Mandatory Summer School?

By: Jill Chandler Email
By: Jill Chandler Email

Tallahassee, FL - Representative Larry Metz proposed a bill in the House that will require college students to take summer school classes, when they can usually opt-out.

More and more students are coming into college with credits from Advanced Placement classes that they took in high school or from dual enrollment.

With an increasing number of students having college credits even before they step foot on campus, many facilities are not being used as much in the summer leaving the universities to foot the bill for upkeep.The classrooms that are being used- are half empty.

Representative Larry Metz says his bill will make the distribution of students more even throughout the year.

Metz says, "We're going to serve more students, hopefully graduate more students, and fulfill the labor market needs for the bachalaurette graduates."

Much of the discussion over the bill concerns Bright Futures and how it will play into the role of summer school.

The bill passed and it's next step is the Education Committee.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
House Bill 4177:
Public Postsecondary Education: Deletes provisions relating to exemption for student who earns certain credits through acceleration mechanisms from requirement of public postsecondary educational institution mandating enrollment during summer term.

• by I don't mind Location: tally on Apr 21, 2011 at 04:50 PM
    I don't think this a completely bad idea. I love taking summer classes I think they should be mandatory for kids who are behind on credits oor need to boost their GPA....that's why i'm going.
  • by Marie Location: Taylor on Mar 31, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    Not only will this be a detriment to students because scholarships will not pay for summer courses, but it will increase the stress on all who are struggling to keep their GPA high enough to progress within their programs. I worked a full time job the entire time I was working on my AA and BA degrees and was glad when summer came, that way I had at least a full month where I did not have to fret over classes, homework, and my everyday stress from a job and home life. I believe college students have earned the choice to not take a summer semester class and just relax, just as the rest of the students do.
  • by Mindi on Mar 29, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    Im pretty sure College gets enough money out of me considering I pay out of pocket. The summer is the only time I can work doubles to pay for my classes. This is the stupidest thing Ive ever heard!!
  • by Michael Location: Tallahassee on Mar 29, 2011 at 09:10 AM
    This is a ridiculous proposition. The decision to attend summer session has ALWAYS been at the student's discretion. Also, it is refreshing to not have to compete with 40,000 other people every day during summer. If this foolishness is implemented, I for one will NOT be attending. "Even distribution of students"... Give me a break
  • by Bubba Location: Tallahassee on Mar 29, 2011 at 09:08 AM
    More government intrusion from those claiming to support smaller govt. They are lying aloud and no one sees or hears them. Hard to say which is worse.
  • by Ann Location: Tallahassee on Mar 29, 2011 at 09:06 AM
    During every summer I was an undergrad, I was lucky enough to find internships in my field of interest. Through those internships, I met a lot of people in my field, got great hands-on experience and eventually got to come here to work with a great professor. If I had to take classes during the summer, none of this would have happened. This will be a detriment to most students.
  • by Anon Location: Tally on Mar 29, 2011 at 07:00 AM
    Well this is completely idiotic except for the rich. They are trying to raise tuition but yet tell you when you "MUST" attend. You can tell the ones who are making the laws are making the $$$ or dont have kids to send to school. Rich get richer poor get poorer and dumb stay dumb....
  • by BON Location: TALLY on Mar 29, 2011 at 06:31 AM
    BRIGHT FUTURES DOES NOT COVER SUMMER CLASSES, HOW WILL THEY BE PAID?
  • by My2Cents Location: Tallahassee on Mar 29, 2011 at 06:23 AM
    What about the students attending college under scholarship programs that do not pay tuition during the summer?
  • by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2011 at 06:21 AM
    Hmm...guess I won't be able to feed myself anymore. With rising food costs, tuition costs, utilities and not being able to work as much...sounds like a disaster.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118810419 - wctv.tv/a?a=118810419