Legislators to Vote on "Baggy Pants" Bill

By: Jennifer Milton; The News Service of Florida Email
By: Jennifer Milton; The News Service of Florida Email

Students in Florida schools may soon find it's not just their parents saying no to revealing clothing in the classroom. If Senator Gary Siplin (D) gets his wish, it will be against the law for students in pre-K through 12th grade to wear clothing that shows their undergarments.

"We teach them how to do arithmetic, reading and math, so I thought why not also teach them how to dress," said Siplin.

Commonly known as the "baggy pants bill," Senate bill 228 will require district school boards to adopt a stricter dress code and punish students who violate it. Boys may have to say goodbye to saggy pants, while girls may have to opt out of wearing low-rise jeans.

"For girls, especially with your underwear showing, that's really trashy and it could send the wrong message and that could be very dangerous," said Kaloma Smith.

But some believe the government should spend more time on things like fixing the economy and creating jobs, and spend less time on fashion trends.

"I think it's kind of very low on my list of things that should be taken care of as far as government issues," said Andrew Khaleghipour.

Senator Siplin says he continues to push the idea because he believes teaching students good habits at a young age will ultimately help them become mature, responsible adults in the future.

Penalties for violating the dress code range from students being excluded from extra curricular activities to in-school suspension for up to three days.

The Senate has passed the bill several times, but it has yet to be cleared by the house of representatives.

___________________________

The News Service of Florida:

Students showing bra straps or underwear, beware. Sen. Gary Siplin, D-Orlando, wants you to cover up. The Senate Prek-12 Education Committee passed Siplin’s “Code of Student Conduct” legislation Monday, which requires district school boards to adopt a dress code that prohibits students from exposing their undergarments. A first time violation of those rules would result in the offending student being excluded from extra curricular activities. For a second offense, the student would again be excluded from activities and the principal would have to meet with a parent or guardian. A third offense would result in in-school suspension for up to three days and exclusion from activities for up to 30 days. Siplin said students who dress inappropriately are adding a distraction to the classroom setting. He also said it was incumbent on adults in authority to teach students more than reading and writing. Behavior and dress are important too, he said. “When you come to an interview with your pants sagging or your underwear showing, you may get an interview, but as soon as you leave, your application is going to get tossed in the garbage,” he said. The bill passed 3-0 and will now head to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

• by it is what it is on Feb 23, 2011 at 03:30 PM
    If the dummys owned a mirror and looked in it to see hos ridiculous they look this would not be a problem. this is without a doubt the dumbest fashion statement that there has ever been.
  • by Jim Location: Tallahassee on Feb 23, 2011 at 09:38 AM
    I used to be against this, because it is clearly a freedom of speech issue. But you, know, the more people charged with crimes means more fines and income into the coffers of the government. More people on the side of the road picking up trash. More guards to guard those people. More people in jail. More jail guards. And since only thugs and various other scum bags do this, let's get those people into the criminal justice system as soon as possible. Picking up trash on the side of the road, or mopping a floor in jail, is the only work these dirt bags will ever do anyway, so lets get the ball rolling faster for them.......
  • by Murphy on Feb 23, 2011 at 09:38 AM
    Thank you, thank you for this great news. I hate to see their underwear. It is embassing to me and not a great view. I have seen young girls (not ladies) walking with boys (not men) holding hand. I would not want to see my daughters with this type of person. Thank you, thank you, I really pray this law is put into action.
  • by just sad Location: Chattahoochee on Feb 23, 2011 at 09:22 AM
    OK let's get serious. While I admit there are times I have said "pull your pants up" before I thought about it to a kid walking by and wanted so bad to step on the hem of a boy's shorts standing in line in front of me, I can think of a lot more important things our legislators should be spending their time on. I can't understand how the heck these boys walk in those things. Do they hold them up by keeping their hands in their pockets or walking bowlegged? Either way, those prisoners that wear theirs in such a fashion were the ones advertising if you know what I mean. As for this bill being against the first amendment, "Freedom of Religion, Press (speech) and Expression", anonymous could be right. If it ever came to a debate, however, I don't think this would be something to march in front of the Capital for. It would be a site to see though and I know what their battle cry could be "Pants on the Ground, Pants on the Ground....... ROFLMAO!
  • by Amanda on Feb 23, 2011 at 08:48 AM
    I think its great. Not everyone wants to know what color ur boxers are everyday. Pull em up.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 23, 2011 at 08:15 AM
    There should be a law against GROAN MEN “sagging” their pants as well. IT IS VERY DISGUSTING!!!
  • by Cows Rule Location: Lovett, Florida on Feb 23, 2011 at 07:48 AM
    Pants on the Ground * Pants on the Ground * Lookin' like a fool * With your pants on the Ground * With the gold in your mouth * Hat turned sideways * Pants hit the ground * Call yourself a cool cat * With your pants on the ground * Walkin' downtown with your pants on the ground! ……Giddy-up
  • by ofcourse on Feb 23, 2011 at 07:43 AM
    KEVIN and Anonymous would have you beleive that us "closed minded people" are against everything. Well you "open minded, anything goes people" have no morals. Your rights end at the tip of my nose.
  • by Kevin Location: Tallahassee on Feb 23, 2011 at 06:59 AM
    What, you guys run out of dead people to pardon? Keep your laws off my kids pants!
  • by Jobs? Location: Perry on Feb 23, 2011 at 06:50 AM
    Jobs aint no important for those without a belt. Better a belt than nothing. Joe, you is just wrong. Sagging started in jail because they has no belts - or jobs.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116635088 - wctv.tv/a?a=116635088