House Fire Death in Crawfordville

By: Eyewitness News Email
By: Eyewitness News Email

Crawfordville, Florida -- A 58-year-old Crawfordville woman died Thursday, Oct. 21 after being pulled from a house fire reported at 7:43 a.m. at 157 Finner Road in northeast Wakulla County, according to Sheriff David Harvey.

Sherrol Lee Wilson died at 9:21 a.m. after being transported by medical helicopter to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital. The State Fire Marshal was called to the scene to investigate, but there is nothing to indicate foul play.

Investigators said her son, David Eric Wilson, 34, was sleeping on the couch when he awoke to his mother shouting from the bedroom. He navigated smoke throughout the home and found his mother’s clothing on fire along with part of the bed and dresser.

He was eventually able to extinguish the clothing fire by using a fire extinguisher and garden hose. A Department of Corrections employee passing the home stopped and rendered assistance as the two men took Sherrol Wilson out of the house. She had third degree burns to her upper torso.

The fire was extinguished by 8:08 a.m. and the origin of the fire appears to be around the pillow and dresser area. Early indications show Ms. Wilson may have been smoking in bed.

The State Fire Marshal was called to the scene to investigate. The medical examiner will conduct an autopsy to determine cause of death which is believed to be complications from the fire as the victim had other medical issues.

While there is water, heat and smoke damage at the home, most of the structure was salvaged. Investigating the fire for the sheriff’s office were Det. Melissa Harris, Lt. Bruce Ashley, Det. Derek Lawhon and CSI Allison Blackstock.

The Wakulla County Fire Department responded to the blaze along with the St. Marks and Wakulla Station volunteer fire departments.

____________Report by Amy Long ___________

David Wilson moved home to care for his mother who had some medical issues.. And Thursday morning was no different.

"I was shocked. I was shocked. Dave came over and said I tried. I tried my best to get her out, but I just couldn't." says Jerome Evans the Wilson's neighbor.

Besides the charred mattress in the driveway- the home off Finner Road in Crawfordville looks perfectly fine on the outside. It's what happened on the inside that claimed the life of Sherrol Wilson and will forever change the life of her son David.

Thursday morning, David awoke to his mother screaming "hot! hot!" he says he jumped off the living room couch and noticed the home already filled with smoke - .He opened his mom's bedroom door and saw her and her clothing engulfed in flames. David called for help and was able to move his mom away from the fire, using a garden hose to extinguish the flames.

Later on, he found comfort in those nearby. "I was hurt. Dave came over and told me about it and we both just cried." Evans says.

Investigators say the fire stared around Wilson's pillow and dresser area leading them to believe she was smoking in bed. Bruce Ashley with the Wakulla County Sheriff's Office says, "We would hope that people do not choose to do that because it's dangerous and a lot of items associated with the bedroom are very flammable."

Evans says,"We all loved her around here. We're going to miss her because we always see her all the time. Everyday she passed by she was always waving up her hand and smiling and keep on going.."

Thursday evening neighbors stopped by to share their condolences. The American Red Cross will be assisting Wilson. He says his main concern is losing his mom's home now that she's gone.

Meantime - The state fire marshal is still investigating and an autopsy will be conducted.

• by Anonymous on Oct 22, 2010 at 08:05 AM
    i met sherrol at the bread story in quincy she is a wonderful person that will be greatly missed we spent a lot of time talking about our life and how we were amost in the same catergore even though she had a bumpy road she loved he family and her furry friends ,did any one see the black in the window on the new in the background i know the they will miss her and so will i god bless bre and david she talk about you all the time i wil miss you my friend an confedant david be am sorry for you loss.
  • by TallyTrashTalks2 Location: Tallahassee on Oct 22, 2010 at 06:29 AM
    My very deepest sympathy to the family in their loss. Ms. Wilson must have been a very special lady from the loving comments I am reading. May she rest in peace.
  • by Hank,Bill Cornish Location: Tallahassee on Oct 21, 2010 at 09:11 PM
    Breanna And David,We are so Sorry about your Nanna/Mother,Our Hearts and Our Prayers are with You and Your Family,We Love you Gurl!!And David God Bless You For Being There With Your Mama,So Brave and Serverly Hard thing to do,You Know Your Mother Is Proud of You for Being Strong in helping Her,God Had Other Plans for Her so David You just know that You are Your Mothers Hero,And Looks down and prays You continue to take care of Breanna for her, She Loves Yall,And Yall are In so Many Peoples Prayers, God Bless Yall!! "Hank & Bill Cornish"
  • by Betty{Dutchess}Hampton Location: Tallahassee on Oct 21, 2010 at 08:39 PM
    David & Bree.Honey Im so sorry about this,We dont know how God wants to call us home to him,I know Sherrol was a Christian Lady and A VERY Dear Friend,So Many Times she at ANY time day/night would go check on my Daughter and Granddaughter{Selena&Chelsie}Down the Road,And She and David helped them out for years,Bree{as I Call Her}is Chelsie's Best Buddy,They grew up together,Its So Hard to Loose Our Love Ones,And So many words in Our minds,nothing seams right to say,I have so Many Emails that Sherrol has sent me photos of her Animails&Kids and"US"Talking about Our Kids,I'll Miss my Dear Friend,But Jesus called her home,And He needed His Angel there with Him,She will Indeed Be Blessed For Helping People,Esp.My Daughter,And all that Good Bread,and sweets from work she would bring,We had alot of CoffeeW/Lots of Talks,Laughs and Tears,We all Loved Her, And God Knows She will be Missed and Loved from Us Here,We all Still got Our Journey Home"Our Prayers"Dutchess,Alesha,Selena,Chelsie&Trina"
  • by Laura Location: Tallahassee on Oct 21, 2010 at 06:59 PM
    I cant believe this happened to grandma sherrol. I havnt seen nor heard from her in so long and somthing this tramatic happens. My cousin Breanna and my uncle david, i love you guys. My dad is coming home to make arrangments for everything he says this sunday. Everything is going to be ok. I just remember like it was yesterday, growing up hanging out at her house with the family. Love you grandma sherrol
  • by chris on Oct 21, 2010 at 05:34 PM
    As my sister said above i have know miss.Sherrol for almost all my life i met her when i was five. her daughter was my baby sitter. sherrol has had a bumpy road of life loing her daughter at a young age and the struggle she went through with her son she has not had it easy and im just sorry they couldnt have got to her sooner my toughts and prayers are with david and Breanna.
  • by Michele Location: wakulla county on Oct 21, 2010 at 04:22 PM
    Sherrol has been a friend for years. She was an animal lover as I am. Has arrangements been made to care for them. I know this would be one of Sherrol's first concerns. I'll miss you girl and the pics of your fur babies.
  • by TallyMom Location: Tallahassee on Oct 21, 2010 at 02:08 PM
    What a sad story. My prayers are with her family. If you are a smoker, please get a comfy chair outside to sit in and smoke. It is far too dangerous to smoke inside in a place where you could fall asleep.
  • by meg Location: c-ville on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    ms. sherrol will be missed she was my neighbor for many years. she was a very nice lady. My father is one of the men that helped her out of the house.I know her son david and granddaughter breanna will greatly miss her along with her friends and neighbors.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 105454193 - wctv.tv/a?a=105454193