New Orleans, LA (AP) - A federal judge has barred news organizations
from a conference over a company's claim that the government has
not yet issued a single permit to allow offshore drilling even
though a moratorium was lifted in October.
U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman said Tuesday that the hearing
would be held in his chambers. He said news organizations had no
right to attend.
The government is defending the time it is taking to approve
deepwater offshore drilling permits, which would have been
suspended under the moratorium that was lifted nearly a month ago.
Ensco Offshore claims that since the ban was lifted Oct. 12, the
government has not issued a single permit that would allow the
resumption of any previously suspended drilling activities.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.