Jefferson Correction Institution to Try 12 Hour Work Days

By: The News Service of Florida
By: The News Service of Florida

Tallahassee, Florida - April 7, 2011 -

Corrections officers will work 12 hour shifts at Jefferson Correctional Institution in north Florida as a prelude to possible implementation of the idea statewide, the Department of Corrections said Wednesday. Under the proposed change, officers will work fewer days – 182 days a year instead of 260 – but still get the same number of hours. They’ll also be paid for four hours more of work each pay period, agency officials said. “Twelve-hour shifts will give correctional officers more time with their families and put more money in their wallets,” said Corrections Secretary Edwin Buss. “For taxpayers, it saves money because it reduces overtime and decreases the number of officers needed at the facility.” Buss said the move was expected to save almost $170,000 annually at Jefferson C.I. alone.

• by connie Location: florida on Apr 24, 2011 at 09:30 AM
    really what should be done is get the volunteers that would really love to work twelve and put them at your main units and the one's that dont put them at your smaller places like work camps that way they will still be allowed to work there eight hour shift but they also have to realize that they may not have the days off that they want when they choose to move.
  • by mitchell Location: gulf ci on Apr 16, 2011 at 03:35 AM
    I am all for the 12,hr. shift,it gives ever one a chance for weekends off, and most of all for me more time home, but that being said I do not have kids. I think it could create a problem for parents, and alot of our staff have kids,and our staff members or important as well as thier home life
  • by Disgusted Location: North Fl. on Apr 12, 2011 at 04:54 PM
    How will this save the employee money? Who are you going to get to watch your child for 13 to 14 hours aday? A married couple with a baby and a school age chid would have to work different shifts. But that stll leaves the question about who is going to watch the children during the time the parents have to go to and from work. It also means two vehicles not one and if they don't wind up with the same days off the parents never see each other thats not a family life. a single parent how does this work? you work from 6am. to 6pm. you take your child to someone who has to feed them and get them ready for school they have to pick them up from school and feed them that night, the child has to go to bed by 8pm to be able to get the sleep they need so the parent sees them for maybe an hour. The parent works 6pm. to 6am. someone has to watch your kids during that time has to feed them get them ready for school, the parent see the kids for maybe an hour before they have to go to work. What kind of family life is that? This may work for Parents whos' kids are grown or ones who don't have kids. I don't see how its going to save this person or family money, you would be very lucky to get someone to watch your children for that long and you would certainly have to pay dearly for the service. Not everyone lives in a big city that work for the (DOC) not everyone has family living close. All this does is maybe save the state of Florida money but I doubt it will in the long run. Because they're going to lose top personel and it will be hard to replace these people. But the state dont care its what the tax payer wants. Oh by the way I,m a tax payer too ! its not what I want.
  • by C/O Location: Jefferson on Apr 8, 2011 at 06:28 PM
    Its a great idea. I have been screaming 12 hour shifts since day one. It WILL work. I am in complete support on this great change in Florida DOC change that is well needed to help reduce cost of the state, in need of less officers for operation and more time for the officers to be home with their families. Get ready C/O's! This is going state wide.
  • by Deb Location: Mich on Apr 8, 2011 at 04:52 PM
    I am correction officer where they are talking 12hrs. I would like to know if any of these instutions that goes to 12's has anyone done a study on suicide,alcoholism,divorce,and therapy rates compare to a 8hr shift. I feel their would be more problems with 12 than 8 hrs. I don't know how you can say you would spend more time with your family. Family with younger children who need that family time i feel their will not be as much as you think. What are the shifts will be florida be on? Like 8 to 8 or 7 to 7?
      by C/O on Apr 8, 2011 at 06:37 PM in reply to Deb
      this should reduce any sign's of suicide, alcoholism and divorce. the time as of right now the hours are 6 to 6. there will be more time at home and less time at work. your schedule is work 2, off 2, work 3, off 3, work 2, off 2, work 3, off 3. Really you have days off as much as you do on. So much better for our department
        by red on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM in reply to C/O
        I dont know how you can really think its good for every one I have worked for 15years with the state and just had my first child a year ago and now I have to figure out how to find some one to watch her for 14 hours a day on a rotation schedule, and I live on staff grounds im about to lose my job my home and if i dont do everything the state wants me to do im going to lose my kid, i dont have the father in the picture or any relatives.
  • by WCI on Apr 7, 2011 at 04:39 PM
    i think that it will work. as for us not working i am just glad to still have a job at the moment. and for the people who say that we don't work some of us really do work our butts off. my job is a very tedious job because grown men want to be like little children and at like hood rats.
  • by allen on Apr 7, 2011 at 03:34 PM
    A state worker making $10 a hour would make $840 in a two week pay period. The same $10 a hour worker in a private company would make $980 in a two week pay period, because the private sector is required to pay overtime after eight hours, they could of at least used vasoline.
  • by Truthtracker Location: N. Florida on Apr 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    What is strange is this week we are considered Law Enforcement, last week we weren't, that's how their getting by with paying us the additional four hours at straight time, RATHER THAN TIME AND A HALF LIKE THE PRIVATE SECTOR WHEN YOU WORK OVERTIME. Isn't that funny how when it's convenient for them, sometimes we are sometimes we aren't. Most don't have a problem with twelve hour shift's, it's how they'll be implemented lies the problem. Not that it matters 12 or 8, critical compliment is critical compliment. We'll be as short as ever and it will still be hard to get time off. Nine more and counting, hate it for the younger ones.
  • by why not 24 hour shifts Location: fl on Apr 7, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    12 hours? this will kill them.
  • by The Taxpay Yours Location: Jefferson County on Apr 7, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    We are having immense difficulty wrapping our mind around the concept of "WORK" and "COLLECTIONS OFFICERS" existing in the same sentence.
      by C/O M. on Apr 7, 2011 at 11:35 PM in reply to The Taxpay Yours
      Trust me, if you did our job for a week, you'd see it was work. What job have you worked where you were worried about getting stabbed or catching a terminal ilness? And yes, I know it's my choice, but until you jump in, SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119398104 - wctv.tv/a?a=119398104