[UPDATE] House Fire in Woodville

By: Eyewitness News; Julie Montanaro Email
By: Eyewitness News; Julie Montanaro Email

UPDATE 12-24-2010

We have had many requests asking where people can send help or get involved.

The best way to to that is to get in contact with the America Red Cross.
Topi Henderson is the casework specialist helping Charles Marsh try to regroup in the wake of the fire.

Here is that contact information:

Topi Henderson
Casework Specialist
American Red Cross
1115 Easterwood Drive
Tallahassee, FL 32311
(850) 878-6080


UPDATED 12.23.2010 by Julie Montanaro

A Woodville man who lost everything in a fire this week is now trying to figure out what to do next.

62 year old Charles Marsh has lived in his home on Red Rose Lane for 40 years.

Monday night, he says, he accidentally left the stove on after making dinner and soon found the house filling with smoke.

He says he got to the kitchen in time to see the fire ignite and race up the wall.

He scrambled to save his roommate and his beloved pet ... a parrot named Corkey.

"We were lucky to get out of it, because right after we got out, there was a ball of fire as big as a car came through that front door," Marsh said.

Marsh says he has no insurance and for now he and his roommate, 75 year old Samuel Rhames, will try to live on the front porch.

Marsh is trying to convert the porch to a bedroom and plans to secure it with plywood and heat it with a kerosene heater. One of the bathrooms, he says, looks like it can be repaired.

Marsh says he has a lot of memories here and hopes to rebuild, but isn't sure how he'll afford it.

He would gladly accept donations of bedding, furnishings and building materials to help get back on his feet. A camper trailer to which he could hook up power is another possibility, Marsh said, but there's no money for that right now.

The Red Cross has been putting Marsh and Rhames up at a hotel for the past few days, but tonight will be their last night there.

"What will you do for Christmas?"

"That's it, right there. That's my Christmas present," Marsh said with a grin and then hung his head.
[UPDATE] 12-21 11:15AM --

TFD Release:

Last night at 8:27pm, 7 units from the Tallahassee Fire Department responded to a reported house fire in the 500 Block of Red Rose Lane. Firefighters found heavy fire and smoke coming from the single family home and battled the blaze for 20 minutes before bringing it under control. The resident stated that they left cooking oil on the stove unattended, which caused the fire. The American Red Cross was called to assist the victims.

One firefighter suffered minor burns during the incident. Damages are estimated at $100,000.

UPDATE 12-20

Tallahassee, FL - TFD is on the scene of a house fire at 501 Red Rose Lane in Tallahassee.

Fire officials tell WCTV that two people were inside the house at the time the fire began.

Fire Chief Rod Jones says the cause of the fire appears to be grease left in in a skillet in the kitchen.

Jones added that the house was a complete loss but there were no injuries.


Tallahassee, FL - TFD is responding to a house fire at 501 Red Rose Lane in Tallahassee.

Details are scarce at the moment but WCTV has a crew on the way. Stay tuned to Eyewitness News for the latest information.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by jeff on Dec 24, 2010 at 06:16 AM
    Could someone please post where to send donations. I am sure there are manny blessed people who would like to share their blessings. Only in America will good people give money, time, etc to people they do not even know.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 23, 2010 at 05:14 PM
    Where can we bring donations if he can use them. I have a good quilt, lamp, dishes.
  • by wdyoung Location: Tallahassee on Dec 23, 2010 at 03:23 PM
    How can we help? Where can we donate either items or money?
  • by Anonymous on Dec 20, 2010 at 08:27 PM
    I'm one of the neighbors of this house fire, and very happy that it was contained and put out in such a very fast manor. However in the same respect hate to see it happen this close to Christmas.
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112219724 - wctv.tv/a?a=112219724
Gray Television, Inc.