Homeless Feeding Ban

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Four more activists have been arrested for
feeding pancakes and donuts to the homeless in downtown Orlando.

Police officers handcuffed the activists and loaded them into a police van Monday just after they had distributed food to about 30 homeless people in defiance of a city ordinance.

The Orlando ordinance requires groups to get a permit to feed 25
or more people in parks in a downtown district. The rules also restrict the groups to two permits per year for each park.

The law was passed in 2006, but Orlando Food Not Bombs challenged it in court. In April, a federal appeals court in Atlanta ruled that the Orlando law was legal.

Last week, four other activists were arrested for violating the law.

• by DTH Location: Tallahassee on Jun 8, 2011 at 07:51 AM
    "The Orlando ordinance requires groups to get a permit to feed 25 or more people in parks in a downtown district." To get around this Law, just have ONE PERSON feed 24 People then Leave and have another Person feed 24 more People then leave and then another Person feed 24 People then leave, ETC, ETC, ETC.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 8, 2011 at 05:16 AM
    :( why? thats the saddest thing i've ever heard...what if we were in their shoes?
  • by Anonymous Location: Tallahassee on Jun 7, 2011 at 03:45 PM
    No one wants to go to the " Magic Kingdom " and rub shoulders with addicts and vagrants. Bad enough when your approached for handouts at WalMart here in Tally on a regular basis. I'm scared to let my kid go to the store by herself..
      by Debra on Jun 7, 2011 at 09:40 PM in reply to Anonymous
      I sure hope you are not teaching your children to be as cold hearted and narrow minded as you are about people less fortunate.
        by 2Debra on Jun 8, 2011 at 05:24 AM in reply to Debra
        Debra, less fortunate is a screen for poor judgment, lack of commitment, anti social behaviour and addiction. What I want to know is how many have you managed to help by being kind? A second hand coat keeps them warm on the corner, but they're still on the corner. Hand'em money and it's used for a pack of smokes and a high. Leave them to their own means and your residence or vehicle is burglarized or your wife or kids get mugged. You like'em, you can have'em....
          by Debra on Jun 8, 2011 at 02:11 PM in reply to 2Debra
          Well let me run this by you.I am known at the Tennessee Street shelter as "Big Mama" I cook at my home on Mondays and Fridays then transport the food to the homeless.I manage to feed 150-200 people each day.I even moved 2 of them into my home and treated them like family.These guys got jobs.One of them has his own business now.So all of them are not muggers,rapists and thieves.There are still people with compassion for others but,you just happen not to be one of them
      by 2Debra on Jun 8, 2011 at 11:52 PM in reply to Anonymous
      I hope you don't have children at home. You may be kind hearted but bringing a vagrant into your home sure isn't an earmark of intelligence.
        by Debra on Jun 9, 2011 at 07:38 AM in reply to 2Debra
        Judgement day is coming.God bless you.
  • by Debra Wilson Location: United States on Jun 7, 2011 at 01:58 PM
    Is it against the law to feed on church grounds?It may be a solution.
  • by Donna Location: Tallahassee on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    I suggest going every day with 24 meals. Partner with another group to bring another 24 meals. Then get press coverage, from outside Orlando.
      by how about this on Jun 8, 2011 at 04:23 AM in reply to Donna
      No that I disagree with helping people in need; I think you and 23 other people should adopt these folks into your home to live as your kids. Otherwise, just like clockwork, they will be there waiting on you every day to come and feed them. They'll then go to the overpass and bum enough money for cigarettes, beer and the cell phone bill. Don't get depressed, they'll be back the next day for their regular feeding. Hand up...not hand out...
  • by Dee Location: Quincy on Jun 7, 2011 at 09:04 AM
    It is so sad that a officer would enforce this law..yes you might say i'm just doing my job. well you should take some pride and you can't be happy with yourself...you are someone in your family might be homeless one day and then what..this is a stupid law and orlando is one of the most toured places what if people stopped touring then what some of those same people who helped with this law might lose their jobs...we have got to think...and help one another...
  • by Anonymous on Jun 7, 2011 at 08:53 AM
    dont stress it people the ones who voted and implemented this law will see it again they didnt do this to the homeless they did it to god when you do this to the least these my brethern you did it unto me thats wat the bible says and it is backed up by karma
      by Anonymous on Jun 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM in reply to
      AMEN
  • by Anonymous on Jun 7, 2011 at 07:37 AM
    Man, Let me go down there and get me some pancakes. maybe they have sausages too. Yummy
  • by Rayna Location: Florida on Jun 7, 2011 at 06:46 AM
    I can't believe that any law enforcement person would enforce this stupid law. I guess Orlando enjoys watching the homeless (adults and chidlren)being miserable. It is very joyful in knowing that somebody cares about the homeless because this country has given up on them. We must remember we are one green bean from being homeless and what would we want people to do for us. We always ask the question: What Would Jesus Do? she would defy this law and do what is morally right.
  • by More Conservative Hatred on Jun 7, 2011 at 05:58 AM
    What's next, euthanize them? Why stop there? Why not the old and infirm?
      by Anonymous on Jun 8, 2011 at 05:27 AM in reply to More Conservative Hatred
      Actually I was thinking of the liberal and worthless. Like you.
        by You Proved My Point on Jun 8, 2011 at 08:03 AM in reply to Anonymous
        Doesn't take much to draw you neo-Nazis out of the woodwork does it? Just what exactly are you contributing to society that is worth anything? You say you are against "socialism" but you're really just antisocial and uncivilized, worse than the beggers on the street.
          by DidJaKnow on Jun 8, 2011 at 11:44 PM in reply to You Proved My Point
          Ain't much difference between a liberal democrat and a beggar, both expect something for nothing, eh? And I hate to break it to you but charity should begin at home, family and in the church. All of which are out of fashion with progressives. They are much more into on demand abortion and government subsidies...
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123335643 - wctv.tv/a?a=123335643