Governor Scott and Other Legislators Pray For Guidance at Red Mass

By: Jennifer Milton Email
By: Jennifer Milton Email

Governor Rick Scott and other lawmakers joined hundreds of Catholics as they prayed for guidance at a local church.

The Co-Cathedral of St. Thomas Moore was flooded with people who traveled from across the state for the church's 36th annual red mass. During red mass, Catholics join together in prayer so that legislators and members of the legal profession will stay true to justice.

"The red mass is a centuries-old tradition. We celebrate liturgy to ask the Holy Spirit to give wisdom to the legislative, judicial and executive branches of the government," said Sheila Hopkins.

The custom of a special mass for the bench and the bar arose in England, France and Italy in the early 13th Century. The first recorded red mass was in Paris in the year 1245.

• by Littie on Mar 17, 2011 at 01:23 PM
    Yes @ truth hurts, Scott is Bush with no hair! Just as bad, just as hurtful to the State of Florida. If we have an outbreak of anything right now, we will be in a world of hurt because we have no infrastructure to take care of an epidemic. Now all we need is for a terrorist to set off a dirty bomb, etc. Then you can go slobber all over your Scott and thank him as your relatives die from lack of medical care and help to organize relief and assistance ...thank him for his underhanded way he's doing things, no directives on paper, no explanation for what he is doing, only innuendo and slight of hand. A person who can't be a man and say what they will do, put it in writing, and carry it through standing behind his beliefs, is still a crook. (may I remind you of Silverado Savings and Loan) There are smart ways of bringing in industry, and there are destructive ways. Like I say, if we have an epidemic of any type, thousands will die, trust me. He has destroyed everything WITHOUT A PLAN to replace what he has ripped apart. IMO
  • by Anonymous on Mar 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    I don't think anyone knows more about playing the hand they were dealt or tightening their belt then a majority of government employees. People who go to college and get degrees to do the public a service for very little pay. And some of you have the audacity to demonize these people? I say shame on you. I, for one, appreciate all that the State of Florida employees do for it's citizens.
  • by @Boo Hoo on Mar 17, 2011 at 09:54 AM
    How dare you preach responsibility and ownership? The nerve you have to make do with what you have and tighten your belt when needed. I can't believe you go out and improve your situation on your own instead of sitting around sulking about it on blogs. The audacity you have to not depend on others and provide for you and yours. (Please notice the sarcasm sometimes missed in written word). My hat is off to you and yours my friend.
  • by Truth Hurts on Mar 17, 2011 at 09:48 AM
    I love all these so called "Christians" bashing Scott on this blog. You can disagree with the man, but personal attacks are a little much. Who do you think he is Bush? What a bunch of hypocrites.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 17, 2011 at 08:20 AM
    I work in the public sector because I enjoy helping people. I provide a service that is important to all people within the State of Florida, but it is not a money making service so it would never be attempted by a for-profit company. My skills can earn more in the private sector, but I like helping people. The benefits were an incentive to stay, but the pay sure isn't. Now that the masses have turned against me and my peers I am looking to transition to the private sector. Will I make more money? Probably. The constant attacking now outways the satisfaction I get from helping people. I don't want praise nor a pat on the back, but don't take your frustrations out on me when I provide you a quality product. Unfortunately there are many like me, that we are being scorned to the point that the best are going to leave and the only ones who stay are the ones who have no other option. What will then happen? Well, the public services are going to be lousy.
  • by Jeremy Location: Gainesville on Mar 17, 2011 at 07:42 AM
    @ Boo Hoo: You make less then half of the people who do the same job as you with the same degree or high school diploma or whatever you have and are both in the private sector? I can not say the same - my classmates from UF that still have jobs in the private sector are doing much better.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 17, 2011 at 07:25 AM
    Waste of time. Get to work! There is no fairy in the sky.
  • by Jonathan Swift Location: Florida on Mar 17, 2011 at 07:21 AM
    Just who are they praying to? These miscreants certainly DO NOT follow the teachings of Jesus. Actions speak louder than words, or prayers...
  • by Jeremy Location: Gainesville on Mar 17, 2011 at 07:02 AM
    @ Boo Hoo: I had a private sector job for many years and was laid off. After months of living off nothing but savings, I took a job at Publix making 8 dollars an hour - an enormous drop from the 65k I had been making. Without having to uproot and move to another state, I took a severe drop in pay to my state IT job. As soon as people start hiring, I will most likely go back to the private sector. There are (were) certain benefits to public service – job stability and good benefits. Those are no longer the case. We now have no job stability and our benefits are being flushed down the toilet, on top of having severely underpaid salaries compared to private companies. I am all for making the state government more like a private business, but it needs to be all the way around. Do you honestly think it is fair, Boo Hoo? That government employee’s have to take a cut in benefits and salary when they are already underpaid. I will be waiting for your response. But somehow, I think that if you were making less than half of what your peers were making and then asked to take salary and benefit cuts on top of that – you might be a little upset yourself.
  • by Luttie on Mar 17, 2011 at 06:51 AM
    R Scott needs more than a prayer. He needs a swift kick out the door. If they can make a law to not recall a gov, then they can make another law that says we can. Do it now.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118148129 - wctv.tv/a?a=118148129