[UPDATE] Locals Look to McDonald's For Jobs

By: AP, Lanetra Bennett Email
By: AP, Lanetra Bennett Email

[UPDATE] by Lanetra Bennett - Tallahassee, FL - April 19, 2011

There were a lot of "happy" meals at McDonald's Tuesday, April 19th.

The fast food chain is gaining a lot of points--not from kids, but from those who are looking to enter or re-enter the workforce.

McDonald's applicant, Atantay Henderson, says a lot is riding on his interview.

Henderson says, "Financially, it would help me a lot. It'll be really a blessing to have something that can come in and help me out when I really do need it in bad times."

April 19th is McDonald's National Hiring Day.

The company plans to bring 50,000 people on board at its 14,000 restaurants across the United States in one day.

Tallahassee applicant Sharva Mitchell said, "I'm hoping I will get the job."

Jasmin McMillian says she got her job on national hiring day two years ago.

McMillian says, "I love McDonald's. It's a great experience. I meet a lot of new people, make a lot of friends. It's great."

The company also wants to change the negative perception of working at McDonald's.

The term "McJobs" is even in the dictionary which defines it as "a low-paying job that requires little skill and provides little opportunity for advancement."

Erika Rojas says that definition is far from the truth and says the job is more than flipping burgers.

The single-mother started working at McDonald's in West Palm Beach as a crew member in 2001. She is now a store manager in Tallahassee.

Rojas says, "I never imagined that I would be here. But, now my goal is being a vice president or something like that of McDonald's. That's my real goal. I want to stay at McDonald's definitely for a long, long time, until I get retired or I get my own stores."

The company says the average pay for the new jobs is $8.30 an hour.

Compare that to the federal and Florida minimum wage of $7.25, and $5.15 in Georgia, and a lot of new hires will be saying, "da da da da da, I'm Lovin' It."

The company's hiring goal equals between three and four
new hires per restaurant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

April 19, 2011 -- OAK BROOK, Ill. (AP) --

McDonald's Corp., seeking to change by the stereotype that working in fast food is a dead end, is holding a hiring blitz.

The company is making a well-publicized push to hire 50,000
workers Tuesday. However, McDonald's usually staffs up for summer
anyway. A spokeswoman says last year, McDonald's hired 50,000
employees throughout April.

The burger chain is also eager to change the perception of the
term "McJobs." It might be a tall order for a word that even the
Oxford English Dictionary defines as "an unstimulating, low-paid
job with few prospects."

The company says its jobs teach important skills and that many
of its executives started as crew members.

McDonald's, based in Oak Brook, Ill., says franchisees will set
wages but most pay more than the $7.25-an-hour federal minimum.

___________________________________

April 4, 2011 --

McDonald's Corp. plans to hold its first national hiring day
April 19 to fill 50,000 openings at its restaurants nationwide.

The company says it is making a concerted effort to add staff as
its business improves and as more of its restaurants stay open 24
hours a day.

The company's hiring goal translates to between three and four
new hires per restaurant.

McDonald's says turnover slowed because of the weak economy. The
company sees an opportunity to attract employees in a tough job
market.

McDonald's held a similar event in its Western region last year.
More than 60,000 people applied for the 13,000 positions.

Those who are interested can apply in stores or online. Some
restaurants will hold events and interviews that day.

McDonald's is based in Oak Brook, Ill.

• by if Location: nf on Apr 20, 2011 at 09:28 AM
    600 people showed up for 50 jobs in gainsville for these mcdonalds jobs.if our state workers quit their replacements are ready to start today.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 20, 2011 at 06:27 AM
    Your just mad because state workers have good benefits.
  • by shadow on Apr 20, 2011 at 03:44 AM
    Was in the McDonald's on Magnolia by Tallahassee Ford yesterday. Every table was occupied with none of the occupants consuming any food. They were all just talking and talking on their cellphones and those of us that actually purchased food had to go outside and eat it. Outside I was approached by a crack head that wanted money. I guess he didn't know that McD was hiring. Last time there for many reasons.
  • by Kevin Location: GA on Apr 19, 2011 at 04:06 PM
    Can we start with the welfare lists - if we could get 50,000 people jobs at McDonalds, and off of welfare......Wow, what would that do for our economy??
      by Tally Mom on Apr 20, 2011 at 08:46 AM in reply to Kevin
      Right on Kevin!!!
  • by T total redneck Location: Wakulla on Apr 19, 2011 at 02:05 PM
    That counts me out. I'm a white dude. MacDonalds don't hire white males after we build the restaurant. Affirmative Action thingy.
      by Cool Babe on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM in reply to T total redneck
      Y'all are disgusting creatures that’s why!
        by Anonymous on Apr 20, 2011 at 06:23 AM in reply to Cool Babe
        That's what we say about y'all.
  • by wendy Location: fl on Apr 19, 2011 at 08:51 AM
    hear is your sign state workers.
      by Drinky Crow on Apr 20, 2011 at 09:03 AM in reply to wendy
      "hear" is your sign? Wow, did you come up with that all by yourself? Funny, but I doubt that you could even hold a McJob, let alone anything with the state.
      by tally on Apr 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM in reply to wendy
      HERE is your sign, Apparently Wendy can't spell.
  • by Former convenience clerk on Apr 19, 2011 at 06:55 AM
    Every decade I get a job (between executive positions) at a local convenience store to relearn humility. Guess what? They are the hardest positions I have held. Not only do you deal with angry arrogant people but you must be an accountant, inventory specialist, a janitor, and be able to multi-task 8-12 hours a shift. Also, a counter Psychologist for broken hearted "regulars" who need a friend after divorce or death. Let's not forget a political analyst. It's commonly called "customer service". Then the managers come in hung over and cuss you out and threaten to fire you with little sarcastic sticky notes, etc... I love my convenience store clerks!!! Try it sometime when you need some humility, it works. All for $200.00 a week.
      by yep on Apr 20, 2011 at 08:45 AM in reply to Former convenience clerk
      Sorry dude, your job isn't THAT hard.
  • by MsP Location: MIA on Apr 5, 2011 at 01:51 PM
    I'm sitting here reading some of these comments and you people should be ashame of yourself...like one person said some money is better then no money....i am a college student (full-time) ill take a McDonalds part-time job anytime!!!!!!
  • by ??? on Apr 4, 2011 at 08:06 PM
    mcdonald's has plenty of young adults who want to work and instead has them waste their parents gas going for 4-5 interviews with no intention of hiring them... i'd like to know how many people got hired in tally?
  • by Anonymous on Apr 4, 2011 at 07:05 PM
    yeah, give us 50,000 minimum wage jobs so the poor can perpetuate themselves.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119181104 - wctv.tv/a?a=119181104