus will not do anything because he no longer exists. He died a long time ago. Believe in ghosts if you want, but there really is no invisible guy floating around out there doing magic things. Earlier humans created gods out of fear of the unknown. Belief and faith may make people feel better which is fine, but it's really all in the imagination and certainly not worth the hatred and holy wars that it has caused.
          by Ano Nymous on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:56 AM in reply to Dee
          OK, let's say you're religious and believe in "sin", religion, Jesus, etc. Why would you repent if you did not believe you were sinning? People who choose to have same-sex partners do not see it as wrong whether they are religious or not. The only ones who say it is sinful are those who disapprove. So why would you repent for something you don't see as wrong. And why do so many christians obsess so much about sex? There are better ways to spend your time.
      by Jenn Barker on Sep 11, 2011 at 07:22 PM in reply to 850 Transplant
      How can you be sure that your "Jesus" wasn't a child molester? Or may be he was just little bit gay? Inviting little children to sit on his lap? And spreading around his "light and love to ALL who live" (whatever THAT may be a euphemism for?!). I bet he gave little kids "Jesus Juice" too. What a creepy sounding dude!
        by Steven Heathen on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM in reply to Jenn Barker
        I have to say Jenn that even I, as an atheist, see your post as a big steamin' load of bull. I believe Jesus was a very good and noble man who spread the message of love and compassion while he was alive. Unfortunately for him and his family, the authorities had him killed for having too big a following. Now there are millions who foolishly believe in his ghost. But still....when he was alive, I'm sure he was a great guy.
  • by Proud lesbian Location: Wakulla County on Sep 10, 2011 at 07:29 PM
    To the haters: Where you born hateful or did you choose to be hateful? And to the religious bigots: I am glad that my God does not have a problem with me, but He surely does have a problem with those of you who do not follow Jesus example of love.
      by Anonymous on Sep 10, 2011 at 07:43 PM in reply to Proud lesbian
      I'm a straight guy and count LBGT folks among my friends. Proud lesbian makes a good point. Who would Jesus hate?
        by Franklin on Sep 11, 2011 at 06:57 AM in reply to Anonymous
        Jesus hates sin and the homosexual and lesbian acts are sin. He does not hate the sinner but hates the sin they commit as a matter of their lifestyles.
          by Anonymous on Sep 11, 2011 at 07:17 PM in reply to Franklin
          Jesus doesn't hate anything. He died a long time ago. These myths, legends and fairy tales are just that. God lives in people's imaginations.
      by Wow! on Sep 10, 2011 at 08:16 PM in reply to Proud lesbian
      I'm not Jesus, and won't presume to speak for him. But personally I find any type of same sex relationships to be vile and abnormal. Don't think much of those who aren't homosexual who support it either...
      by straight guy on Sep 11, 2011 at 12:02 AM in reply to Proud lesbian
      jesus did not say he hated you. he said it wasa sin. and we haters read the bibleand beleive him. so that is between you and god on jugement day.
        by Ano Nymous on Sep 11, 2011 at 08:52 AM in reply to straight guy
        Jeez, talk about an oxymoron: "...we haters read the bible and believe in him." Do you haters have a name for your group or maybe a club motto, secret handshake?
          by We Haters on Sep 11, 2011 at 03:15 PM in reply to Ano Nymous
          Nothing engraved in stone, gloves, Doc Martins and the usual baseball bat or axe handle if the member likes to go all out. Care to come to a meeting, you'd be the center of attention.....
        by Anonymous on Sep 11, 2011 at 09:06 AM in reply to straight guy
        So if it's between me and god, then why are you getting involved?
        by Ano Nymous on Sep 11, 2011 at 05:36 PM in reply to straight guy
        I think your We Haters pal below has confused christianity with white supremacists or KKK - something like that. I'm pretty sure real christians don't react to differing opinions by bashing peoples' heads in. Must be a lack of education.
      by Jim on Sep 11, 2011 at 08:19 AM in reply to Proud lesbian
      What a moving statement? Justify right deviant social behavior? Live with it. "my God does not have a problem with me." How do you know she does not have a problem with you?
  • by Franklin on Sep 10, 2011 at 05:56 PM
    There is no 'gay'. That is a legitimate term that has been ruined. Call them by name: homosexual and lesbian. And there is no community. They exist among us.
  • by Jim Location: Gadsden County on Sep 10, 2011 at 03:59 PM
    Yea that the old shed the light concept. That is sweet. Hope everybody got out of the packed church ok..Hey lets everybody have a meeting..........
  • by straight guy Location: ga on Sep 10, 2011 at 03:20 PM
    just goes to sho you their minds are not right. also why the church and not the gay bar. BEING GAY IS A SIN.
      by Anonymous on Sep 10, 2011 at 03:37 PM in reply to straight guy
      Wow, another brain-dead christian.
        by straight guy on Sep 10, 2011 at 04:40 PM in reply to Anonymous
        it is a sin to let another's man's testicals hang on another mans chin.
          by Anonymous on Sep 10, 2011 at 07:52 PM in reply to straight guy
          OK dude, now you're creeping me out. If that kind of stuff is in the bible, you might want to find a different book to read. A walk wouldn't hurt either. Get some air.
          by pastor john on Sep 11, 2011 at 12:08 AM in reply to straight guy
          praise the lord straight guy. i see you read the good book to.
  • by Wow! Location: Tallahassee on Sep 10, 2011 at 02:16 PM
    Keep your problems and gender confusion to yourselves. The majority of us will buy tickets to a circus when and if we want to be entertained by the strange and abnormal..
      by Anonymous2 on Sep 10, 2011 at 03:37 PM in reply to Wow!
      Wow, another brain-dead redneck.
        by Wow! on Sep 10, 2011 at 08:12 PM in reply to Anonymous2
        And judging from your erudite and well composed response your a genius......
          by Anonymous2 on Sep 11, 2011 at 06:26 AM in reply to Wow!
          That's right. Thank you for noticing.
      by it's not going to happen hear. on Sep 10, 2011 at 04:50 PM in reply to Wow!
      the circus FUNNYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
  • by Jake Location: FSU on Sep 10, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    To each his own. Don't push in my face what you do under the sheets. You're White, African-American, or Latino-American and the way you "do it" doesn't define what you are.
      by p.brown on Sep 10, 2011 at 07:27 PM in reply to Jake
      its the religious right and nosy who seem obsessed about what i do under the sheets. i would prefer you nowhere near my sheets.
  • by Straight as an arrow Location: USA on Sep 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    Who cares what the gay say. They aren't a community. The are sinners waiting for their meeting with God.
      by Frances on Sep 10, 2011 at 01:14 PM in reply to Straight as an arrow
      They're homosexuals - let's not allow them to hijack a perfectly good word to describe a perversion anymore.
        by Ano Nymous on Sep 10, 2011 at 03:43 PM in reply to Frances
        So did you two become stupid suddenly, or did it happen gradually over a period of time?
          by Straight as an arrow on Sep 11, 2011 at 03:39 PM in reply to Ano Nymous
          Who is stupid. I know what i was born with and how to use it. You are the stupid one and might I say disgusting. You should have left it in the closet.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 129569678 - wctv.tv/a?a=129569678