[UPDATE] Local 4-Year-Old Dies in Furniture Accident

By: WCSO Release
By: WCSO Release

UPDATE 01-19-2010 at 7:00pm by Jerry Askin

Hundreds of people filled Bevis Funeral Home in Crawfordville Wednesday to remember four year old Landon Greene. Deputies say he died after a dresser fell on top of him.

Landon's uncle Jon McCarthy says, "He was such a great little boy, this was a freak accident. And I think that's a little bit difficult." He goes on to say, "The world's gonna be a lot sader place not having that little boy around - I'll tell you that."

Deputies say Landon was playing with his 5-year old cousin at his grandmother's home on Lonnie Raker Lane in Crawfordville Saturday, when he decided to climb a 5 foot tall dresser. The dresser fell on top of Landon and he suffered a fatal head injury.

Kimberly Dutton is the principal at Landon's Pre-K Center. She says, "Losing Landon is a tragic loss for all of the teachers and staff at Wakulla Pre K. He was a kind and compassionate student and he'll be missed."

Dutton says all teachers and staff wore a blue ribbon Wednesday in honor of Landon. She says, "Our hearts go out to the family.... just seeing them after the funeral, our hearts go out to them."

And even people in the community who didn't know the family are grieving their loss.

Wakulla County Resident Becky Karate says, I have a 5-year old son and a 10-year old daughter and I couldn't imagine having to go through that.

The principal of the Wakulla Pre-K Center told WCTV she's working with the family to try and set up something more at the school to remember Landon Greene.

Wakulla County sheriff deputies are ruling the 4-year old's death a tragic accident. _____________________________________________________
[UPDATE] 1-19 Noon --

A family is in mourning today as a funeral is held for a little Crawfordville boy who died in a tragic accident.

The Wakulla County Sheriff's Office says 4-year-old Landon Greene died Jan. 15 after a piece of furniture fell on top of him, causing a fatal head injury. The child had been playing at the home of his grandparents, Charles and Lavonne Greene, on Lonnie Raker Lane.

The victim was playing with a young cousin when he tried to climb the 5 ½ foot tall dresser. When Mrs. Greene heard a crash and arrived in the bedroom, she saw the child pinned under the dresser.
EMS officials rushed the child to TMH where he was pronounced dead about an hour later.

The death has been ruled an accident.

Landon Greene's funeral is underway at this hour (12:00PM).

____________________

WCSO Release:

A 4-year-old male child died Jan. 15 in Crawfordville after a large piece of wooden furniture fell on top of him, according to Sheriff David Harvey. The unattended death has been ruled a tragic accident.

Deputy Rachel Oliver responded to the scene where a large dresser fell on the child causing a fatal head injury. The child, Landon Greene, was at the home of his grandparents, Charles and Lavonne Green, when they heard a loud noise from a bedroom.

The victim was playing with a 5-year-old cousin when he attempted to climb the 5 ½ foot tall dresser. When Lavonne heard a crash and arrived in the bedroom from the living room, she saw the child under the dresser which was full of clothing.

EMS officials rushed the child to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead approximately one hour later. Detectives Rob Giddens and Erika Fore also investigated with Captain Chris Savary.

Pictures of Landon are attached above.

• by tammy barrs Location: crawfordville on Feb 18, 2011 at 02:39 PM
    that was my friend's niece i am so sorry to layla from:ashley
  • by ricky Location: crawfordville on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    i am friends of the wonderful family andi take it pessonal when these sorry people post these negative and heartless messages.if i was to run into one of these people or all of them i would punch them square in the face for being so rude.how bout that.
  • by Jon Location: New Orleans on Jan 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM
    Landon was my nephew. On behalf of my family I would like to say thank you to all of you for your support, prayers and kind words. Ignore the ignorant ramblings you may see on here. Some people love to judge and post on these message boards just to get a rise out of decent people like the rest of you. Landon was with my mother when this happened and I can ensure you all that there is not now, or ever has been, a grandmother who loved her grandchildren more than my mom does. All of our hearts are broken but please know that the support and generosity that has been shown to us all during this time makes all of us have more faith in humanity. Thank you all and I hope no one ever has to experience anything like this. I have included my email address with this post for anyone who may feel like they need to be judgmental of my family. You are welcome to email me personally but do not write that nonsense here, my mother, step-father, brother and sister-in-law have enough to deal with.
  • by lacresha Location: crawfordville on Jan 20, 2011 at 03:32 PM
    Trey this is not about you or your judgemental comments but I will say these parents were wonderful people along with the grandparents.. They have lost the most precious gift they ever had.. My heart goes out to them.. I pray God will give them strength and peace in there life. Loosing a child is something that no one wants to face so in a time of sadness and sarrow we need to show support and love... We should not post ugly comments to make ourselves feel better... Amber and Jarrod I have known you guys my whole life and I have saw you with Landon.. You guys were wonderful parents.. I love you and know You guys are in my heart thoughts and prayers..
  • by Anonymous Location: Crawfordville on Jan 20, 2011 at 09:38 AM
    A dresser fell on my son a few years ago from climbing on the drawers. Luckily he walked away from the incident. My heart goes out to this family in their time of loss.God bless this family and comfort them.
  • by Step Location: Here on Jan 20, 2011 at 09:22 AM
    This could have happened to anyone. So sorry.
  • by jean Location: thomasville on Jan 20, 2011 at 08:37 AM
    God picked a beautiful flower which will grow all over heaven and smile forever more.....
  • by someone who knows Location: crawfordville on Jan 20, 2011 at 08:23 AM
    My Heart goes out to the Family I know exactly how u are feeling I lost my son at the age of four 12 years ago as well and I tell you it will get better but it takes a very long time I to this day miss my son very much and there is not a day that goes by that i dont think about him. so all I can do is tell you to hang in there and never forget.also the thing that help me out the most is i would write in a journal to him everyday. Im very sorry for your loss.
  • by John Location: Tallahassee on Jan 20, 2011 at 07:45 AM
    Tragic accident. I feel sorry for all parties involved. God bless the family.
  • by Amanda Location: Live Oak on Jan 20, 2011 at 07:02 AM
    I am SO SORRY for the lose of this child. I COULD NOT imagine how much PAIN this family is going through right now. My child has tried to climb on things when he was smaller. I was fortunate to have caught him before anything were to happen. This is not a case of an UNSUPERVISED child. Children will be children, they explore! That is what being a child is all about. They cannot live in a protected bubble. My heart goes out to this family in their time of mourning.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114155144 - wctv.tv/a?a=114155144