MLK Day Rally, March Postponed

By: Deneige Broom Email
By: Deneige Broom Email

The kids were out of school. People had a day off from work.

But unlike in year's past, the lawn of the capitol and streets leading to it, were empty for Martin Luther King Junior Day.

The NAACP planned to hold a rally at the C-K Steele Plaza in Tallahassee on Monday, then march to capitol to honor Doctor King.

Multiple speakers including Lt. Governor Jennifer Carroll were scheduled to speak and walk the streets Monday but the rain washed away that dream, temporarily.

It didn't stop people from taking a moment to reflect on what the day means.

Nor did it keep Tallahassee resident, Pia Woodley from showing up in hopes of teaching her son a lesson.

"I was disappointed. I think it's important for him to understand who he is as a black male, and the possibilities that he has before him. I want to ingrain those things that Doctor King talked about in his spirit," said Woodley.

The puddles and raindrops couldn't drown out the reason for the federal holiday.

"Being a person of mixed race, Martin Luther King really symbolizes, the great effort that it took for all of us in this country to be afforded equal rights and opportunities," said FAMU student Emerson Naylor. "I think a lot of people really forget that a lot of sacrifices have been made."

"For us in NAACP, it's a call to action, every time we do it just to remind us that we must stay vigilant and be on guard," said NAACP, Tallahassee Chapter President, Dale Landry. "Doctor King's Day isn't just about black folks, this is about all people. We've got to do this together."

So while, Woodley's 7-year-old son Xavier is enjoying a day of freedom from school, he still learned a little bit, even if he couldn't march.
Xavier said succinctly, "He's a very great man."

Dale Landry said they were concerned about the power cords that would've needed to run along the ground, coming in contact with the puddles of water.

They haven't finalized plans yet, but the NAACP says they're working out a new date for the rally and march.

Landry would like it to be the end of January or early February.

• by idea Location: South Carolina on Jan 18, 2011 at 05:30 PM
    Hey, maybe yall can erect a statue of George Washington then cover it up for some unknown reason.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 18, 2011 at 03:40 PM
    Guy and Heyyou, your comments were not necessary here, but I would expect that from things like you. Again I say, "Be patient with the ignorant and merciless with the stupid", so I'll be patient with the both of you, but I will show you no mercy.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    heyyou, I am sure that WCTV will have the date. I am also sure you and your crowd will not have the cahones to show up. In the mean time, please enlighten us on this evidence of Dr. King's being a "crook".
  • by Anonymous on Jan 18, 2011 at 08:47 AM
    Who cares? Get over it.
  • by Vic Location: Tallahassee on Jan 18, 2011 at 06:46 AM
    Writing from a jail cell, King declared that the code of justice is not man's law: It is God's law. Imagine a politician saying that today!
  • by Guy Location: Here on Jan 18, 2011 at 04:48 AM
    That's not very nice, Mr. Black. Is this how you respond to people that may disagree with MLK on the day after MLK day? I'm sure you were planning on attending a church service with your humble and peaceful rant. I could pick one of one million stereotypical statements about "your peoples", however, that's just not necessary. You're too easy. Have a wonderful day, Mr. Black.
  • by mr black Location: everywhere on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM
    how about we march to hwy 20 or better yet your mobile home you are mad because all the meth is gone an you lost your job rite you people make me sick waste of flesh an you would never have the guts to say that to any of my peoples face hope you find out you got a real bad case of skin cancer have a nice day.
  • by heyyou Location: tally on Jan 17, 2011 at 08:14 PM
    NAACP, please hurry to release a date. My crowd and I are planning to protest peacefully to reveal the truth about Michael King and the crook he was.
  • by Rick Location: Tallahassee on Jan 17, 2011 at 05:55 PM
    What about march on down to the south side and clean up that mess down there. Quit worrying about the stuff of that past and take care of whats going on now!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113969304 - wctv.tv/a?a=113969304