Haridopolos is Taking Heat

By: Troy Kinsey Email
By: Troy Kinsey Email

Tallahassee. FL- Today (12-3) the top man in the state senate told the Florida ethics commission he's guilty. But he may not have to pay the price, all thanks to the power he wields at the capitol.

Mike Haridopolos, (R) Senate President, says, "My wife's not happy with me, my newspaper's not happy with me, and I'm not happy with me."

Over the course of four years, Senate President Mike Haridopolos pulled in 97,000 dollars in consulting fees. But, he never disclosed exactly where the money came from.

As a public official, he was required to do that, to shed light on whether or not he might have a conflict of interest. It turns out the money came from two marketing companies, and Haridopolos calls the omission an honest mistake, but, he also left out a 400,000 dollar Mount Dora investment home.

Critics are accusing Haridopolos of being 'devious'. Now, the commission can't hand down a punishment - that's up to Haridopolos' own office. Today the Melbourne republican handed his case over to the senate rules committee, made up of people directly appointed by, you guessed it...Mike Haridopolos.

His attorney, Pete Dunbar, tells us under Florida law there's really no other option.

Dunbar says, "The penalty here has already been paid, for the embarrassment for not reading the directions correctly, and I don't think any further action should be taken and I would advocate that strongly."

Despite the way the system is spelled out in state law, Haridopolos is already taking even more criticism... This time over a *different* kind of conflict of interest.

• by Marcy Location: Tallahassee on Mar 1, 2011 at 04:59 AM
    Wow, I've read some exerpts from this book - can I get $150k plus to write a single 150-page book, too? I bet mine will be better written, especially for $1,000 per page!
  • by Desmond on Feb 17, 2011 at 07:19 AM
    I can understand if it was even a few thousand dollars but this was six figures. As is often the case this might not be the full story either.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 8, 2010 at 02:41 PM
    President Haridopolos is a good man. He works hard for his money. He is not only a Senate President (which by the way only get paid $25,000/year), he is also a college professor. His wife Stephanie Haridopolos is a doctor. Obviously they make good money, but have worked for it. People make mistakes. He atleast admitted to his mistake instead of lying or blaming someone else. He took and is taking the heat for his actions. He is an honest man.
  • by Just a Guy Location: Panhandle on Dec 8, 2010 at 01:17 AM
    This is just wonderful. I am literally scraping pennies to make sure my family eats today and this guy has so much money he just forgets about it!
  • by holy smoke on Dec 5, 2010 at 03:34 PM
    This character hasn't even taken office yet and he's already been caught doing crooked things. All politicians need to go to jail.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 5, 2010 at 03:30 PM
    It doesn't say he didn't disclose the income. I'm sure he paid the taxes (unlike Rangel). He did not disclose exactly where the money came from. This is wrong, but many of the comments show ignorance of what this is about.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 5, 2010 at 06:31 AM
    Must have taken lessons from Charlie Rangel(D).
  • by G Location: tally town on Dec 5, 2010 at 06:17 AM
    That he forgot to report it is absolute BS! Where are the ethics in this? Everybody is held accountable for their own actions. The State's corrupt enough! Now we throw ethics right out the window and deliver a slap on the wrist? Sorry! I'm a state worker. If you really want to know about the un-ethical practices, or care, ask a state worker! (The ones who actually know, not the middle to upper management!)
  • by Jay Location: Over round home on Dec 4, 2010 at 03:19 PM
    Opps..another one just like the other ones, Rick scott, Tom Delay and on and on
  • by DM Location: Tallahassee on Dec 4, 2010 at 09:42 AM
    I sure wish I had so much money coming in that I forgot about it. Oh, and that little $400k house... If they can't punish him, maybe he'll pay in the next election.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111304074 - wctv.tv/a?a=111304074