Local Residents Hope For Change When Florida Governor-Elect Rick Scott Takes Office

By: Jennifer Milton Email
By: Jennifer Milton Email

Florida's Governor-elect Rick Scott will be sworn into office this week and some local residents are hopeful a new administration will be a fresh start for the sunshine state.

Some folks in Tallahassee say they're not sure what to expect in the next four years because Scott lacks political experience and they're not familiar with his policies. But, others are hoping the new year and the new Governor will bring about positive changes.

"I think it's going to be a great opportunity for someone that has new and bright ideas to come in and possibly make some changes for the positive for our state," said Chris Jensen.

"Well, I'm going to take an optimistic point of view and hope that things will be on the up swing. I hope that he will look at the economic issues as well as the health issues and make a very big difference," said Joyce Bridges.

Scott will be Florida's 45th Governor. Be sure to check WCTV.TV for continuing coverage of Rick Scott's inauguration.

• by We are broke on Jan 3, 2011 at 02:41 PM
    Suprise we had jobs when Bush was in office.
  • by We are broke on Jan 3, 2011 at 02:38 PM
    To, ????, Are you serious. You are crying because you didn't get a raise. We don't have jobs. We don't know how we are going to get by. What is wrong with you?
  • by We are broke. on Jan 3, 2011 at 02:34 PM
    Sunrise, you are an idiot. Stop campaigning to have people fired. That only creates more problems for are economy and will only encourage them to bring in more money in from outside instead of from within. If tourism becomes are main source of funding Florida will become a Mecca for gaming, casinos and all that that entails, prostitution, higher crime ect
  • by We are broke on Jan 3, 2011 at 02:25 PM
    ole timmer we are broke, your neighbors are unemployed. Their homes are going into forclosure, and thier children are going hungry. We do not need to increase enviromental or any other kind of spending. We need to stop spending. Some of you guys really are clueless just how dire our situation is. You have a leader who wants to deliberately destroy capitalisim by spending it into bankruptcy a lesson he learned by one of his professors. Wakulla springs is the least of our worries. Wake up.
  • by To Surprise at 7:33am on Jan 3, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    You talk of being tired of the liberal left. Ummmm....we have had a repub gov the last 12 years and repubs control the legislature too.
  • by Paul Location: Tallahassee on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    Having come from a state where most state employees were conservative Republicans, I smile because they were the loudest if asking for non forthcoming raises. Rick"I can buy an election" Scott is mothing the same rhetoric. My guess, most state emplyees here are also rahter conservative. If so they you shall reap what you sow, so no complaining. Me, I think he is a very rich crook and doesn ot care nor understand the 'ordinary' Floridian. I weep for the future of this state
  • by Anonymous on Jan 3, 2011 at 09:54 AM
    "Nonessential" state workers...this will be funny when you're begging for em back. like it or not state workers DO put in hard work! Some of them. Don't bash them because of your unfortunate events in life.
  • by ???? Location: Wakulla on Jan 3, 2011 at 09:37 AM
    Let the Governor privatize!! I make more money with the private sector anyway...I took a $14,000 cut in pay to work for the State of Florida....worked for 1 1/2 years and then went private, made good money. The State took back over and I took an almost $18,000 cut in pay. You guys out there that think the State workers do nothing, think again....I take care of the criminals that YOU do not want on the streets, but thanks to our Governor they will be back on the streets again with YOU!! Less that I have to worry with...we have not gotten a raise in 5 years, but yet the cost of living keeps going up....I could go on and on but will not...think about it before you put the State workers down, we are being forced to work harder with less!! We are running out of ways to do this people!! Thanks to everyone that put this wonderful man in office.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 3, 2011 at 05:20 AM
    I hope that the new governor will cut some of the entitlement programs of the state. Lets stop giving and giving, and make people earn what they get. Lets stop all the give aways.
  • by Surprise Location: leon county on Jan 3, 2011 at 04:33 AM
    As a life long resident of both here and Florida I've already got enough of the Liberal Lefts Hope & Change. ... (wink) I'd just like to see & hear a new tone from our state workers of knowing who they work for giddy up. (smile) ~ Here's a hint for our new Gov. ? ~ Next time our "Nonessential" state workers are told to stay home and not come to work? tell em to stay there period. There can't be much pride in being nonessential in the 1st. place so let em regain their pride in the private sector. "Lets get to work" Gov. (smile)
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112781089 - wctv.tv/a?a=112781089