Lawsuit: Min Wage Should Be $7.31, Not $7.25

By: The News Service of Florida
By: The News Service of Florida

Advocates for low-wage workers sued Florida on Monday, saying that minimum wage workers should have gotten a six cent raise this year. Florida increased its minimum wage in 2004, and pegged annual increases to inflation. The National Employment Law Project and Florida Legal Services said in a lawsuit filed Monday in circuit court in Leon County on behalf of four minimum wage workers and three organizations that the state wrongly decreased the minimum wage calculation in 2010 to account for economic deflation, which they contend is prohibited by a 2004 Florida Supreme Court opinion. Nobody in Florida noticed the drop in minimum wage to $7.06 an hour because it coincided with a federal increase in the minimum wage that was higher - $7.25 per hour. But in starting at the state minimum of $7.06, this year’s increase took the state wage to $7.16, moot because it would be lower than the federal minimum, the plaintiffs said. But that calculation is wrong, they allege, saying it should have started at the higher amount and gone to $7.31. That means minimum wage workers are due six cents more an hour, the plaintiffs said. The suit named the Agency for Workforce Innovation as the defendant. An AWI spokesman said the agency was reviewing the lawsuit.

• by mar Location: jennings on Jan 12, 2011 at 03:15 AM
    Look I do not know what some of you people are talking about. There are no jobs in this area and if you should see one it is for minimum wage and because you used to make more they tell you that you are over qualify.
  • by alex Location: tampa on Jan 11, 2011 at 04:58 PM
    7.31 hour that is so depressing.
  • by uneployed Location: fl on Jan 11, 2011 at 04:55 PM
    wha can you do for 6 cent. dont bother
  • by Anonymous on Jan 11, 2011 at 03:01 PM
    Anonymous on Jan 11, 2011 at 02:11 PM, YES you can get a raise. Don't expect the Government to hand it to you though. I also work for the State, and over the past 5 years my salary has gone up about 20%. The key difference is that I work hard and look for opportunities to advance. I got myself a raise, and did not wait for anyone ti GIVE me a raise. If you really think we need to GIVE you a raise, then you are one of the state workers that need to go first.
  • by Bob Location: Jasper on Jan 11, 2011 at 02:13 PM
    Let's see, six cents per hour times 100 workers is $6.00, almost what one worker makes. So I will fire one worker and then give the remaining 99 a raise and the additional duties that the one fired had. Not fair? Would you rather that I succumb to the costs of minimum wage, government regulation including providing mandatory health care and excessive taxes and go out of business. Then there will be 100 out of work not 1. Take your pick.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 11, 2011 at 02:05 PM
    Anonymous on Jan 11, 2011 at 02:11 PM, Don't wait for them to GIVE you a raise. Go GET a raise by increasing your skill set and marketing your skills and selling your skills to the highest bidder.
  • by Edith Location: Florida on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    I think Anonymous is trying to make people think he/she is dumb. However, the jobs are available but to get a job you need experience and if you have only experience in a certain area, then you do not qualify for employment. I have been a recipient of having a lot of experieince but not in the right area. I searched for a job fortwo years and every time I was told that I was over qualified for the position.
  • by just me Location: tally on Jan 11, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    hey Anonymous on Jan 11, 2011 at 01:36 PM you are right. The problem is mostly the "credentials" of the folks looking for jobs. That's what happens when folks allow the streets/govt to "raise" them. Granted, there are educated folks out of work but it will come back around for them, and they know it. Give em' 6 cents and reap the unintended consequences...
  • by Anonymous on Jan 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    I work for the State of Florida, CAN WE GET A RAISE, WE HAVE NOT HAD A RAISE IN YEARS. WE ARE LOSING BENEFITS AND JOBS WITH EACH GOVERNOR. TAXES ARE GOING UP! LIGHTS! GAS! ETC! CAN WE GET A RAISE!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    Look in the paper, there are jobs there. Also you could try searching one of the many job search sites. Don't tell me that there aren't any good paying jobs available, because I know better.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113270819 - wctv.tv/a?a=113270819