[UPDATE] Detectives Charge Missing Man in Fraud Case

By: LCSO Press Release
By: LCSO Press Release

[UPDATE] 2-8 3:20PM --

In October 2010, the Leon County Sheriff’s Office initiated an investigation into possible fraudulent financial records relating to the day to day operation of the Petro Gas Station located at 1500
Bannerman Road. As a result, James “Eddie” Phillips, Jr. has been located and arrested.

Detectives learned that Phillips embezzled in excess of $24,000.00 from the gas station by altering daily till reports and tally sheets while he worked as manager between January and October of
2010.

When Phillips learned of the investigation, he fled the area and his family reported him missing. Based on the information revealed during the investigation, detectives obtained arrest warrants for
Phillips. On January 24, 2011, Phillips was taken into custody in Chicago, Illinois. Phillips has since been extradited to Florida and is currently in the Leon County Jail.

ARRESTED

James “Eddie” Phillips, Jr.
DOB: 06-06-1958
Charges: Organized Scheme to Defraud, Grand Theft (Over $20,000)

___________________________________

*** UPDATE 10-25-2010 ***

Deputies say they have located the motorcycle of a missing Leon County man in Georgia.

James "Eddie" Phillips was last seen in the 4500 block of Thomasville Road in Leon County on October 17th.

Investigators say Phillips' 2007 Harley Davidson motorcycle has been found in Tifton, Georgia... but, still no sign of Phillips.

Phillips is six-feet, two-inches tall...300 pounds, with a shaven head and salt and pepper beard.

Authorities say he may be in need of medical attention.

Anyone with information on Phillips' whereabouts is asked to notify the Leon County Sheriff's Office at 850-922-3300.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tallahassee, FL - The Leon County Sheriff’s Office is attempting to locate James “Eddie” Edwin Phillips, Jr. Phillips was last seen in the 4500 block of Thomasville Road on Sunday, October 17, 2010. Phillips may be driving a 2007 Harley Davidson motorcycle bearing Florida tag Y25056, and may be in need of medical attention.

Phillips, 52, is 6'-2", 300 lbs. with graying hair and brown eyes.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of James Edwin Phillips, Jr. is requested to notify the Leon County Sheriff’s Office at (850) 922-3300.

WCTV has included a picture of Phillips that was provided by the LCSO.

• by unjustice Location: Tallahassee on Jul 6, 2011 at 08:45 PM
    He's been let out of jail. Lord help us all.
  • by mr.Jitters Location: tallywally on Feb 10, 2011 at 03:56 PM
    Hope da make him wear one of da tee shirts he has hanging up on da wall in da petro.
  • by neighborhood friend Location: ga on Feb 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    I'm a old neighborhood friend who grew up right along with the phillips family. In fact, I've eaten at Nana's table many times. I have nothing but good things to say about that family other than Eddie. Carla, Timmy, Johnny, you all know what he used to do. I'm sure that all of these comments people are posting are doing nothing but hurting Ms. Phillips. I have always heard that you never throw rocks at glass houses. I hope that these continual comments dont bring out the skeltons in all of our closets - ones I'd rather not remember. Please, for the sake of our mother, just ignore everyone's comments. I really hope ms gwynn doesn't read what people are saying.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 10, 2011 at 09:03 AM
    Carla is right, leave her mom out of it, she has worked hard at that station for many years and the hard stressful times caught up with her...as far as the new owners, Eddie did nothing that they have not done to others. They have a past that is not great...but some how managed to escape serious trouble.
  • by Carla on Feb 10, 2011 at 06:33 AM
    Please everybody just stop. There is a victim and a accused individual and there families who are affected by this. Eddie is in jail and the law will handle this case. Our comments are not going to change that. My mom is Gwyn and she did what she had to do and sold the store because of health issues. I don't think it is fair for anyone to bring her into this. This is between the owner and Eddie. Please respect the victim and her family and also respect my mom and our family. This is hard enough for us all. I appreciate it and I'm sure all parties involved do to.
  • by ex employee Location: tallahassee on Feb 10, 2011 at 04:27 AM
    to the anon person - You must have not come into that store very often because if you did then the only thing you saw Eddie do was stand outside and smoke and talk about that big bannana he would ride. He would never help any of us do anything. It took him hours to do the paperwork, maybe that was because he had to figure out how to steal for the day> So keep your lieing comments to yourself.
  • by soccer dad Location: tally on Feb 9, 2011 at 06:55 PM
    Ive been reading these comments all day long and have finally decided to ask the question. If he was innocent then why did her run? I sdont think the LCSO would put arrest warrants out on an innocent man. There had to be probable cause.
  • by Anonymous Location: I live near the shell (Petro) on Feb 9, 2011 at 06:17 PM
    Theres been alot of things said about Mr.Phillps,All I can say is when my family came to the store,Ms.Phillps,was always there with her son working,and I noticed Eddie was the everyday working.They always showed us kindness and thanked us for coming there.When I found out the store was sold due to ms.phillips,illness it saden my family and my heart goes out 2 her family for all the wrong that was gone to them.I've been to the store 1 time and the people were not nice and I havnt been back !! Ms.Phillips, My prays are with u and yr family.And Thank You for beening Being so RESPECTFULL to my family !!!!
  • by Anonymous Location: tally on Feb 9, 2011 at 05:35 PM
    THERE IS 2 SIDES TO EVERY STORY.ALL THE TRUTH IS FIXING TO COME OUT !!ALL THE WRONGS THAT WERE MADE WILL BE REVEALED !!!EVERYONES NEEDS TO SHUT THE HELL UP !!!
  • by karma Location: tally on Feb 9, 2011 at 02:54 PM
    So interesting that he is stealing from the Petro's management...a thief stealing from thieves...very interesting...
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 105474318 - wctv.tv/a?a=105474318